Foxes Reviews

• Apr 08, 2020

Foxes isn't just a teen movie. It shows the reality of growing up and it doesn't sugar coat it at all. Jeannie (Jodie Foster) and her group of friends try to cope the best way they can. Jeannie's mom (Sally Kellerman) is a nervous wreck with man trouble and one of her closest friends, Annie (Cherie Currie), is always spaced out on drugs and running from her police man father. This film is a great look (although it's probably a time capsule for most) at growing up and shows that things aren't always so sweet when you're sixteen.

• Feb 29, 2020

these ladies are 'foxes' and they are fiesty fierce women Jodie Foster, Scott Baio, Sally Kellerman, Randy Quaid, and Cherie Currie the story is about 4 girl buddies with a lot of dysfunction in their lives during the 1970s in California drinking, drugs, and sleeping around seems to be the only remedy for them to get away from their abusive, negligent families It's one thing to be a teenager in suburban culture but another to desperately grow up so fast, any of us can still feel, you can still have fun but still be a delinquent, we can't always pick up the pieces of others they have to do it for themselves These ladies do feel like real people going through the motions of their youth; it's fun, it's hard, it's impossible There's a lot of temptations, frustrations, relationships and the rebellion of youth There's gonna be tragedy but also light for potential happyness too Foster and the others act wonderfully here as troubled, sincere adolescents who are screaming to be heard

• Jan 15, 2020

Adrian Lyne's stylish feature film debut presents slices of Southern California teenage life in a mature, serious manner perhaps more successfully than any other movie of its kind. Using his now signature smoke-filled sets, Lyne creates a hazy, dreamlike atmosphere that perfectly suits the perpetual hangovers and altered states in which many of the characters perpetually exist. Heavily used throughout the film, a pared down version of Donna Summer's "On the Radio" provides a melancholy soundtrack to the countless tiny dramas that wash over the audience in shallow waves.

• Dec 22, 2016

This is a little bit grittier version of the kind of teen 1980s movies John Hughes used to make. It's also about Los Angeles and presented from the perspective of girls so their problems with their parents, peers, and boys are presented from the distaff point of view, making 'Foxes' somewhat unique. There's also some great quotes, like this one from a mother addressing her daughter: "Maybe the whole bunch of you is sick. You booze you dope you sleep with whoever. I don't even know who you are. You look like kids but you don't act like em. You're short 40 year olds and you're tough ones." And this one: "Just because they fit you for a diaphragm doesn't make you a woman."

• May 15, 2015

Jodie Foster and Cherie Currie (lead singer of The Runaways) are foxy 1980s teen foxes in this film that plays out like an expose of the secret lives of teenagers ALA "Kids" or "Thirteen," though not quite as shocking. At it's heart, it's a classic juvenile delinquent film formula about unsupervised teenagers but updated for the 80s with a Giorgio Moroder score and stylish direction by Adrian Lyne (in his directorial debut) with Lyne's signature focus on sexuality. Besides Foster and Currie, the film also features Laura Dern in her first credited film appearance, Scott Baio, Robert Romanus (Jennifer Jason Leigh's skeezy boyfriend from "Fast Times at Ridgemount High), Sally Kellerman, Randy Quaid and Lois Smith as Mrs. Axman. It's a rather breezy film that follows the girls over the course of a few days, but the film did make me want to go back and look at director Lyne's filmography and I was quite surprised how short his list of films were. He's made some iconic and quite memorable films, even if most of them were slickly made trash like "Fatal Attraction," "9 1/2 Weeks," "Flashdance," "Indecent Proposal," or "Unfaithful." Although those films are clearly sexploitation for the mainstream, he did infuse them with an intelligence that is absent most films of that ilk, which I do think affords Lyne with credit for being a smart and talented director. I will say that "Jacob's Ladder" did rise above that level of smart trash Lyne mostly made and did qualify as an "art film." I really wish Lyne would put out more work. He's an interesting director for sure. I also have to say I'm quite glad to see that Giorgio Moroder is now working more and putting out new material.

• Apr 10, 2015

Good minor coming of age flick that without warning just ends....I hate when that happens.

• Red L Super Reviewer
    Mar 18, 2014

Interesting movie. For someone who did not grow up with such wild circumstances, It is difficult to imagine. The ending was abrupt and unsatisfactory.

• Jul 28, 2013

great movie of how it was in the 80's

great movie of how it was in the 80's

• Jul 22, 2013

Meh. I surely wouldn't bother to watch it again.

Meh. I surely wouldn't bother to watch it again.

• Mar 31, 2013

I don't care how old it is----it's like modern-day teens, and it's depicting the real-life.