Frances Ha - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frances Ha Reviews

½ July 8, 2016
'It's after three. I can drink.'
½ June 11, 2016
I thought I'd hate it. I finally watched it, and it exceeded all expectation. It was the most unbearable movie I had ever seen. Will only appeal to under 25s whose middle class (+) parents underwrite their lifestyle, and who at some point have read either a) James Joyce, b) David Foster Wallace or c) both (ike!) to position themselves as part of the greater cultural dialogue of our civil society. It hurt me. Adam Driver is good at always playing the same dude.
June 1, 2016
5 stars**greta gerwig gives a performance of a lifetime. Dreamy, starry eyed and naive , love her every moment of her "magic" as she pirouette's perfectly thru streets of New York. Greta is a star of understated genius. Goddess!
May 21, 2016
So full of life, so full of hope, in a world we all want to be in!
½ May 18, 2016
Noah Baumbach directs and co-writes this film with his lead actress Greta Gerwig, who portrays a woman who is nearly 30 but has yet to make any real progress in her life. She has a best friend who moves out, and she drifts from place to place hopelessly hoping that her friend will come back. It is better than it sounds. I love a good black and white film, and this entire movie is really propelled by the lead performance of Gerwig, who carries the whole thing and makes it charming.
½ May 13, 2016
Sweeter, lighter version of Inside Llewyn Davis.
May 6, 2016
Although it's not as funny as I think Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig thought it would initially be, Frances Ha still boasts a delightful performance from Gerwig, and a well-rounded turn of realism in Baumbach's filmography.
½ April 28, 2016
What a precious gem this movie is. Greta Gerwing brings to life this truly memorable character (irritating and lovable) that most people who have never completely fit in anywhere can completely relate to. She looks a bit like Alicia Silverstone (who I believe is such a bad actress), but Greta is such a naturally emphatic actress that eventually the resembles fades away. The movie is a bittersweet late coming of age movie. Completely worth the watch - usually mumblecore movies tend to veer towards the boring - not this one.
½ April 21, 2016
Charming, and irritating, but mostly charming. Reminded me a little in tone of 'Girls'. Certainly very original and I really did care what happened to Frances, probably because I know one of two Frances's. A must see for those looking for direction.
½ April 10, 2016
Took everything I love about mumble-core and scripted it and made it shallow. I'm tired of women's stories that don't include any mention of their professional or creative lives. Frances loves to dance and can choreograph and must put a lot of time and energy into that but we never see it, we only see her relationship failures as if that's the key to her life. Men can't make art.
March 23, 2016
Greta plays a charismatic character you can't help but want to be associated with her. Here journey really resonates with the tradition from young adulthood to actually establishing yourself. Her positive mindset is something to appreciate and take note
½ March 17, 2016
It should be a felony to make a movie in black and white. There is an awful scene where she tries to play fight with a friend who makes it clear several times that she is horrified by the idea and keeps telling her to stop. That scene was enough to make me dislike the movie the 1st time. She has charm and vibrance.
March 8, 2016
Growing up in your late 20s is hard. Growing up in your late 20s in NYC is very hard. Keeping a positive outlook while broke in NYC in your 20s, makes this a unique perspective work of art from Co-Writer/Director Noah Baumbach.

Co-Writer and star Greta Gerwig (Frances), gives a brilliant heartfelt performance and carries this film into the crevices of your mind where it will sit with you.

Frances consistently gets kicked in the teeth and comes out smiling. Shot in Black and white for the right reason, "Frances Ha" is a simple movie about life in your late 20s and the obstacles thrown at you from so many directions.
January 31, 2016
Movie can be a little boring at times. But Greta Gerwig's performance makes it worth a watch.
½ January 22, 2016
great directing and acting all around
½ January 16, 2016
I don't know what it is but there is something unbearably white about Noah Baumbach's films. FRANCES HA is the perfect film for people who think Woody Allen films are becoming too diverse. I don't have any issues with an all-white cast - Whit Stillman's films for instance - but there's such a lack of self-awareness in this film that it gets really teeth-grinding. Mumble-core east.
½ January 4, 2016
Very good movie. Great writing, great acting, great story, really liked the lead. But, it was a bit unfocused and towards the end, it was a bit repetitive and the story didn't lead on.
December 21, 2015
The story definitely meanders but it feels like that is the point. This is the life of an artist struggling to survive in New York City. The black and white film stock gives it a timeless feel.