Frankenhood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frankenhood Reviews

Cinema-Maniac
April 16, 2014
A title like "Frankenhood" leaves little to possibility. Sure the end product will turn out bad, but at least the title suggests an outlandish concept can provide campy fun. Basically the film all it is "We reanimated a corpse. Let's go smoke some pot and shoot some hoops" with no shred or pulse of creativity.

Frankenhood is about two guys who work at a morgue enlisting the services of a reanimated corpse to better their chances at a streetball tournament. Imagine a white guy whose only exposure to black people was through stereotypes in films and you have the film script in a nutshell. Filled with "black" and "gangsta" dialogue that fail at repersenting its brotha. This writer be wack if they b representing them homeboys like this would b fly. That last sentence is pretty much in the same line of dialogue it provides. My personal favorite line of bad dialogue even in context sounds bad is, "Yeah, your farts do smell kinda nutty". This line of dialogue is horrible for three reasons; 1.) a character can recognize the smell of his best friend farts, 2.) its discussed so naturally among the two friends, and 3.) farting is Frank-E first action when he's alive. Failing in providing crass "humor" ensuring every joke fails because it doesn't follow any rules of humor. Since there's no consequences of any sort in a comedic situation there's no punishment the characters receive. Therefore there's nothing funny about it if every situation is passed up as a mundane annoyance. Not even when two grown man take taller grown man Frank-E to the bathroom it does nothing with the setup. The protagonist sister hears what sounds like an attempt to make a sex joke and walks away without much of an reaction. Another example, once the antagonist discover Frank-E is a reanimated corpse he just goes on with his everyday life. Apparently according to this film resurrecting the dead is common thing in the neighborhood. As for a plot you're not going find much underneath all its fat. Subplots are easily resolve/forgotten and characters are underdeveloped. Like the protagonist love interest who appears in two scenes before the "I thought you were different" line comes up. Wasting time with bad jokes, Frank-E learning to dance, streetball montage, throwing popcorn chicken to divert Frank-E attention, peeping through a window, a mad scientist walking around the neighborhood, and are you kidding me I barely scratched the surface of how often it wasted time.

Now the film is directored by someone named Blaxwell Smart. He does live up to his last name by making a comedy film that is entirely humorless. One example being Smart setting up scene where the protagonist (named Motown) attempting to "get it on" with a women by telling her he's an astronaut. The woman tells Motown she didn't know there was black astronaut. Instead of following up on "It's a funny story" Smart cuts away from that scene. This goes for the streetball (basically basketball with a maximum of three players) scenes feeling like a waste of time. You think having Frank-E play streetball would be funny, nope that is was what Smart wants you think. Every streetball game has little humor with the most "creative jokes" being Frank-E licking a basketball and a player getting arrested on the opposing team during a live game. Blaxwell knows how to kill comedy in his own movie, but since this is a comedy Smart is actually dumb for killing jokes. DeRay Davis and Jasper Redd are the unfunny actors that carry the film. DeRay Davis improv is so bad there's a scene in the film that splices six of his take of the same scene in a minute. His timing is off and his acting is bland going along with his stereotyped character. Jasper Redd has a bit more range compare to Davis, but is weighed down by the material. Whenever Redd has to deliver a "joke" he has to hold for a minute no matter how dead it is. Bob Sapp has little dialogue relying allot more on his appearances. His performance is one of the more competent only requiring to do silly faces. Charles Murphy is the best actor in the film which is not saying much. He plays his role straightforward provides some semblance of energy. Music tends to be inappropriate for the tone it sets in scenes. In the opening scene it opens in a morgue and some bodies while playing cheery music. Also, for nearly an all rap score it has a heavy metal track that sticks out badly.

Frankenhood is likely the product of filmmakers who also probably believe resurrecting the dead is a common thing "in tha hood" as Blaxwell Smart would put it. Its characters are stereotyped, story with no understanding of humor, and actors that while not annoying are lazy in providing much from the dead material. Much like Frank-E, the comedy is dead aimlessly wasting time.
½ October 1, 2012
this movie is funny.
½ June 28, 2012
This was on BET today while I was working on my thesis...could I say no to watching it?
April 8, 2012
For a low budget ghetto flick, this wasn't too bad. The mad scientist guy looked looks like an older version of Eddie Murphy.
May 22, 2011
This is not a good movie, it has potential, but it's just not being carried out in the film. There are some funny elements and good lines, but all in all the only thing making this worth seeing, is the nice ladies :)
½ August 15, 2010
Silly, but entertaining. Good tunes.
½ April 6, 2010
When the best acting is from bob sapp you gotta be concerned!! Dreadful idea for a movie that questions my sanity of why i would even watch such garbage?? Its just not funny and every one apart from sapp as the frankensteins monster is so unlikable.
October 31, 2009
lol wow frankenstein in the hood lol
½ July 2, 2009
not bad funny movie just watched it on the net
½ June 30, 2009
This movie blow my ass up... Great :)
June 25, 2009
i like new movie because i never i watch movie maybe wait furture
June 16, 2009
When moonlight crawls along the street Chasing away the summer heat Footsteps side side somewhere below The world revolves I've let it go We build our church above the street We practice love between these sheets The candy sweetness scent of you It bathes my skin I'm stained in you And all I have to do is hold you There's a racing within my heart And I am barely touching you [Chorus] Turn the lights down low Take it off Let me show My love for you Insatiable Turn me on Never stop Wanna taste every drop My love for you Insatiable The moonlight plays upon your skin A kiss that lingers takes me in I fall asleep inside of you There are no words There's only truth Breathe in, breathe out There is no sound We move together up and down We levitate our bodies so
June 16, 2009
this one does not look like bad film really
June 16, 2009
Very few laughs on this one. Barely worth a rental! Unless your a fan of one of the "B" rate actors in this movie, SKIP IT!!!!!
.....................WHAT THE FUCK!?!?!?!?!?
June 15, 2009
Sounds demeaning to us all.
Not my kind of movie.
June 15, 2009
Do black people really relate to this? These type movies never seem to get criticized by fools like Al Sharpton, when they are more stereotypically offensive than anything conservative radio will ever say. Why the silence?
June 15, 2009
Coolio, its Got Charlie Murhy, eddies brother i love him too. he's hillarious just in a more gritty urban way.