Fragments - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fragments Reviews

½ August 14, 2016
Good, well-acted film with a great cast, but somehow I doubt that all the people who witnessed such an event would have such extreme reactions
½ August 8, 2015
150808: Tough film to watch at times. Impactful yet weak components if placed under scrutiny. Gave me a lot to think about in some ways and annoyed me in others. I guess that is what it was meant to do.
Robbanflix
January 1, 2015
This drama has two of my favorite actors in the cast ,, Forest Whitalker and the stunning Kate Beckinsale. I actually saw this movie mainly because of her and i like all her movies plus its a feast for the eye just to look at Kate. The story was decent and simple but not so powerful for being a movie in this category. The young girl "Dakota Fanning" which have a major role did a nice performance tho and i think she will be a great popular actress in the future. Anyway its an average movie all in all but not as good as dramas can be.
½ June 9, 2014
Interesting movie...definitely not a "feel good" film. It's not awful, but it's not super good either. It shows several traumatized characters and their life's after witnessing a shooting and as far as demonstrating their grieving process, it's good. As far as all the other film aspects, it's give or take.
½ January 17, 2014
Moral of story: don't hold back your anger and stress.
January 16, 2014
I watched this once, but I can't remember a thing to recommend it.
December 26, 2013
Winged creatures
Tan sólo un instante
½ October 21, 2013
It has a great cast and a couple powerful moments but its also a bit all over the map, ultimately feeling too manufactured.
½ September 29, 2013
Most films that are split into separate parts and tell a story in pieces, come together at the end. All the characters converge, culminating in a terrific ending, but Fragments was different, in that all the characters were together in the opening sequence, and then the film splits into individual stories. The story is centered around a group of people in a diner, when a shooter comes in an opens fire. Following the shooting, we see how each person reacts and how their lives are changed by what happened. It sounds like a very good story and that's exactly why I rented it, however the reverse order of the film makes it somewhat anti-climatic. All the interesting stuff happens in the beginning of the film and what follows, just gets slower, stranger, and somewhat less interesting. The film really doesn't have a single person that you can put the label of star on, but as far as performances go, Forrest Whitaker easily gives the strongest one. Whitaker does almost exclusively independent films and is always overlooked because of it, but this man can honestly play any role and in my eyes is among the elite in Hollywood. On the reverse side, Dakota Fanning's character almost completely destroys this film. After what happened, this little girl finds God and starts preaching to the masses. I'm all for anything that gives people hope and makes their lives better, but when anyone, even a character in a movie, starts preaching to anyone who will listen, it gets very old, very quickly. Fragments is not a bad film, just an unusual one. With the story they had, following the traditional format would have been impossible, but that doesn't mean that this was the way to go. What started out as a terrific film, quickly turned into something that was nearly unwatchable.
September 15, 2013
A bunch of characters in a diner when a killer walks in a murders a lot of people. What follows is how they manage to deal with the tragedy by basically doing nothing. Tries to think it is some pretentious look at the human psyche when it is not. A waste of a great cast.
½ August 2, 2013
In Australia this one is known as Winged Creatures
½ May 13, 2013
The audience is made a character and a witness. We are brought along the path of destruction and the weak attempts at coping. We are only a piece of the puzzle- not the whole. We only see a piece.
May 12, 2013
I had higher hopes for this one. It didn't grab me like I thought it would.
April 24, 2013
strange movie, in its own weird way its interesting
½ April 11, 2013
great cast and premise but just didn't really go anywhere
February 11, 2013
A group effected by the events of a terrible tragedy become connected in good and bad ways.
January 26, 2013
its ok I just don't remember so much of it
January 7, 2013
Slow, overly artistic & unengaging. Dakota Fanning puts up an awesome role though.
December 31, 2012
This is a difficult movie to review. On one hand, I didn't lose interest throughout the movie - however it may have been the rather ordinary performances from Forest Whitaker and Dakota Fanning that kept me interested (yes, strange I know).

For Whitaker, it is the latest in a line of movies that have disappointed me. He just can't seem to get a serious role and almost every role he is in, is a gimmicky performance. Has he done anything of worth since 'The Last King of Scotland'? I think his acting career has jumped the shark, so they say.

As for Dakota - I didn't like her one bit in 'Push' and my feelings towards her haven't changed after this effort. She has some talent, I don't doubt that, but perhaps like Whitaker - can't she just be a normal character for once? What she did here in Winged Creatures didn't work for me. I would have preferred she show emotion the whole way through.

I had no real problems with the rest of the cast, even if the Guy Pearce storyline was a bit complicated with all the medicine he was mixing into the food. Wasn't really explained well enough I didn't think.

One of our favourites, Kate Beckinsale, was very good but perhaps slightly under-used in her role and I would have liked a little more character development there.

Not much else to add. I wouldn't recommend this one, but it wasn't the worst thing I've seen lately either. Very middle of the road, if not just a touch below average.
November 1, 2012
A gloomy mess that leaves its talented actors trying to pick up the fragments of the film, which by weak character exposition and a vague story have scattered to the wind.