Frankenstein Created Woman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frankenstein Created Woman Reviews

December 31, 2011
I just watched this for the umpteenth time. It may have its flaws but I was raised on a steady diet of movies from Hammer Films.
½ November 24, 2011
Hammer's fourth Frankestein is pale and badly stitched.
November 22, 2011
Not the best in the series. Peter Cushing is great as usual and even with Hammer's top director Terence Fisher, the movie is hokey and doesn't make sense.
½ October 10, 2011
Below average Hammer horror. Too much farting about and not enough Peter Cushing.
July 20, 2011
I was ready to turn this off pretty quickly, but gave it another chance. I've always been fascinated by genre hybrids, especially genres that shouldn't work together. Not only does this have a great Vadim-inspired title, but the first hour blends takes the concept of "sins of the father" and blends them with a Romeo and Juliet story. Eventually, when the Frankenstein ideas come into play, we get a twisted spin on Pygmalion (which I've always thought could be pilfered brilliantly for horror).
½ July 3, 2011
A superior entry in Hammer's Frankenstein series. One of the few of the more brutal Hammers that actually has heart.
½ April 21, 2011
Takes far too long to get going but picks up at the end, also has an interesting gender issue worthy of study.
½ April 14, 2011
Not one of the best of the series but some good moments - Cushing seems more withdrawn in this picture
½ March 20, 2011
A nearly perfect Frankenstein movie. I can't find any proof that Roy Ward Baker directed this besides the listing on facebook. It seems a bit weird for a Fisher movie but it flows like the best of his movies. This is a nutso story about corpses again (after the Golem like departure of the Evil of Frankenstein). It has great bad guys. I realized that this is the one connection of all the Frankenstein Hammer films (besides Cushing), they all have this weird clash between stupid authority and genius. It comes up over and over again as a motivation for all the drama. Created Woman is really beautifully filmed by Arthur Grant who shot some of the best Hammer films. This is so close to being 5 stars for me but misses it by just a tiny bit.
January 5, 2011
The fourth in Hammers Frankenstein franchise that takes a while to get going but is worth sticking with, as it raises a lot of questions, regarding the soul and identity or in the case of this film gender identity. Cushing is reliable as ever as The Baron, but special mention must go to Thorley Walters as Doctor Hertz who for all is bumbling balances out The Barons mean streak. One for Hammer purists only as by this point the franchise bore little resemblance to the source material but had successfully created an identity of its own, thanks largely to Cushing.
November 27, 2010
I wonder if standard Living Will documents have a box to check for: "If I am wrong executed for a crime I didn't commit, please do not put my brain into the body of my dead girl-friend/one-night-stand."

Also, Bernard from YES, MINISTER / YES, PRIME MINISTER and Rumpole's Soapy Sam Ballard make for the least threatening droogs ever.
½ October 31, 2010
the imperious baron imprisons the soul of a condemned man in the body of his suicidal lover, creating a vengeful swedish supermodel! it's no bride of frankenstein but it's very entertaining and seems almost quaint when u consider this came out only one year before rosemary's baby and night of the living dead. still my favorite hammer series and cushing rules as the mad doctor
October 29, 2010
½ October 10, 2010
Goofy in the extreme, this film manages to avoid being a total failure only because of Peter Cushing, who (even with an awful, ridiculous screenplay) still manages to deliver a great performance.
September 6, 2010
Mike you have to rate the older films on a scale set to the day. The style and effort to make this film 43 years ago makes it worthy of at least 3 and a half out of 5 stars. What could be done today would be great but audiences probably wouldn't go. The kids want blood and gore and very few people over 35 even look at this genre any more. It is a pity growing up in Oshkosh I watched all of these films at the Grand on a Sunday afternoon, usually three or four at a time.
½ September 6, 2010
Not much happening here.
½ May 21, 2010
....and Frankenstein created woman!!!! a very good classic one!
½ May 12, 2010
Hammers 4th Frankenstein outing has Cushing working on soul transference. Frankenstein has lost all of his sinister edge in this one. No longer is he grave robbing (well he does steal one body but compared to the like of Revenge of Frankenstein the obsessed doctor is a boy scout). I find as Hammer continues in this series (although good) they seem to be missing something. In this case (as w/ others) a real monster. He surgically repairs a disfigured girl & puts another soul into her body which causes conflict as it seeks revenge. This could almost be a story of schizophrenia but rather turns into a story of retribution. It has it moments but not nearly as good as most Frankenstein movies Ive seen..& I hate the ending