Frances Ha - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frances Ha Reviews

½ October 26, 2015
Review In A Nutshell:

Themes of independence, passion, pride, and lack of direction are bread and butter of independent contemporary cinema, but so far none has executed it with such style and grace as Frances Ha.

This was a film that I was looking forward to seeing for such a long time, as at the time of release and during award season, this film was gaining such high regards to both critics and the general public; praising Greta Gerwig's performances as the titular character and Noah Baumbach's inspired direction. Now that I have seen it, the film certainly did not meet the super high expectations that I had towards the film, but it did deliver enough for me to actually like it.

As I have stated, this is a film about independence and passion; it follows a protagonist who begins living independently with her best friend, Sophie, hoping that their lives would lead to artistic success and financially maintaining themselves through their passionate ambitions. It is certainly dream that many share, I too at one point wished that I could manage a band or act as cinematographer for a film, but life does not work that way. In reality, people who aim towards passion over money are living difficult and opportunistic lives. Frances Ha certainly carries this pessimistic view on independent modern day living, and giving it an awkward comedic push to reflect accurately the facade that Frances is putting up towards the people around her, as she does not want her problems to be directly dumped on others; she certainly is a burden to the people around her, but at least she is aware of it. Many might disagree with the conclusion of the film, as some might see it as her selling out, but I see it as a person who has achieved a sense of balance in her life; pushing her pride aside and understanding the responsibilities that she has to maintain. Though this was kind of obvious, but it certainly resonated with me, as I am also a stubborn individual and only wanting do what I want to do, even if it means not having a home.

Noah Baumbach, in creating and shaping Frances Ha, has taken elements from his filmmaking influences and blending them to create something original. The film acts as part French New Wave and part Woody Allen, which honestly is not really that far from each other. It was so wonderful that Baumbach has given as a look of New York that we rarely see in cinema, as the city truly looks awful at times and the film captures it perfectly through the use of black and white imagery; allowing the titular character to come off as a shining figure "gracefully" cruising through the city. It was also lovely to hear musical scores sourced from the very best of French New Wave cinema and placing them in sequences that are different from the original, not only enhancing the scene but also gaining a new perspective on the music itself.

The core reason that I could not give this film any higher praise is due to the film's some moments lacking the emotional impact needed to make its themes resonate. Sure, I had an entertaining time watching Frances do quirky and bubbly things, but if they are emotionally hollow, then the film becomes much more difficult to watch, especially during subsequent viewings.

If there is one thing everyone should be able to agree on is the performance that Greta Gerwig has given for Frances. She plays the role so well, allowing the audience to admire her while also feel sympathetic towards her situation. Gerwig was able to bring laughs to the character through her ability to create awkward and hesitant responses and impulsive ideas that would seem hilarious when viewed from a distance, but when actually involved in it, it causes a feeling of annoyance.

Frances Ha may not have gracefully swept me off my feet, but through its energetic performance from Gerwig and Baumbach's influenced direction, made up for the film's shortcomings.
October 14, 2015
Frances is one of the most likeable characters I've come across in a while. She is chaotic and sometimes makes terrible decisions but she is so fun and genuine: it was Gerwig's presentation of her that made this such a total joy to watch. It was such a funny, lovely and honest film and a beautiful celebration of female friendship, even in its sad imperfections.
October 14, 2015
Turn your dial up to "manic pixie dream girl" and see if you can appreciate what is supposed to be a comedy but didn't actually make me laugh all that much. The core conceit is so tired at this stage I'm genuinely trying to figure out how it's done so well critically.

Is it that it plays so much on a benign sense of nostalgia or because it's in black and white so it's art house, right?
October 5, 2015
The hipster's take on Woody Allen's Manhattan, a tale of of what it's like being a tall awkward child trying to make it in New York
½ September 24, 2015
At times too self indulgent for its own good, but Greta Gerwig is outstanding and cinematography exquisite (in black and white splendor) in this deceptively simple story of a young woman drifting in life.
September 23, 2015
Realmente me parece curioso ver una película americana totalmente francesa.
Anyway, es buen cine, pero, no particularmente interesante ni constructivo. De hecho los personajes y protagonista son bastante repelentes y odiosos, es realmente complicado que te gusten las mierdas que les pasan.
½ September 17, 2015
A thoughtful & clever film about Young Adult Frances' (Played perfectly by Greta Gerwig) struggle to move forward with her life in NYC shot in beautiful black & white.

Most films of this nature are usually happy & everything goes great for them but not this film...incredible accurate & truthful story of a woman with much more heart than talent trying to make her way in life.

Natural dialogue, realistic situations & generally likable film. I heard Greta is working with the same director on another project that would definitely be worth a watch.
September 14, 2015
I put off watching this film. Ignoring Rotten Tomatoes 93% Certified Fresh badge, simply because I hate chic flicks!! I went in thinking it would piss me off, and Frances did piss me off a couple times. This movie conveyed like no other to me how we cannot receive everything we need from one person. No matter who we love or how deeply we love another human being, both will need something the other cannot give. Better yet, simply does not have it to give. Unfortunately, many of us will go through much sadness and pain trying to give or receive everything from one person. Unlike Frances some of us will fight, scratch, and crawl towards this unatainable fantasy. What Frances Ha progressively animates is the beauty in taking the pressure off of someone to be everything, and enjoy each person's something('s).
½ September 11, 2015
A movie that's as real as it is quirky. A brilliant performance by Greta Gerwig and even though Adam Driver only had a few minutes of screen time he was incredible too. 4.5 out of 5 stars.
September 5, 2015
It was okay. Its basically a "I don't know what I'm doing in life" type movie, in which the titular character of Frances Ha seems like she has no idea what she is doing. But the kicker is, she doesn't. She has no fixed resident and constantly stays with new people, struggles with the rent because her dance company is iffy, and is on and off with her best friend Sophie. Ultimately, Frances Ha is a movie about finding yourself, and even if the movie is slow or different or pretentious with the black & white, you can sense something good just beneath the surface.
September 4, 2015
A black and white dramacom about a struggling dances trying to find her way in NY. Baumbach clearly went all indie with this shooting in BW and without permits in NY streets. Gerwig is not only perfect in the lead but also wrote this with the director. Definitely worth a look for those who enjoy their movies with a little experimental twist.
September 1, 2015
Great, my kind of movie. So young and deep. Love it.
August 29, 2015
Such a charming and uplifting film; it's also a wonderful salute to the French New Wave. Love Greta Gerwig as Frances (you can't help but fall hard for her), and the script by Gerwig and Baumbach is impeccably written. Some people may be annoyed by some of the hipster characters and their behavior, but that's because they are natural and incredibly believable characters. Gerwig's irresistible charm makes this character approachable and realistic; even when she is struggling with her life and fails to put anything together, you can't help but root for her. Frances Ha is one of Noah Baumbach's best films, and perhaps the most emotionally resonant one. It's a really good movie.
½ August 23, 2015
Nice tribute to the French New Wave
August 19, 2015
Similar to Baumbach's The Squid and The Whale, I loved Frances Ha...I just wish I knew why. It's quirky, that's for sure. Greta Gerwig gives a joyfully absurd performance as the title character, a character that I adored from start to finish. Frances Ha is unique. And weird. And exceptionally enjoyable. Also like The Squid and The Whale, it requires repeated viewings (which I look forward to).
August 16, 2015
gretas character is very zanny.
July 30, 2015
A hidden comedic masterpiece
July 23, 2015
"I want this one moment. It's . . . it's what I want in a relationship, which might explain why I am single now. Ha, ha. It's, uh, it's kind of hard to . . . It's that thing when you're with someone and you love them
and they know it, and they love you and you know it, but it's a party . . . and you're both talking to other people, and you're laughing and shining . . . and you look across the room and catch each other's eyes, but . . . but not because you're possessive or it's precisely sexual, but because that is your person in this life. And it's funny and sad, but only because this life will end, and it's this secret world that exists right there in public, unnoticed, that no one else knows about. It's sort of like-how they say?-that, um, other dimensions exist all around us, but we don't have the ability to perceive them. That's . . . that's what I want out of a relationship. Or just life, I guess. Love. . . . I sound stoned. I'm not stoned. Thanks for dinner. Bye."
July 20, 2015
Frances Ha does a superb job at capturing the real depth of character portrayed by Gerwig, as well as reflecting her mixed emotions towards best friend Sophie throughout. In terms of plot there seems little to grasp beyond the character, but that is all you need focus on in this film.
July 15, 2015
Really, really, really well done, modern comedy. Greta Gerwig was fantastic! A brilliant performance.