Frances Ha - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frances Ha Reviews

½ December 10, 2017
There's a lot of public buzz about the release of Greta Gerwig's LADY BIRD film. My local movie theater is, unfortunately, small and doesn't show limited release films, which leaves me watching this film, but that's alright.

This B&W is an appropriately paced ride through the life of a New York post-grad trying to make something of her education. Just when the situation is at its worst and is falling apart, this film turns on us and makes us laugh. NY residents may get more out of this film. The film uses address placards to show where Frances is living at any given moment. As a non-New Yorker I really have no idea of any implications, whether cultural or economic, of the significance of these areas.
Frances herself comes off as ephemeral, and as much as she loves dance, she lacks the grace of her contemporaries. It's not a total loss for her, as she's a trained choreographer who, for a reason we never learn, has taken a break from creating routines. She has charm, but her total immaturity makes most of her conversations come off as embarrassing, unsuitably youthful, and inappropriately dissociative. I suppose that qualifies her as a Creative. Her immaturity, however, seems to be due to her ephemeral place in the world, and she does eventually mature after taking on more immersive responsibility. The title character is such a central focus, the rest of the film seems to go on as normal life is supposed to, with the rest of the characters functioning as a developmental juxtaposition to Frances, rather than fully formed characters of their own.

I don't usually watch films like this, so I can't really compare it to anything similar.
As itself, though, it has its moments, and during her social stumbles and decision-making falls, I hoped she was learning from her mistakes to better ease herself into adulthood. That was enough to leave me with a positive impression.
November 25, 2017
Sure, it's cute...but while watching I kept wondering when the story would start. Hint: it doesn't.
½ October 22, 2017
Frances Ha is directed and co-written by Noah Baumbach, and it stars Greta Gerwig and Mickey Summer in a dramedy about an immature dancer who lives with her best friend, but then her best friend moves to a place with another person, and Frances (Greta Gerwig) is trying to find another place to live with, while trying to find a way to get a lot of money in her job. With Mistress America and Noah Baumbach?s new film The Meyerowitz Stories being out. I figure I should rewatch this to see how it holds up, and it?s the first collaboration between Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig as writers for the film, and so I end up really enjoying it. Greta Gerwig is great in this that gives off the ?I don?t have no shame? kind of attitude very well. It does look the style of an old Woody Allen movie, but it never felt too similar as the humor is more calming, and very subtle too, which gives off some laughs. The characters are likable, and the writing by Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig seem genuine that made me interested in the film even if there was no comedy in there. The only issue I have with this is that the pacing can be very slow at times, but I never was bored in any scene. Frances Ha is a really great film that I?m glad it made a career out of Greta Gerwig, especially with her sole directorial debut coming in theaters pretty soon.
October 19, 2017
A beautiful character study about a woman in her late 20's who can't quite get into the stride of adult life. Greta Gerwig stars in and co-wrote this portrait of Frances, who has a gig as an apprentice in a small dance troupe in New York. She is extremely devoted to her college friend Sophie (played by Mickey Sumner, Sting's daughter), and when she moves out of their apartment and starts a serious relationship with a man, Frances is thrown for a loop. There's more plot, but the plot isn't exactly the point of the film. It's mostly about Frances stumbles into a small improvement in her station after many setbacks and sets a path for herself on her own terms.
October 5, 2017
Growing up is hard, and doing so in a ruthless society is especially difficult for Gerwig's character - Frances. You're awed by her optimism and happy-go-lucky love for life, but you also fear that she's living in a complacent state of youth with no direction. But, that's what's great about "Frances Ha". Not only is it a quintessential NYC film, but it also succeeds by making a statement. Screw society and dance like there's no tomorrow.
October 3, 2017
An emotional journey worth taking characters that burst with personality.
September 7, 2017
Such a beautiful movie!
½ August 20, 2017
Frances Ha is a well-made and well-acted film, although the meandering plot will frustrate less patient viewers.
August 16, 2017
All those millennial feels man.
½ August 15, 2017
A hilarious movie about hopes and dreams that is both beautiful and hilarious.
August 8, 2017
A brilliant bildungsroman film about a young woman in her 20s getting her life together and finding her place in the world. This is the coming-of-age story we need in the 21st century.
½ July 27, 2017
The format is like packaged with short multi-parted films of the same characters in one girl's story of reaching to her dream and success in a similar flowing fashion of a coming-of-age story, which makes the film narratively decent with good performances and connective writing. (B)

(Full review TBD)
July 23, 2017
A lovely and charming bit of Woody Allen inspired storytelling about finding your way.
June 8, 2017
Despite a charismatic performance by the lead, and featuring spot on slice-o-life New York overview, the work follows a character going nowhere and invites us along for the ride. Which is to say the thing goes slowly, so slowly.
January 14, 2017
Subtly hilarious, bitingly real, and monumentally unique, "Frances Ha" is not only a great movie, but a game-changing one. It also happens to feature the most effervescent performance of 2013 from Greta Gerwig.
Bradley T. Johnson
January 14, 2017
Greta Gerwig is so immensely likable. Her performance is so uninhibited and she performs as if there isn't anyone to impress. It is a starmaking performance in a rather funny and warm little lark of a film. Frances Ha utilizes lovely black and white visuals to portray a struggling 27 year old dancer in a city where dreaming is easy but achieving dreams is harder. The dialogue spikes with insight and comedic mini moments and if it occasionally is just too self-knowing and quirky, there is another gem of a moment around the corner. It is an endearingly small and truthful film. One that feels homemade its lack of a true plot makes it a laidback and enjoyable experience. Rating: 83
½ December 25, 2016
Over-hyped self absorbed drivel :-)
December 1, 2016
Loved every minute of this movie!
November 30, 2016
An example of a promising Woody Allen-esque story that has as its main character a woman so absolutely infantile that it becomes very difficult not to find her irritating (even if Greta Gerwig is definitely adorable). Besides, the film is not half as funny as it believes to be.
½ November 22, 2016