Freaky Deaky - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Freaky Deaky Reviews

July 19, 2015
directed by the gr8 walter Matthau's son Charles
November 13, 2014
Ok movie. Throughout the movie, the script is smart and funny at moments, but the film itself isn't very well-made. It's got some interesting production values and style, as well as a few good performances from Slater, Glover, and White.
Harlequin68
½ November 6, 2014
After being transferred to sex crimes from the bomb squad, Sergeant Chris Mankowski(Bill Burke) takes the complaint of Greta(Sabina Gadecki) who accuses millionaire Woody Ricks(Crispin Glover) of rape. In trying to pursue the complaint against Ricks, Chris not only has to go through Donnell(Michael Jai White), bodyguard to Ricks and his brother Mark(Andy Dick), but also gets suspended under the pretense that he is no longer living within the city limits. At the same time, Skip(Christian Slater) and Robin(Breanne Racano) are also interested in the Ricks brothers, but mostly just for their fortune.

The popular line of thought concerning adaptations of Elmore Leonard stories is how often they go wrong(including two vastly overrated movies in the 90's), due to not understanding their sense of humor. On the contrary, even though it is not perfect, "Freaky Deaky" nails the darkly comic tone of its story of various and sundry characters on the make, some former radicals, in 1974 Detroit.(Which might sound odd considering it is at least partially centered around a sexual assault but it still works.) With just the right amount of world weary charm, Billy Burke is terrific in the lead, with Michael Jai White also doing very well in support. And as always with Crispin Glover, Christian Slater and Andy Dick, your mileage will vary.
½ March 5, 2014
For a bizarre film, it was good. Independent looking, yet with crazy commercial cliches, it is a movie you can watch but may be not something you would be proud of having seen. Easily avoidable, this movie was not so much of a waste of time but a waste of a movie.
½ March 5, 2014
February 28, 2014
Amateurish and spot off on almost everything...
February 8, 2014
I enjoyed this film.
½ January 12, 2014
Crispin Glover is my most favorite of character actors, because he is so good at what he does, playing bizarre characters so convincingly, so entertainingly. But even his talent wasn't enough to save this predictable, uninspiring, men to old for their girlfriends mentally of a movie. I guess I don't fit into the "Written for 13 year old boys" genre. I was excited when the move started thinking it would bring us back to the creativity of 70'esk cop shows, the Baretta's, Columbo's, Skarsky & Hutch, etc, which intrigued us week to week until they did their time in history, and gracefully bowed out. Freaky Deaky is a deceptive use of a movie title to try and draw you into a movie so un-moving and boring that you wish you could DVR the Gong Show. At least if the writing is shoddy attempt to make it funny, but most people don't find it amusing to hear a woman who was sexually assaulted say "In the condition I was in I don't even know if he was sticking his weenie in me" as funny when referring to being raped. If you have about 2 hours of your life to totally waste, or you are having LSD flashbacks, then this movie is for you. Other than that, there has to be something better you can do.
January 6, 2014
A colourful, tacky and rubbishy film with rather dreadful acting only made enjoyable by the beautiful Breanne Racano
December 20, 2013
Poorly directed and derivative of other (much better) EL adaptations.
½ November 17, 2013
ya It was kind of a boring movie I didn't find it funny at all
November 14, 2013
It Was Ok. Nothing Special Really.
½ August 2, 2013
Well, they tried. A good effort, but it meanders here and there and the tonal changes sometimes come like a newbie 18 wheeler driver trying to shift and grinding gears instead. But...I still enjoyed it. It also made me appreciate "Get Shorty" all that much more.
½ July 4, 2013
Totally ruined one of my favorite books.
½ June 25, 2013
Took a great novel by Leonard and turned it into a average movie
366weirdmovies
½ June 20, 2013
A romance novel writer and a stunt man specializing in explosives develop a plan to extort millions from a perpetually stoned playboy. It sounded like a solid plan---oddball characters played by Crispin Glover and Christian Slater double-crossing each other in an adaptation of a Leonard Elmore novel---but the director bungled the the caper badly with unbelievable characterizations and jokes that fall flat.
½ May 27, 2013
I wanted more out of Freaky Deaky but it didn't quite deliver. If the entire movie was as interesting as the last third it would have been great. I had hoped for more Get Shorty/Be Cool but it came up short and not cool.
½ May 23, 2013
Not really recommendable at all
May 21, 2013