Frances Ha - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frances Ha Reviews

March 11, 2018
Great fantastic phenomenal movie starring Greta gerwig. Greta great gerwig is a great actress and director and the only reason I'm watching this movie is because lady bird was amazing and I was interested in what Greta gerwig did before lady bird. I can't wait to watch this movie again.
½ March 9, 2018
Greta Gerwig's equivalent version of "1978 Girlfriends" except that in this movie her character plays a struggling dancer as opposed to a struggling photographer. Gerwig who was also credited as co-writer along with Noah Baumbach second of three movies stars as Frances, once her best friend, Sophie (Mickey Sumner) and long time live-in roommate decides to move out of their apartment with her new boyfriend, Frances begins to struggle to find another place.
½ February 26, 2018
this is so good, it's tender and sweet about growing up. And combining Noah Baumbach's expert direction and deft for the ebb and flow (or lack thereof) of real conversation and Greta Gerwigs (?) break out performance, this is really something cool.
½ February 7, 2018
Puntaje Original: 7.0

Con una encantadora Greta Gerwig y un genial reparto, Frances Ha es un gran exponente del cine juvenil, logrado gracias a una refinada dirección de Noah Baumbach.
½ January 31, 2018
This movie only got a rating because the picture quality, and acting was pretty good.
Aside from that I couldn't follow the story line because it was all over the place. It was honestly one of the stupidest movies I have ever watched.
I hope they have a better time next time around. It did have pretty good potential!
January 13, 2018
i'm having trouble getting it off..

Frances Ha

A journey of a 27 year old girl in her social and professional life resembles too much with practicality that you cringe yourself in the seat as she goes through each and every ups and downs which just represents how amazing of work has Noah did on paper and on screen.
January 1, 2018
Adorable, relatable and lovingly written
½ December 31, 2017
Frances Ha captures perfectly the overwhelming sensation of deflation when you're in your late twenties and you come to realize that you can't earn enough to pay the bills doing what you love.

Brimming with witty banter and artful B&W cinematography. A Hipster roller coaster ride filled with tender heartbreaks, bitter sweet self-indulgence, and a modicum of redemption. Best appreciated in a double bill preceding Mistress America.
December 30, 2017
Incredibly accurate and endearing story about late 20-something friendship and direction.
December 25, 2017

[Noah Baumbach]
½ December 10, 2017
There's a lot of public buzz about the release of Greta Gerwig's LADY BIRD film. My local movie theater is, unfortunately, small and doesn't show limited release films, which leaves me watching this film, but that's alright.

This B&W is an appropriately paced ride through the life of a New York post-grad trying to make something of her education. Just when the situation is at its worst and is falling apart, this film turns on us and makes us laugh. NY residents may get more out of this film. The film uses address placards to show where Frances is living at any given moment. As a non-New Yorker I really have no idea of any implications, whether cultural or economic, of the significance of these areas.
Frances herself comes off as ephemeral, and as much as she loves dance, she lacks the grace of her contemporaries. It's not a total loss for her, as she's a trained choreographer who, for a reason we never learn, has taken a break from creating routines. She has charm, but her total immaturity makes most of her conversations come off as embarrassing, unsuitably youthful, and inappropriately dissociative. I suppose that qualifies her as a Creative. Her immaturity, however, seems to be due to her ephemeral place in the world, and she does eventually mature after taking on more immersive responsibility. The title character is such a central focus, the rest of the film seems to go on as normal life is supposed to, with the rest of the characters functioning as a developmental juxtaposition to Frances, rather than fully formed characters of their own.

I don't usually watch films like this, so I can't really compare it to anything similar.
As itself, though, it has its moments, and during her social stumbles and decision-making falls, I hoped she was learning from her mistakes to better ease herself into adulthood. That was enough to leave me with a positive impression.
November 25, 2017
Sure, it's cute...but while watching I kept wondering when the story would start. Hint: it doesn't.
½ October 22, 2017
Frances Ha is directed and co-written by Noah Baumbach, and it stars Greta Gerwig and Mickey Summer in a dramedy about an immature dancer who lives with her best friend, but then her best friend moves to a place with another person, and Frances (Greta Gerwig) is trying to find another place to live with, while trying to find a way to get a lot of money in her job. With Mistress America and Noah Baumbach?s new film The Meyerowitz Stories being out. I figure I should rewatch this to see how it holds up, and it?s the first collaboration between Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig as writers for the film, and so I end up really enjoying it. Greta Gerwig is great in this that gives off the ?I don?t have no shame? kind of attitude very well. It does look the style of an old Woody Allen movie, but it never felt too similar as the humor is more calming, and very subtle too, which gives off some laughs. The characters are likable, and the writing by Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig seem genuine that made me interested in the film even if there was no comedy in there. The only issue I have with this is that the pacing can be very slow at times, but I never was bored in any scene. Frances Ha is a really great film that I?m glad it made a career out of Greta Gerwig, especially with her sole directorial debut coming in theaters pretty soon.
October 19, 2017
A beautiful character study about a woman in her late 20's who can't quite get into the stride of adult life. Greta Gerwig stars in and co-wrote this portrait of Frances, who has a gig as an apprentice in a small dance troupe in New York. She is extremely devoted to her college friend Sophie (played by Mickey Sumner, Sting's daughter), and when she moves out of their apartment and starts a serious relationship with a man, Frances is thrown for a loop. There's more plot, but the plot isn't exactly the point of the film. It's mostly about Frances stumbles into a small improvement in her station after many setbacks and sets a path for herself on her own terms.
October 5, 2017
Growing up is hard, and doing so in a ruthless society is especially difficult for Gerwig's character - Frances. You're awed by her optimism and happy-go-lucky love for life, but you also fear that she's living in a complacent state of youth with no direction. But, that's what's great about "Frances Ha". Not only is it a quintessential NYC film, but it also succeeds by making a statement. Screw society and dance like there's no tomorrow.
October 3, 2017
An emotional journey worth taking characters that burst with personality.
September 7, 2017
Such a beautiful movie!
½ August 20, 2017
Frances Ha is a well-made and well-acted film, although the meandering plot will frustrate less patient viewers.
August 16, 2017
All those millennial feels man.
½ August 15, 2017
A hilarious movie about hopes and dreams that is both beautiful and hilarious.