Foxy Brown - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Foxy Brown Reviews

½ August 25, 2013
Pam Grier is great in the title role in this movie. Grier has great charisma and she is a joy to watch here. The plot is nothing spectacular and the script is average but it is a well made revenge movie. If you are a Pam Grier fan then you should definitely check out this movie.
½ July 10, 2013
You can just ignore the critics rating on this one, it's one of the finest Blaxploitation movies I've ever seen. Actually I would say it's my favorite and my personal favorite Jack Hill film. Jack Hill is the man responsible for discovering Pam Grier, and he's also the director responsible for making such films as Coffy, Switchblade Sisters, Swinging Cheerleaders, The Big Doll House, & The Big Bird Cage. Now most fans seem to prefer Coffy to Foxy Brown, I can see why though... Coffy is a litte more violent and you get to see more flesh of Pam Grier. I think Foxy Brown just works better for me, it seems more solid in the acting department. I also like story a little bit more I guess, it's nothing special but it really doesn't need to be.

I will point out one thing, Seth Rogen is apparently a fan of this film because the intro to Foxy Brown and Superbad are so identical. The Foxy Brown intro theme song even utters the words superbad, can't be any more ovious than that, can it? The plot of Foxy Brown is simple, it's your typical revenge movie grindhouse style. Brown is out to avenge her boyfriend's (a narcotics investigator) death that was knocked off by a savage crime ring. Just let it be known don't ever pissed off Pam Grier because if your a man, she will take your manhood, literally. If you've seen True Romance, Pulp Fiction, or Inglourious Basterds, you've noticed gunshots to the balls. Tarantino gets that from Pam Grier and Jack Hill.

Yes, Foxy Brown is ruthless and wild but if you've seen any of Jack Hill's work, you wouldn't expect anything less. And if you're wondering, Foxy Brown the rapper is named after Pam Grier in this film. Grier gave her permission to use the name but there will only be one Foxy Brown to me, Pam Grier can never be duplicated, ever. So if your looking for a real taste of 70's Blaxploitation, make sure get this movie, and don't forget Coffy as well. I highly recommend Foxy Brown for any fan of Grier, Hill, or Blaxploitation, I also think this be great starter for anyone new to the genre. Movies wouldn't be what they are today if it weren't for films like Foxy Brown. The types of movies pushed boundaries and influenced filmmakers and musicians alike.
June 20, 2013
Fab cheesey movie its funkadelia at its best!
½ June 9, 2013
Early 70s Exploitation film that is filled with action, suspense and spawns a new type of hero in a post Civil Rights era. Director Jack Hill was known for a lot of these movies, and this is his crowning achievement. Pam Grier is full of sexiness and attitude as she breathes life into Foxy Brown and helped establish her as the first female African-American hero in film. This film doesn't skip a beat as it is action packed with great fight scenes, clever escapes and sneaky undercover tactics, all with a musical score that rivals 'Shaft.' Look for Captain Spaulding himself, Sid Haig, in a very late scene in the film.
½ April 25, 2013
This is one baadass movie and Pam Grier sure is Foxy!
April 10, 2013
You really only need to make it as far as the dope opening credit sequence, before determining you've made the right choice for your evening movie.
The title character here may be Pam Grier's greatest role. And that's saying something. All the performances in this are tight, though. The casting of Kathryn Loder as "Miss Katherine" is as close to genius as casting gets. And Antonio Fargas, who plays Foxy's brother, Link, is simply one of the realest dudes ever to be in a flick. Hey, Sid Haig even shows up for a brief reunion with Pam!
A memorable soundtrack and score, by Willie Hutch.
And ultimately, Writer/Director Jack Hill shows why he's the genre master. Flawless structuring, dynamite dialogue, smooth cinematography. Even some great intentional humor. (Check the scene where Foxy's man is scolded for trying to get it on with her in the hospital.)
Not sold yet? Let's try this:
There is a sequence in which Foxy fights her way out of a "dyke bar," using barstools and wall art.
April 7, 2013
Great movie and I love Pam Grier! She's awesome and sexy as always. Definitely worth a view. Favorite line in the movie: "Death is too easy for you, bitch. I want you to suffer!"
March 18, 2013
Works even better on the big screen than when I saw it years ago (before I gave it like 2 1/2 out of 4 stars, now it's closer to 3, relative I guess). High art? Fuck that noise, Jack. If Coffy was Crank, this is Crank 2: High Voltage - here, Jack Hill doesn't really pretend to make an actual movie. He's just fucking around, proud of it, and everyone is in on the joke (not that Grier doesn't pull out a few genuinely dramatic scenes, like her speech about justice to the brothers). By the time the airplane chases down a hood, it is completely ridiculous, and the very end of the movie doesn't make much sense logically for what the purpose of Foxy should be after - listen, the woman will still be dealing drugs, what is gonna stop her, a flesh wound on her arm? - but it's still a crazy ride through sex, violence and mayhem as only AIP could have done way back when. See it with an audience if you can, it's much more enjoyable, especially with a scratchy print.
February 11, 2013
A Blaxploitation classic. Pam Grier is amazing.
January 20, 2013
A classic Blaxploitation film. It's dated and goofy, but it's still fun. Pam Grier had already proven herself in Coffy, but this really boosted her career.
January 6, 2013
I'd say I'm a fan of blaxploitation flicks, but I really didn't like Foxy Brown at all. Bad dialogue, bad direction and kinda bad everything. Now I understand is supposed to be bad, but my five year old cousin could do better than this. There are a few funny/cool moments but they are quickly forgettable. You have the bad B movies that you just love then you have the really God awful ones.... this is one of those.
½ December 10, 2012
Pam Grier..very sexy, very dangerous in this old school action flick
December 7, 2012
ID WATCH THIS! SEXY BROWN!
November 23, 2012
One of the seminal Blaxploitation films of the seventies, and one of the highest rated, Foxy Brown is still fresh, interesting, and historically stimulating. This, the second collaboration between director and writer Jack Hill and actress Pam Grier since Coffy, this send up to the first film holds much more acclaim for its racy outfits, sexual innuendo, and constant gritty appeal. Starring Pam Grier in the femme role of Foxy Brown, a woman without any training or position of power, who goes after a large drug and prostitution organization for the murder of her boyfriend, who died at their hands. Usually Blaxploitation paints these criminals as the protagonists, running from the crooked police forces, trying to make themselves a living in the despondent ghettos. Here the cartels are all white men and women, sadistic and cruel, so evil that they intentionally corrupt the black community with racial slurs and punishments befitting the very fabric of our nightmares. Foxy herself goes undercover in the organization that her brother snitches on her to, so she can find the big boss, ruin his business, and kill every jive turkey she can get her flamethrower on. Posing as a prostitute and infiltrating the den of the head Madame, Foxy saves another black woman from the exploitative service, and then goes through her own battles with the drug syndicate, sex slavery ring, and other insidious peoples. It's a very straightforward and lewd film, which includes arson, rape, castration, and a number of human indignities you can only imagine. These acts aren't quite as vivid and in your face as in some of today's films, and are all veiled in Motown songs blaring in the background and dissolves to the next scene before any seedy business can be unearthed. Pam Grier is stealthy, while being sexy, straddling the line between laughably lame with her clumsy king fu moves and succubus level seduction. Even today it's a simple story of revenge and reconciliation, and I highly recommend seeing this for the pleasure of it, as well as becoming acquainted with the genre.
November 14, 2012
This is a classic, so you got to love it
November 3, 2012
Pam Grier is wonderful just watching her. The film has some pretty nice scenes but it could be better.
½ October 27, 2012
Not hard to see why Kareem Abdul Jabbar dated Pam Grier back in the 70's. She has a presence in this blaxploitation film.
October 3, 2012
"Foxy Brown" has all the characteristics of a classic cult flick, such as subpar acting, poor technical quality, bad one-liners and loads of nudity and violence, but it doesn't have the same charm that most other B movies have. It's competently made, but sleazy, forgettable and just plain boring. Nothing about it is even worth being mentioned.
August 24, 2012
now pam grier mo than a woman got just about every dam thang she starred in she open the doors for a lot of these corny azz black bitches that call themselves acttrcesses as of now pay homage to the queen you lopsided weave wearing hoes ha ha ha ha ha ha unbeweavable
August 10, 2012
Death is too easy for you, bitch!