Frankenstein - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frankenstein Reviews

December 11, 2015
It is the best, most amazing and neglected version of the 1818 novel. You see it, you feel it and you never want to let go.
December 5, 2015
This is absolutely the most beautiful, under rated and most faithful to the origina novel version of Frankenstein I have ever seen.
½ July 10, 2015
Most faithful to the book version of this novel that I've ever come across. The only things that weren't the same as the book, just couldn't be shown on film. Mary Shelley never said how the monster is brought to life--she never mentions electricity, the invention of the first film. And the monster before animation is beautiful, like a statue. What makes is hideous is that after being brought to life, is that it's life-force is so unnatural. I only wish that some of the acting in major roles could have been better. The big name actors were only in supporting roles. Luke Goss was very good, though.
July 29, 2014
This made-for-TV epic comes off well as three and a half hour DVD film. It does have a rather stiff TV movie feel to it but it's refreshing to see the screenplay stick very closely to Mary Shelley's original book. Alec Newman is a little bland as Victor Frankenstein and Hurt and Sutherland are in minor supporting roles unfortunately. Hurt manages to ham things up a little, being the only one with a foreign accent for some reason. Julie Delphy puts ina fine performance.The monster is surprisingly "handsome" and his fragile sensitivity is well portrayed by Luke Goss (perhaps the best performance in the part since Karloff?). WOrth seeing if you are a Frankenstein nut like me.
½ April 29, 2014
This was the truest adaptation of this story that I have ever watched. There were a few minor changes made, but nothing that effected the outcome of the story.
March 22, 2013
Kevin Connor's "Frankenstein" is a pretty faithful adaptation of the novel by Mary Shelley. This 3 1/2 hr made for television film leaves out few details (sometimes to a fault) and while it makes a few changes, these are very minor and for big fans of the book, it will be a pleasant experience. On the other hand, the movie does not really attempt anything new with the material, so if you are familiar with it, you may wish to see a fresh interpretation. The movie aims to make us feel sympathetic to both the creature and the doctor and it succeeds, with good performances from Luke Goss and Alec Newman. Some of the performances by the younger actors are not very good but otherwise it's well acted and as interesting as the original source material. You'll be hard pressed to find a more faithful adaptation so if you needed a refresher of the story or if you are studying the book this is a great watch. (Dvd, July 29, 2012)
½ January 24, 2012
This is not an easy film to find. I think I essentially enjoyed the film though Delpy was only in the film up until her character's death (early on in the film as I recall). This probably doesn't match up to earlier films on Frankenstein but I'm glad I watched it.
November 2, 2011
The creature is ineffective as an ugly abomination and instead is subdued as a handsome vampire with no blood in its veins. It's a laugh when the people yell "Monster!" when there really isn't a monster, unless you mean a man in a really heavy cloak. I would love to punch the casting director on this one.
March 4, 2011
For a Hallmark movie, its very well-made, and it let me sympathize with the monster and his reasons of leading Victor to his undoing.
½ February 12, 2011
Although slightly marred by being made on a for-TV budget, without doubt the most faithful to the novel. Luke Goss is the standout performance as the emotionally torn Creature. The major themes of Shelley's novel are intact, with references to Paradise Lost and the inverse parallel of the Creature to Adam. Definitely worth one's time (even the three hours it takes to complete).
November 9, 2010
The best modern Frankenstein film I've seen. Way better than the one with De Niro. Luke Goss is the most accurate-to-the-novel Monster of any version I've seen, and I've seen four or five.
July 29, 2009
lavish production that brings the story to life. very long but it gives fans a story that stays true to the source. much better then expected this is helped by a great cast and a well written story
½ March 4, 2009
this movie was 99.9% acurrate. but because of that it is very long and it might take a few days to watch the entire thing.