200 Motels - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

200 Motels Reviews

½ April 3, 2016
Beware - this acid film is for extremely stoned Frank Zappa fans only! This is essentially a number of crappy vignettes and skits strung together with no cohesion. This is far worse that The Monkees' "Head". There are special effects (cheap by today's standards) throughout to confuse this filth even further. Incoherent, foolish, immature. The majority of people like myself who never could understand Zappa's art or popularity, will not appreciate this film.

Interesting to see Ringo Starr and Keith Moon having fun dressing up, being drunk and having a silly ball. How anyone could have rated this higher than my 1 out of 10 is baffling.
December 14, 2014
Frank Zappa's great cinema triumph - my favorite film of all time!!!!!
½ April 15, 2014
Like a cross between a Saturday morning kids show and god knows what.
Plus Ringo.
December 26, 2013
A mix of what were fantastic visual effect, incredible music and wonderful irreverent comedy. Recommended.
August 19, 2013
ummmmmm ummmmmmmm ya that's all I gotta say no words for this movie
April 19, 2013
I'm a pretty die hard Zappa fan but this was middle of the road at best. Very uneven as far as the comedy goes but the music was great. This is a good time capsule for fans to see the early 70s band with Flo and Eddie and how great this period of the band was musically. The comedy part of this incarnation of the band was very very stale after about a few minutes. So its not a surprise that this didn't do so great when it first hit theaters.I'll have to make a personal note to myself right now and say I need to watch this again sometime when I've taken a bag of shrooms or a hit of acid sometime. Maybe then it will make alittle more sense and be funnier.
A better all around Zappa concert movie is Baby Snakes from 1979 or the 1982 Halloween Concert from New York.
½ April 7, 2013
Extremely pretentious, but so whacked out it's at least interesting.
August 19, 2012
The most bizare thing ever filmed. it makes no sense at all from begging to end and s so random and over the top you will feel like your on drugs or have some severe mental condition while you watch this. Serously i have no idea what to rate this i cannot tell for the life of me if this is good or bad. It just something that needs to be seen to be belived. If you suffer from photosenative epilepsey i suggest you dont watch this. Zappas career was making music that cant be classfied as well as this film that cant be rated.
August 5, 2012
I love Zappa, but I just couldn't get into this film. The performances are great (this version of The Mothers is in many ways the best) but the film itself is soo unfocused!
½ July 28, 2012
76%

What seems like pure insanity to most, makes perfect sense to those touring, and those associated with the biz. This is Zappa's interpertation, an experimental work of art. Those who oppose drugs and counter culture will despise this film.
½ June 23, 2012
I'm not convinced enough drugs exist for this to make sense. Different , Ill give it that.
May 8, 2012
It's worth revisiting every year or so, you'll find something different on each viewing.
April 16, 2012
zappa is the man!!!!!!!
½ March 31, 2012
A bizarre, virtually plot-less, and often subversive descent into music biz madness, that could only be delivered by the one and only Frank Zappa. Like the film version of Pink Floyd's The Wall, 200 Motels is best left to fans, but fans of contemporary absurdest humor like Tim and Eric Awesome Show Great Job and Wonder Showzen should find this movie ahead of the curb for it's time.
½ January 21, 2012
As irreverent and bizarre as it is a test of Zappa stamina. It's not that it's bad, just trying.
January 4, 2012
It had a stupid story. Very cheap. Made no sense.
December 21, 2011
Self indulgent twaddle, 200 Motels is still worth a look. Cal Schenkle's wonderful loony animation is a plus. The band is great and 200 M also contains some of Zappa's best symphonic creations covered by the London Philharmonic. All-in-all a time capsule of early 70's musician in-jokes.
October 10, 2011
366weirdmovies
½ October 2, 2011
Ringo Starr IS Larry the Dwarf AS Frank Zappa in this druggy pastiche of skits, solarized footage, crude animations, and an operetta about a penis. Most people will wonder what they were smoking when they came up with this; Zappa fans will wonder where they can get some.