Foxes - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Foxes Reviews

July 31, 2010
Foxes was an after-school blockbuster movie made to spread awareness of the dangers of drugs, sex, alcohol and other issues of the late 70s. The four girls are represented each with a wonderful actress. Annie is the most troubled of them all, constantly getting drunk, high, and hanging out with the wrong crowd. Her father is a mentally insane L.A. Policeman who beats her constantly. The girls usually stay at Jodie Foster's character's house, to hide from other troubles surrounding them.
Soon, they get their own house for the four of them, throw a wild party, and things just go down hill from there. Annie's addiction continues and all the girls face similar problems (one even being jealous of other girls because she was a virgin). Jodie Foster and Scott Baio's characters then try to save Annie, after a group of thugs try to kill her and her friends. But Annie ends up getting lost after escaping the thugs. Near the end of the movie, Annie's character dies a tragic death after being picked up as a hitchhiker by a drunken couple who crash into the back of an 18-Wheeler. The graphic death of their best friend leaves the girls scarred. They all try to better themselves and, at the end Jodie's character prevails.
I found the movie enjoyable, but nevertheless predictable. I couldn't stand Scott Baio as he had been in so many other movies of this genre at the time. But Jodie and the other girls had a distinct aura emitting from their characters that made them a lovable bunch. Like most movies filmed in 1979 that carried over to the 80s, the film was out-dated at the time of release. The turn of the decade had proven that technology and film-making would advance rapidly. The movie still carried a lasting effect after I watched it, though.
Though this movie is a cliché of other Just Say No esque movies of those days, it is still a treat to watch. And for some, this movie may even be moving. And the theme song is very catchy! (20th century foxes...)
July 29, 2010
Depressing little slice of late-seventies L.A. life for four teenage girls. Jodie Foster does the best acting of career, pretending Angel is a band that is a) good and b) worth seeing in concert. Scott Baio is really cute. Marilyn Kagan is right in style, with her giant glasses. Worth watching.
June 21, 2010
Melodramatic and amateurish, Foxes is only of interest for Cherrie Currie and Jodie Foster fans. Their talent doesn't match; Currie is inexperienced, rough around the edges and nearly wears her character's believability out until a sudden ending; Foster is more somber and tries to bring weight to her role and the film. Unfortunately she can't save a script mired in maudlin cliche and rambling faux-poetry. This would have been a great premise for a fun little tough-girls film in the vein of Switchblade SIsters. As it is, it feels more like a weepy chick flick with some rough mildly interesting rough edges.
May 29, 2010
It's too bad Cherie Currie's acting career never took off because she was good in this, even though the movie itself wasn't that great.
May 28, 2010
A non-sensational-sincere portrait of teenage girls growing up in LA. Director Adrian Lynne wonderfully develops and arcs each of his characters that center around Jeannie, magnificently played by Jodie Foster. Lynne also along with cinematographer Len Bijou produce an incredible visual style that beautifully captures late '70s LA.
½ May 11, 2010
A group of four teenage girls in the San Fernando Valley is dealing with the normal problems you have at that age. They try to forget about the negatives things in their lifes by partying and having fun. Deidre (Kandice Stroh) is fascinated by sex, Madge (Marilyn Kagan) is a bit nerdish, Annie (Cherie Currie) is into drugs and Jeanie (Jodie Foster) is the most grown up and she takes care of them all. They think that school is crap, their boyfriends immature and grown-ups come from another planet. Jeanie is worried about Annie and her behaviour. She risks her neck more than once trying to keep Annie clean, and safe-and-sound. But Annie's unstable behavior keeps everyone on the edge..

Known about this movie since it came out, but never seen it. And due to me revisiting The Runaways lately and the leadsinger Cherie Currie, I ended up wanting to see this movie. This is a bit of an unfocused flick I think. I felt that there was no real natural flow or transition between a lot of scenes. This is Adrian Lynes first movie, so I reckon that is a bit obvious. But, the performances are pretty strong, particularly from Jodie Foster. "Foxes" is seen as a teen classic today, and a lot of people seem to like it. I do think it is worth a watch.
May 4, 2010
well, this movie is kinda really ok and one of good drama movie and starring jodie foster did performance this movie. jodie foster and scott "chachi" baio did reunion film in 1976 "bugsy malone". also starring real-life band called "the runaways" cherie currie and she seen cute. and so some disappoint ending scene.
April 19, 2010
Better than I expected. Has kind of a strange tone going on - not melancholy exactly, but close to it. Does a really good job of exploring the whole "troubled youth" thing without being overly sensational or judgmental. Foster is good as always, Currie is an unusual but effective presence, and Scott Baio was allegedly 20 when this was made but he could easily pass for 12. The film's end takes a disappointing turn towards the maudlin - early warning sign of the downturn is right around the time a mother gets a monologue - but overall this is still more than worth checking out.
April 4, 2010
One of the better coming of age movies of the early 80's anyone who came from a broken home can relate to the characters..This also features a standout performance by Cherie Currie of The Runaways fame,
January 17, 2010
a coming of age story set in LA in 1979. it does a fair job of capturing the various dysfunctions of these teens but the overall flow of the movie is pretty dull. there is a cool skateboard chase sequence.

i remember seeing the previews for this movie when i was 10 and seeing scott baio with the skateboard and thinking it was cool. i think i'd just gotten my first skateboard around that time. after 30 years i finally got around to watching it. kind of fun for me to travel back to that era but not a great movie.
½ October 14, 2009
It's not just that this movie has aged a lot, the biggest problem is that it's so unconvincing despite one or two decent actors.
Don't misunderstand me, I really like Jodie Foster, but the script and the dialog is too poor, even if Jodie Foster does the best she can (and you have to admit how mature she always appears, even in her earlier movies) but her character just seems smooth-talkin', tough and platic no matter what happens.
The movie is about four very different 16-year old's that are friends, and love to partying hard, and dream about a little place of their own where they can party alone (or something like that...what they really wanted was very unclear). The four teenagers don't just have very different personalities (so different actually that you start to wonder what they have in common) but different problems as well.

Annie (Cherie Currie)is the most troubled of them all. She's the one who looovvveeesss ROCK'N ROLL!!!! and drinks the hardest, take the most drugs and sleeps with every guy (really creepy guys). Her father though, thinks she has a problem and puts her on a mental hospital (good work dad!) and then she escapes (of course) and we are all feeling soooo sorry for Annie when the friends find her drugged (and still in the mood for some more rock'n roll!!!) and then her psycho boyfriends try to get her while Jeanie's friend is doing some really corny stunts on the skateboard. The whole story ends when Annie dies, but not in something drug or alcohol related but in a lame car accident when she was getting a lift from a strange couple. And it all ends like a stupid morality tale with a stone face Foster just is sighing when putting flowers on Annie's grave and saying something like; shit happens.
September 19, 2009
I vaguely remember this movie...That is about the impression it leaves you with"
½ August 27, 2009
Another of JFosters mediocre performances.
June 24, 2009
This movie is also about girls in a competition to lose their viginity and finding the right guy to lose it to. This movie has Tatum O'Neil too but the credits don't show her name along with some other big stars.
March 30, 2009
i remmber seeing this movie wish i could fine it in stores so i could add it to my others i have
January 1, 2009
foster looks amazing as a girl and cherie currie of the runaways was cool.
November 23, 2008
Fun but dated film about four friends finding their own way in the world without much parental guidance.
October 19, 2008
OK, Cherie Currie was one of the Runaways, so I thought this would be better.
October 4, 2008
I love this movie then when it came out and now