Frances Ha - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frances Ha Reviews

½ April 10, 2016
Took everything I love about mumble-core and scripted it and made it shallow. I'm tired of women's stories that don't include any mention of their professional or creative lives. Frances loves to dance and can choreograph and must put a lot of time and energy into that but we never see it, we only see her relationship failures as if that's the key to her life. Men can't make art.
March 23, 2016
Greta plays a charismatic character you can't help but want to be associated with her. Here journey really resonates with the tradition from young adulthood to actually establishing yourself. Her positive mindset is something to appreciate and take note
½ March 17, 2016
It should be a felony to make a movie in black and white. There is an awful scene where she tries to play fight with a friend who makes it clear several times that she is horrified by the idea and keeps telling her to stop. That scene was enough to make me dislike the movie the 1st time. She has charm and vibrance.
March 8, 2016
Growing up in your late 20s is hard. Growing up in your late 20s in NYC is very hard. Keeping a positive outlook while broke in NYC in your 20s, makes this a unique perspective work of art from Co-Writer/Director Noah Baumbach.

Co-Writer and star Greta Gerwig (Frances), gives a brilliant heartfelt performance and carries this film into the crevices of your mind where it will sit with you.

Frances consistently gets kicked in the teeth and comes out smiling. Shot in Black and white for the right reason, "Frances Ha" is a simple movie about life in your late 20s and the obstacles thrown at you from so many directions.
January 31, 2016
Movie can be a little boring at times. But Greta Gerwig's performance makes it worth a watch.
½ January 22, 2016
great directing and acting all around
½ January 16, 2016
I don't know what it is but there is something unbearably white about Noah Baumbach's films. FRANCES HA is the perfect film for people who think Woody Allen films are becoming too diverse. I don't have any issues with an all-white cast - Whit Stillman's films for instance - but there's such a lack of self-awareness in this film that it gets really teeth-grinding. Mumble-core east.
½ January 4, 2016
Very good movie. Great writing, great acting, great story, really liked the lead. But, it was a bit unfocused and towards the end, it was a bit repetitive and the story didn't lead on.
December 21, 2015
The story definitely meanders but it feels like that is the point. This is the life of an artist struggling to survive in New York City. The black and white film stock gives it a timeless feel.
December 20, 2015
Frances is Happy,Frances is Happy.
November 2, 2015
Baumbach and Gerwig's dive into late twenties melancholy will probably put a smile on your face at some point. Thankful (and surprised) Brazil's RT Features was compelled to fund it. Its ROI is guaranteed.
½ October 30, 2015
Self indulgent hipster nonsense. Don't bother.
October 29, 2015
Frances Ha she is really awkward because she is exactly herself (ALL THE TIME). So its that slow awkwardness of her own self being.
½ October 26, 2015
Review In A Nutshell:

Themes of independence, passion, pride, and lack of direction are bread and butter of independent contemporary cinema, but so far none has executed it with such style and grace as Frances Ha.

This was a film that I was looking forward to seeing for such a long time, as at the time of release and during award season, this film was gaining such high regards to both critics and the general public; praising Greta Gerwig's performances as the titular character and Noah Baumbach's inspired direction. Now that I have seen it, the film certainly did not meet the super high expectations that I had towards the film, but it did deliver enough for me to actually like it.

As I have stated, this is a film about independence and passion; it follows a protagonist who begins living independently with her best friend, Sophie, hoping that their lives would lead to artistic success and financially maintaining themselves through their passionate ambitions. It is certainly dream that many share, I too at one point wished that I could manage a band or act as cinematographer for a film, but life does not work that way. In reality, people who aim towards passion over money are living difficult and opportunistic lives. Frances Ha certainly carries this pessimistic view on independent modern day living, and giving it an awkward comedic push to reflect accurately the facade that Frances is putting up towards the people around her, as she does not want her problems to be directly dumped on others; she certainly is a burden to the people around her, but at least she is aware of it. Many might disagree with the conclusion of the film, as some might see it as her selling out, but I see it as a person who has achieved a sense of balance in her life; pushing her pride aside and understanding the responsibilities that she has to maintain. Though this was kind of obvious, but it certainly resonated with me, as I am also a stubborn individual and only wanting do what I want to do, even if it means not having a home.

Noah Baumbach, in creating and shaping Frances Ha, has taken elements from his filmmaking influences and blending them to create something original. The film acts as part French New Wave and part Woody Allen, which honestly is not really that far from each other. It was so wonderful that Baumbach has given as a look of New York that we rarely see in cinema, as the city truly looks awful at times and the film captures it perfectly through the use of black and white imagery; allowing the titular character to come off as a shining figure "gracefully" cruising through the city. It was also lovely to hear musical scores sourced from the very best of French New Wave cinema and placing them in sequences that are different from the original, not only enhancing the scene but also gaining a new perspective on the music itself.

The core reason that I could not give this film any higher praise is due to the film's some moments lacking the emotional impact needed to make its themes resonate. Sure, I had an entertaining time watching Frances do quirky and bubbly things, but if they are emotionally hollow, then the film becomes much more difficult to watch, especially during subsequent viewings.

If there is one thing everyone should be able to agree on is the performance that Greta Gerwig has given for Frances. She plays the role so well, allowing the audience to admire her while also feel sympathetic towards her situation. Gerwig was able to bring laughs to the character through her ability to create awkward and hesitant responses and impulsive ideas that would seem hilarious when viewed from a distance, but when actually involved in it, it causes a feeling of annoyance.

Frances Ha may not have gracefully swept me off my feet, but through its energetic performance from Gerwig and Baumbach's influenced direction, made up for the film's shortcomings.
October 14, 2015
Frances is one of the most likeable characters I've come across in a while. She is chaotic and sometimes makes terrible decisions but she is so fun and genuine: it was Gerwig's presentation of her that made this such a total joy to watch. It was such a funny, lovely and honest film and a beautiful celebration of female friendship, even in its sad imperfections.
October 14, 2015
Turn your dial up to "manic pixie dream girl" and see if you can appreciate what is supposed to be a comedy but didn't actually make me laugh all that much. The core conceit is so tired at this stage I'm genuinely trying to figure out how it's done so well critically.

Is it that it plays so much on a benign sense of nostalgia or because it's in black and white so it's art house, right?
October 5, 2015
The hipster's take on Woody Allen's Manhattan, a tale of of what it's like being a tall awkward child trying to make it in New York
½ September 24, 2015
At times too self indulgent for its own good, but Greta Gerwig is outstanding and cinematography exquisite (in black and white splendor) in this deceptively simple story of a young woman drifting in life.