Foxes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Foxes Reviews

½ May 19, 2015
Jodie Foster and Cherie Currie (lead singer of The Runaways) are foxy 1980s teen foxes in this film that plays out like an expose of the secret lives of teenagers ALA "Kids" or "Thirteen," though not quite as shocking. At it's heart, it's a classic juvenile delinquent film formula about unsupervised teenagers but updated for the 80s with a Giorgio Moroder score and stylish direction by Adrian Lyne (in his directorial debut) with Lyne's signature focus on sexuality. Besides Foster and Currie, the film also features Laura Dern in her first credited film appearance, Scott Baio, Robert Romanus (Jennifer Jason Leigh's skeezy boyfriend from "Fast Times at Ridgemount High), Sally Kellerman, Randy Quaid and Lois Smith as Mrs. Axman. It's a rather breezy film that follows the girls over the course of a few days, but the film did make me want to go back and look at director Lyne's filmography and I was quite surprised how short his list of films were. He's made some iconic and quite memorable films, even if most of them were slickly made trash like "Fatal Attraction," "9 1/2 Weeks," "Flashdance," "Indecent Proposal," or "Unfaithful." Although those films are clearly sexploitation for the mainstream, he did infuse them with an intelligence that is absent most films of that ilk, which I do think affords Lyne with credit for being a smart and talented director. I will say that "Jacob's Ladder" did rise above that level of smart trash Lyne mostly made and did qualify as an "art film." I really wish Lyne would put out more work. He's an interesting director for sure. I also have to say I'm quite glad to see that Giorgio Moroder is now working more and putting out new material.
½ April 10, 2015
Good minor coming of age flick that without warning just ends....I hate when that happens.
½ March 18, 2014
Interesting movie. For someone who did not grow up with such wild circumstances, It is difficult to imagine. The ending was abrupt and unsatisfactory.
July 28, 2013
great movie of how it was in the 80's
July 22, 2013
Meh. I surely wouldn't bother to watch it again.
March 31, 2013
I don't care how old it is----it's like modern-day teens, and it's depicting the real-life.
January 28, 2013
Confusing plot, that doesn't go any where. Characters well done..but story is unclear and jumps around randomly. Not the best of the 80's.
November 16, 2012
Jodie Foster, Scott Baio, Sally Kellerman, Randy Quaid (as a creepy old dude marrying a 16 year old), Laura Dern, Robert Romanus (yeah the guy from Fast Times), and the band Angel formed by Greg Giuffria. Surprisingly good movie takes place in 1979 LA about 4 teenage girls.
May 23, 2012
Jodie Foster stars in this movie dealing with her friends and drugs , family etc. Her early days in film.
½ April 29, 2012
You're like all four Beach Boys rolled up in one pair of flippers.

A group of high school friends in the San Fernando Valley decide that they don't need to live with their parents anymore. Each girl has their own personal issues to overcome; but once out on their own, they discover life is more complicated than they anticipated and some of their issues that caused the problems with their parents will only get worse once they are on their own.

"She got grounded."
"How come?"
"She's a virgin."

Adrian Lyne, director of Flashdance, Fatal Attractions, Jacob's Ladder, Indecent Proposal, and Nine 1/2 Weeks, delivers Foxes. The storyline for this picture is very good and this is a great coming of age film in similar regards to Easy Rider. I loved the plot told from the female perspective and the acting was fantastic. The cast includes Jodie Foster, Cherie Curry, Marilyn Kagan, Randy Quad, and Scott Biao.

"I hate my hips."

Foxes was a movie my wife DVR'd and decided she didn't want to see. I decided to give it a shot and thought it was very good. The characters are well portrayed and delivered and the cast was very impressive. I was especially impressed with Cherie Curry. Overall, this is an excellent drama that was well written and is definitely worth your time.

"No dip? Fuck you all."

Grade: A
April 25, 2012
One of the better coming of age movies of the early 80's anyone who came from a broken home can relate to the characters..This also features a standout performance by Cherie Currie of The Runaways fame,
February 18, 2012
"Just because we had you fitted for a diaphragm doesn't make you a woman!"... soundtrack suspiciously free of Runaways songs
January 22, 2012
Performances are great, the film itself is lacking, but not bad.
½ November 6, 2011
Foxes feels like a dirty after school special. Although hardly a classic it's probably the best female teenage angst flix out there that greatly benefits from having a solid cast involved..yes even Scott Baio. Fans of the late 70s should check it out from The Runaways Cherie Currie alone. As the most fucked up of the four girls she is the stand out just on sheer presence alone. She just has such a natural charisma that works so well w/ Jodie Foster's natural acting talent. Even though it's the girls (& the other teenage cast involved) show the adult cast is strong. Sally Kellerman has always been underrated & her mother/daughter relationship w/ Foster is fantastic. Randy Quaid was once a great actor before he was forever to be type cast as Cousin Eddie in Vacation movies. A little too melodramatic @ times to rank up there w/ something like Over The Edge it does have it's place & if I had a teenage daughter I would make her watch it..& then lock her in her room until she was 21
½ March 9, 2011
i enjoyed the watch it's more of a movie i'd watch with my girlfriends
½ March 7, 2011
I don't understand what all the hype was about this movie. Maybe because it was controversial at one point? I agree with a previous reviewer that the editing was terrible. The ending didn't seem to make much sense.
½ February 16, 2011
Sigh...I'll never get the time I wasted watching this back! Ye all be warned! Not even Jodie Foster could save this! Take a pass.
January 8, 2011
I saw this drama on TV a long time ago, I thought it was pretty boring for the most part, but it seemed a pretty realistic view of teenage girls. Plus, there are a bunch of stars in this, so it's an okay movie.
½ August 31, 2010
Kind of muddled. Does not seem to be very well edited and the story skips around a little bit and doesn't always make a lot of sense. Also, WTF with the young bride at the end? Aren't these girls meant to be like 16 or something?!
I kind of liked it for it's early 80's setting - the fashions were amusing, (those HUGE glasses), and I was interested to see Cherie Currie act. On the whole it is a story of female friendship, which is always good, but I think it could have been executed a little better.
½ August 8, 2010
Introducing: Cherie Currie. A young Jodie Foster is worth watching, otherwise....