Franz Kafka's It's a Wonderful Life Reviews

• Greg S Super Reviewer
    Oct 16, 2013

A tormented Franz Kafka struggles to complete the first line of his story "The Metamorphosis" ("Gregor Samsa turns into a giant WHAT?"), and the constant interruptions by his weird and disconcerting neighbors don't help. A black comedy that manages to be a paranoia parody and legitimately unsettling at the same time, beautifully scripted and with a wonderfully twitchy performance by Richard E. Grant; about 20 minutes is the perfect length for this material.

• Aug 07, 2013

Terrific. Won the Oscar for Best Live Action Short in 1994. Watch it and you'll see why.

• Aug 06, 2013

Richard E. Grant stars as the writer Franz Kafka in this bizarre short film written and directed by actor Peter Capaldi. We see Kafka struggle to write his most famous work, "Metamorphosis", as he is interrupted by strange people in his building...it all leads to a parody of the ending to "It's a Wonderful Life" that is truly bizarre and hilarious. An enjoyable short film.

Daniel D Super Reviewer
    Aug 22, 2012

A cheesy but surprisingly good short film. The writer being portrayed is an uptight coward suffering from Writers Block. He is trying to find something that a regular man would all of a sudden become a ginormous version of. Distracting him are a bum looking for "his little friend", a party below him, and a vagabond costume seller. They all tie into the story at the end. While it seemed like something you'd see on PBS at two in the afternoon it just felt nice to watch. The humor was entertaining and the road to the end was filled with its moments

• Jun 17, 2012

really nice and refreshing love it

really nice and refreshing love it

• May 07, 2011

Possibly the most distrubing thing I've ever watched in my life. Yet, it is absolutely brilliant in every possible way. Besides being extremely disturbing, it also has some of the most fantastic acting that I've ever seen in any film. Definitely a must-watch, even if you do end up getting nightmares after this. :)

• Jan 13, 2010

A silly look at what Kafka might have gone through to get inspired to write his classic "Metamorphosis."

• Oct 27, 2009

I'l show you some Academy Award-winning shorts, but you'll have to buy me a drink first.

• May 01, 2008

An old friend who goes by the name 03 recommended this some years ago. Love Spice World's Richard E. Grant in general but this one let me down a little bit. Fans of early Sam Raimi will undoubtedly love it.

• Sep 21, 2007

Confusing movie starting in a promising way only to end up into a christmas charol.