Frances Ha - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frances Ha Reviews

April 19, 2017
Peppy, hilarious, breezy, and endlessly charming. Noah Baumbach is an artist that, to me, seems to deeply value having empathy for the characters on screen. It's clear that, for the bulk of the film, Frances is desperately out of sync, and horribly confused. However, we also see her being kind, funny, caring, and a woman who truly wants to be better.
January 14, 2017
Subtly hilarious, bitingly real, and monumentally unique, "Frances Ha" is not only a great movie, but a game-changing one. It also happens to feature the most effervescent performance of 2013 from Greta Gerwig.
Bradley T. Johnson
January 14, 2017
Greta Gerwig is so immensely likable. Her performance is so uninhibited and she performs as if there isn't anyone to impress. It is a starmaking performance in a rather funny and warm little lark of a film. Frances Ha utilizes lovely black and white visuals to portray a struggling 27 year old dancer in a city where dreaming is easy but achieving dreams is harder. The dialogue spikes with insight and comedic mini moments and if it occasionally is just too self-knowing and quirky, there is another gem of a moment around the corner. It is an endearingly small and truthful film. One that feels homemade its lack of a true plot makes it a laidback and enjoyable experience. Rating: 83
½ December 25, 2016
Over-hyped self absorbed drivel :-)
December 1, 2016
Loved every minute of this movie!
November 30, 2016
An example of a promising Woody Allen-esque story that has as its main character a woman so absolutely infantile that it becomes very difficult not to find her irritating (even if Greta Gerwig is definitely adorable). Besides, the film is not half as funny as it believes to be.
½ November 22, 2016
Quintessential mumblecore film
November 22, 2016
One scene of her play fighting with a freaked out friend is enough to destroy the movie.
October 30, 2016
Just nothing really going on . Not enough for me
½ October 21, 2016
This was hipster self-indulgent cliche at its worst. Black and white, bleak crummy Brooklyn apartments, no plot, obnoxious glasses, mediocre contemporary dancing. And worse...it was boring.
October 17, 2016
Very woody allen-independent filmish about a young woman in NY. The story is a kind of a love story about her and her best friend. She is trying to find her way as a dancer, an adult, and with independence from her best friend. In the end, she doesnt figure it all out, but shes on her way. I really did like the main characters quirkiness and her fun, free spirit. Brought me back to my college bf days, eventually tho we all grow up and away. A bit overrated, but def an enjoyable film.
½ October 14, 2016
Greta is a dynamic lead and Noah Baumbach captures New York beautifully.
September 2, 2016
The storyline may seem to unfocused for some, but tender direction from Noah Baumbach and a lovely performance from Greta Gerwig on the title role makes up for its flaws.
½ August 31, 2016
I have to make an effort to put a 2.5 better than 2. You can see it, but it seems meaningless, going to nowhere. One of these movies you see 10 minutes and you find it interesting, you see 30 and it looks boring. Movies are made of stories, not just atmosphere or characters.
½ August 16, 2016
I think I've lived in Hong Kong too long. When I first heard of the film, FRANCES HA, I thought it was a story about a local woman. After all, I know a Connie Ha and a Shirley Ha so why not a film about a Frances Ha? But Ha is not Frances' surname, as we discover in the final scene of this very interesting indie film by Noah Baumbach and the film's star, Greta Gerwig.

Frances is a 20-something California girl (from Sacramento, to be precise). A Vassar graduate, she moved to New York a few years earlier with dreams of making it big as a dancer. She shares an apartment with her BFF from school, Sophie, who herself is busy breaking into the publishing world. Frances apprentices at a modern dance company though she's really not very good. She breaks up with her boyfriend not because he wanted her to move in with him but because it would mean moving away from Sophie, and that's not what they had planned for themselves. She lives a carefree, bohemian life on credit card debt, sure that one day she'll be "a real person", as she says it.

But while Frances may be stuck in a reality rut, drifting aimlessly from paycheque to paycheque, Sophie and her other wannabe artist friends are growing up. One by one, they leave Frances behind, leaving her to assess her own life just as it is falling apart.

Frances may be a bit of a klutz - both physically and socially - but she's a loveable (but "undateable") klutz. When she turns down a job offer that doesn't quite fit into her vision of the future, we feel sorry for her because we've all made dumb decisions when we were young and naive. The same can be said when she flies off to Paris for the weekend. She can't afford it but she goes there anyway simply because she can. And even though she has a lousy, lonely time there, her optimism is resolute. Frances is so full of life that we can't help but cheer for her even as she falls on her face over and over again.

Much criticism has been leveled that the film rips off Lena Dunham's HBO series, GIRLS, and Woody Allen's MANHATTAN. I have never seen GIRLS so I can't comment on that one. For the MANHATTAN connection, I would say that FRANCES HA isn't a rip off as much as it pays homage to both Allen and to the city. Like MANHATTAN, FRANCES HA is filmed in black and white. And Frances is similar to Allen's other New York icon, Annie Hall. They're both flaky and clumsy yet endearing at the same time.

The film also stars Mickey Sumner (Sting's daughter), Grace Gummer (Meryl Streep's daughter), and Adam Driver (who sang along with Justin Timberlake and Oscar Isaac in INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS and who also stars in GIRLS). With FRANCES HA, we are watching the next generation of New York's - and Hollywood's - shining stars.

The film has had limited engagements in all the major cities one would expect, as well as in a host of international film festivals. If you can find it where you live, I encourage you to see it.
½ July 8, 2016
'It's after three. I can drink.'
½ June 11, 2016
I thought I'd hate it. I finally watched it, and it exceeded all expectation. It was the most unbearable movie I had ever seen. Will only appeal to under 25s whose middle class (+) parents underwrite their lifestyle, and who at some point have read either a) James Joyce, b) David Foster Wallace or c) both (ike!) to position themselves as part of the greater cultural dialogue of our civil society. It hurt me. Adam Driver is good at always playing the same dude.
June 1, 2016
5 stars**greta gerwig gives a performance of a lifetime. Dreamy, starry eyed and naive , love her every moment of her "magic" as she pirouette's perfectly thru streets of New York. Greta is a star of understated genius. Goddess!
May 21, 2016
So full of life, so full of hope, in a world we all want to be in!
½ May 18, 2016
Noah Baumbach directs and co-writes this film with his lead actress Greta Gerwig, who portrays a woman who is nearly 30 but has yet to make any real progress in her life. She has a best friend who moves out, and she drifts from place to place hopelessly hoping that her friend will come back. It is better than it sounds. I love a good black and white film, and this entire movie is really propelled by the lead performance of Gerwig, who carries the whole thing and makes it charming.