Freak Show - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Freak Show Reviews

June 28, 2018
I liked the cast. I liked the story. I liked the colorful wardrobe. But most of all I liked the message. That it's okay to be queer, to be different. "Love Simon" and "Alex Strangelove" were nice movies but they featured straight-acting guys "suddenly" discovering they were gay. They were very safe. It's okay. He's just like us. (gag) But not everyone is masculine. Not everyone can fit in with the sheep. Let's hear it for the kids who dare to be different. Those are my people!
½ June 15, 2018
It was actually fun, I'm quite sympathetic with the 'freaks' so I had a great time watching this movie. Acting was good, costumes were fabulous. There sure were cliches but we live in a world where everything is said and done.
½ April 6, 2018
Brilliant!
Funny and inspiring
March 30, 2018
Based on Party Monster James St. James's novel, this light-hearted indie drama gives us Billy Bloom, a gay teenager arriving on his first day at a new school dressed in his own flamboyant and unique style, and explores the bullying culture against a non-conforming minority with a funny screenplay that's believable and super self-aware at the same time. First time director Trudie Styler (assisted by cinematographer Dante Spinotti who gives it an extra professional sheen) delivers a breezy film about acceptance and tolerance that is heartfelt and charming in equal measures. Sentiments are thankfully kept in check as the script avoids easy options and over-neat resolutions to ground an already fairytale-like story with a sense of reality. It further boasts an amiable cast of young actors, and in particular Alex Lawther's Billy, who never grates or falls into stereotypes; and a fabulous whirlwind of a cameo by Bette Midler as Billy's mum; but it's Celia Weston who won me over as the initially disapproving housekeeper whose compassion shines through in crucial moments in the film. Giving the main character a gay twist (and a privileged background that might justify the many outrageous outfits he can afford but could otherwise detracts from the film's message), this follows in the footsteps of films such as the recent Lady Bird, and even Election, going further back, and is a likeable and resonating film for audiences queer or not alike.
February 4, 2018
did not enjoy. found it boring. not my type of lgbt movie at all.
½ February 1, 2018
i love this movie so much!!!! i love alex lawther act so so much
½ January 31, 2018
It does have a sort of predictable story, but it is a great piece of art. Well directed, well acted and a necessary liberty step to these "let's build a wall" days.
January 27, 2018
I'm not sure why the movie was SO different from the book. The script tried really hard to stay true while changing characters in really substantial ways. Because of this--, it doesn't really work. I actually want to know why some of the changes were made-- was it because of actors demands or incompetent screen adapters? Anyway-- if you loved the book, you will be disappointed. That being said. The movie gets rid of the romantic plot and instead plays with a Billy and both of his parents' relationship with him. This might be intentional for some kind of faux-deep reason. "We don't need to pine after boys we just need to accept ourselves" But I don't think that actually works at all. The entire reason the book is loved by young gay guys is because it IS wish fulfillment. It IS a Disneyesque fantasy letting young gay teens escape. I grew up in a homophobic hs. It sucked. And Freakshow was a book that allowed me to pretend something else could have happened. Why do you want your fantasy to be realistic? That's defeating the point. I hope that Ian Nelson had nothing to do with the stupid decisions that were made-- I think I like him as an actor and it would be a shame if he were the reason the script was so off.
January 27, 2018
Loved it! Hope this movie gets a major theatrical release.
½ January 27, 2018
Foi divertido, mas ficou muito tempo mostrando as transformações do protagonista e não construindo personagens mais reais. Foi legal ver que somente existe uma amizade entre Mark e Billy no final.
January 25, 2018
Thoughtful, if a bit uneven, story about the pain of being different and how to find acceptance within one's self and with others.
January 24, 2018
one of my fav movies of all times
½ January 23, 2018
This timely story featuring an incredibly appealing cast top to bottom should be required viewing in high school classrooms. Heartbreaking yet funny and ultimately FABULOUS!
January 16, 2018
What an aweaome movie!! Performances were outstanding, just amazing!
January 16, 2018
I found this movie (despite one scene) a feel good movie about a boy who won't listen to people telling him to be something he is not. He lets his freak flag fly and brilliantly!. A++++
½ January 14, 2018
half a star for Bette, sorry but the movie was terrible
January 13, 2018
This was a great movie!! So many movie are a waste of time but this one was awesome!!