Frances Ha - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frances Ha Reviews

January 31, 2016
Movie can be a little boring at times. But Greta Gerwig's performance makes it worth a watch.
½ January 22, 2016
great directing and acting all around
½ January 16, 2016
I don't know what it is but there is something unbearably white about Noah Baumbach's films. FRANCES HA is the perfect film for people who think Woody Allen films are becoming too diverse. I don't have any issues with an all-white cast - Whit Stillman's films for instance - but there's such a lack of self-awareness in this film that it gets really teeth-grinding. Mumble-core east.
½ January 4, 2016
Very good movie. Great writing, great acting, great story, really liked the lead. But, it was a bit unfocused and towards the end, it was a bit repetitive and the story didn't lead on.
December 21, 2015
The story definitely meanders but it feels like that is the point. This is the life of an artist struggling to survive in New York City. The black and white film stock gives it a timeless feel.
December 20, 2015
Frances is Happy,Frances is Happy.
November 2, 2015
Baumbach and Gerwig's dive into late twenties melancholy will probably put a smile on your face at some point. Thankful (and surprised) Brazil's RT Features was compelled to fund it. Its ROI is guaranteed.
½ October 30, 2015
Self indulgent hipster nonsense. Don't bother.
October 29, 2015
Frances Ha she is really awkward because she is exactly herself (ALL THE TIME). So its that slow awkwardness of her own self being.
½ October 26, 2015
Review In A Nutshell:

Themes of independence, passion, pride, and lack of direction are bread and butter of independent contemporary cinema, but so far none has executed it with such style and grace as Frances Ha.

This was a film that I was looking forward to seeing for such a long time, as at the time of release and during award season, this film was gaining such high regards to both critics and the general public; praising Greta Gerwig's performances as the titular character and Noah Baumbach's inspired direction. Now that I have seen it, the film certainly did not meet the super high expectations that I had towards the film, but it did deliver enough for me to actually like it.

As I have stated, this is a film about independence and passion; it follows a protagonist who begins living independently with her best friend, Sophie, hoping that their lives would lead to artistic success and financially maintaining themselves through their passionate ambitions. It is certainly dream that many share, I too at one point wished that I could manage a band or act as cinematographer for a film, but life does not work that way. In reality, people who aim towards passion over money are living difficult and opportunistic lives. Frances Ha certainly carries this pessimistic view on independent modern day living, and giving it an awkward comedic push to reflect accurately the facade that Frances is putting up towards the people around her, as she does not want her problems to be directly dumped on others; she certainly is a burden to the people around her, but at least she is aware of it. Many might disagree with the conclusion of the film, as some might see it as her selling out, but I see it as a person who has achieved a sense of balance in her life; pushing her pride aside and understanding the responsibilities that she has to maintain. Though this was kind of obvious, but it certainly resonated with me, as I am also a stubborn individual and only wanting do what I want to do, even if it means not having a home.

Noah Baumbach, in creating and shaping Frances Ha, has taken elements from his filmmaking influences and blending them to create something original. The film acts as part French New Wave and part Woody Allen, which honestly is not really that far from each other. It was so wonderful that Baumbach has given as a look of New York that we rarely see in cinema, as the city truly looks awful at times and the film captures it perfectly through the use of black and white imagery; allowing the titular character to come off as a shining figure "gracefully" cruising through the city. It was also lovely to hear musical scores sourced from the very best of French New Wave cinema and placing them in sequences that are different from the original, not only enhancing the scene but also gaining a new perspective on the music itself.

The core reason that I could not give this film any higher praise is due to the film's some moments lacking the emotional impact needed to make its themes resonate. Sure, I had an entertaining time watching Frances do quirky and bubbly things, but if they are emotionally hollow, then the film becomes much more difficult to watch, especially during subsequent viewings.

If there is one thing everyone should be able to agree on is the performance that Greta Gerwig has given for Frances. She plays the role so well, allowing the audience to admire her while also feel sympathetic towards her situation. Gerwig was able to bring laughs to the character through her ability to create awkward and hesitant responses and impulsive ideas that would seem hilarious when viewed from a distance, but when actually involved in it, it causes a feeling of annoyance.

Frances Ha may not have gracefully swept me off my feet, but through its energetic performance from Gerwig and Baumbach's influenced direction, made up for the film's shortcomings.
October 14, 2015
Frances is one of the most likeable characters I've come across in a while. She is chaotic and sometimes makes terrible decisions but she is so fun and genuine: it was Gerwig's presentation of her that made this such a total joy to watch. It was such a funny, lovely and honest film and a beautiful celebration of female friendship, even in its sad imperfections.
October 14, 2015
Turn your dial up to "manic pixie dream girl" and see if you can appreciate what is supposed to be a comedy but didn't actually make me laugh all that much. The core conceit is so tired at this stage I'm genuinely trying to figure out how it's done so well critically.

Is it that it plays so much on a benign sense of nostalgia or because it's in black and white so it's art house, right?
October 5, 2015
The hipster's take on Woody Allen's Manhattan, a tale of of what it's like being a tall awkward child trying to make it in New York
½ September 24, 2015
At times too self indulgent for its own good, but Greta Gerwig is outstanding and cinematography exquisite (in black and white splendor) in this deceptively simple story of a young woman drifting in life.
September 23, 2015
Realmente me parece curioso ver una pelÝcula americana totalmente francesa.
Anyway, es buen cine, pero, no particularmente interesante ni constructivo. De hecho los personajes y protagonista son bastante repelentes y odiosos, es realmente complicado que te gusten las mierdas que les pasan.
½ September 17, 2015
A thoughtful & clever film about Young Adult Frances' (Played perfectly by Greta Gerwig) struggle to move forward with her life in NYC shot in beautiful black & white.

Most films of this nature are usually happy & everything goes great for them but not this film...incredible accurate & truthful story of a woman with much more heart than talent trying to make her way in life.

Natural dialogue, realistic situations & generally likable film. I heard Greta is working with the same director on another project that would definitely be worth a watch.
September 14, 2015
I put off watching this film. Ignoring Rotten Tomatoes 93% Certified Fresh badge, simply because I hate chic flicks!! I went in thinking it would piss me off, and Frances did piss me off a couple times. This movie conveyed like no other to me how we cannot receive everything we need from one person. No matter who we love or how deeply we love another human being, both will need something the other cannot give. Better yet, simply does not have it to give. Unfortunately, many of us will go through much sadness and pain trying to give or receive everything from one person. Unlike Frances some of us will fight, scratch, and crawl towards this unatainable fantasy. What Frances Ha progressively animates is the beauty in taking the pressure off of someone to be everything, and enjoy each person's something('s).
½ September 11, 2015
A movie that's as real as it is quirky. A brilliant performance by Greta Gerwig and even though Adam Driver only had a few minutes of screen time he was incredible too. 4.5 out of 5 stars.
September 5, 2015
It was okay. Its basically a "I don't know what I'm doing in life" type movie, in which the titular character of Frances Ha seems like she has no idea what she is doing. But the kicker is, she doesn't. She has no fixed resident and constantly stays with new people, struggles with the rent because her dance company is iffy, and is on and off with her best friend Sophie. Ultimately, Frances Ha is a movie about finding yourself, and even if the movie is slow or different or pretentious with the black & white, you can sense something good just beneath the surface.