Frances Ha - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frances Ha Reviews

½ October 21, 2016
This was hipster self-indulgent cliche at its worst. Black and white, bleak crummy Brooklyn apartments, no plot, obnoxious glasses, mediocre contemporary dancing. And worse...it was boring.
October 17, 2016
Very woody allen-independent filmish about a young woman in NY. The story is a kind of a love story about her and her best friend. She is trying to find her way as a dancer, an adult, and with independence from her best friend. In the end, she doesnt figure it all out, but shes on her way. I really did like the main characters quirkiness and her fun, free spirit. Brought me back to my college bf days, eventually tho we all grow up and away. A bit overrated, but def an enjoyable film.
½ October 14, 2016
Greta is a dynamic lead and Noah Baumbach captures New York beautifully.
September 2, 2016
The storyline may seem to unfocused for some, but tender direction from Noah Baumbach and a lovely performance from Greta Gerwig on the title role makes up for its flaws.
½ August 31, 2016
I have to make an effort to put a 2.5 better than 2. You can see it, but it seems meaningless, going to nowhere. One of these movies you see 10 minutes and you find it interesting, you see 30 and it looks boring. Movies are made of stories, not just atmosphere or characters.
½ August 16, 2016
I think I've lived in Hong Kong too long. When I first heard of the film, FRANCES HA, I thought it was a story about a local woman. After all, I know a Connie Ha and a Shirley Ha so why not a film about a Frances Ha? But Ha is not Frances' surname, as we discover in the final scene of this very interesting indie film by Noah Baumbach and the film's star, Greta Gerwig.

Frances is a 20-something California girl (from Sacramento, to be precise). A Vassar graduate, she moved to New York a few years earlier with dreams of making it big as a dancer. She shares an apartment with her BFF from school, Sophie, who herself is busy breaking into the publishing world. Frances apprentices at a modern dance company though she's really not very good. She breaks up with her boyfriend not because he wanted her to move in with him but because it would mean moving away from Sophie, and that's not what they had planned for themselves. She lives a carefree, bohemian life on credit card debt, sure that one day she'll be "a real person", as she says it.

But while Frances may be stuck in a reality rut, drifting aimlessly from paycheque to paycheque, Sophie and her other wannabe artist friends are growing up. One by one, they leave Frances behind, leaving her to assess her own life just as it is falling apart.

Frances may be a bit of a klutz - both physically and socially - but she's a loveable (but "undateable") klutz. When she turns down a job offer that doesn't quite fit into her vision of the future, we feel sorry for her because we've all made dumb decisions when we were young and naive. The same can be said when she flies off to Paris for the weekend. She can't afford it but she goes there anyway simply because she can. And even though she has a lousy, lonely time there, her optimism is resolute. Frances is so full of life that we can't help but cheer for her even as she falls on her face over and over again.

Much criticism has been leveled that the film rips off Lena Dunham's HBO series, GIRLS, and Woody Allen's MANHATTAN. I have never seen GIRLS so I can't comment on that one. For the MANHATTAN connection, I would say that FRANCES HA isn't a rip off as much as it pays homage to both Allen and to the city. Like MANHATTAN, FRANCES HA is filmed in black and white. And Frances is similar to Allen's other New York icon, Annie Hall. They're both flaky and clumsy yet endearing at the same time.

The film also stars Mickey Sumner (Sting's daughter), Grace Gummer (Meryl Streep's daughter), and Adam Driver (who sang along with Justin Timberlake and Oscar Isaac in INSIDE LLEWYN DAVIS and who also stars in GIRLS). With FRANCES HA, we are watching the next generation of New York's - and Hollywood's - shining stars.

The film has had limited engagements in all the major cities one would expect, as well as in a host of international film festivals. If you can find it where you live, I encourage you to see it.
½ July 8, 2016
'It's after three. I can drink.'
½ June 11, 2016
I thought I'd hate it. I finally watched it, and it exceeded all expectation. It was the most unbearable movie I had ever seen. Will only appeal to under 25s whose middle class (+) parents underwrite their lifestyle, and who at some point have read either a) James Joyce, b) David Foster Wallace or c) both (ike!) to position themselves as part of the greater cultural dialogue of our civil society. It hurt me. Adam Driver is good at always playing the same dude.
June 1, 2016
5 stars**greta gerwig gives a performance of a lifetime. Dreamy, starry eyed and naive , love her every moment of her "magic" as she pirouette's perfectly thru streets of New York. Greta is a star of understated genius. Goddess!
May 21, 2016
So full of life, so full of hope, in a world we all want to be in!
½ May 18, 2016
Noah Baumbach directs and co-writes this film with his lead actress Greta Gerwig, who portrays a woman who is nearly 30 but has yet to make any real progress in her life. She has a best friend who moves out, and she drifts from place to place hopelessly hoping that her friend will come back. It is better than it sounds. I love a good black and white film, and this entire movie is really propelled by the lead performance of Gerwig, who carries the whole thing and makes it charming.
½ May 13, 2016
Sweeter, lighter version of Inside Llewyn Davis.
May 6, 2016
Although it's not as funny as I think Noah Baumbach and Greta Gerwig thought it would initially be, Frances Ha still boasts a delightful performance from Gerwig, and a well-rounded turn of realism in Baumbach's filmography.
½ April 28, 2016
What a precious gem this movie is. Greta Gerwing brings to life this truly memorable character (irritating and lovable) that most people who have never completely fit in anywhere can completely relate to. She looks a bit like Alicia Silverstone (who I believe is such a bad actress), but Greta is such a naturally emphatic actress that eventually the resembles fades away. The movie is a bittersweet late coming of age movie. Completely worth the watch - usually mumblecore movies tend to veer towards the boring - not this one.
½ April 21, 2016
Charming, and irritating, but mostly charming. Reminded me a little in tone of 'Girls'. Certainly very original and I really did care what happened to Frances, probably because I know one of two Frances's. A must see for those looking for direction.
½ April 10, 2016
Took everything I love about mumble-core and scripted it and made it shallow. I'm tired of women's stories that don't include any mention of their professional or creative lives. Frances loves to dance and can choreograph and must put a lot of time and energy into that but we never see it, we only see her relationship failures as if that's the key to her life. Men can't make art.
March 23, 2016
Greta plays a charismatic character you can't help but want to be associated with her. Here journey really resonates with the tradition from young adulthood to actually establishing yourself. Her positive mindset is something to appreciate and take note
½ March 17, 2016
It should be a felony to make a movie in black and white. There is an awful scene where she tries to play fight with a friend who makes it clear several times that she is horrified by the idea and keeps telling her to stop. That scene was enough to make me dislike the movie the 1st time. She has charm and vibrance.
March 8, 2016
Growing up in your late 20s is hard. Growing up in your late 20s in NYC is very hard. Keeping a positive outlook while broke in NYC in your 20s, makes this a unique perspective work of art from Co-Writer/Director Noah Baumbach.

Co-Writer and star Greta Gerwig (Frances), gives a brilliant heartfelt performance and carries this film into the crevices of your mind where it will sit with you.

Frances consistently gets kicked in the teeth and comes out smiling. Shot in Black and white for the right reason, "Frances Ha" is a simple movie about life in your late 20s and the obstacles thrown at you from so many directions.