Free to Be You and Me - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Free to Be You and Me Reviews

January 2, 2014
A very important keystone of the establishment of my personal values as a youngster, Free To Be... You and Me still resonates for me today. Sesame Street introduced me to multiculturalism, Muppet Babies demonstrated the power of imagination, Schoolhouse Rock still blows me away in terms of music's strength as a learning tool, and Free To Be... You and Me set me very early on my path to my current world view, especially with regards to gender roles and traditional societal expectations largely consisting of bullshit. Highlights include the kind-of-dark Shel Silverstein-penned "Ladies First", "William's Doll" performed by Alan Alda, "It's All Right To Cry" performed by football star Rosy Grier (with a truly badass wah-wah guitar solo), and the hilarious and memorable newborn puppet sketches featuring Mel Brooks and "Free To Be..." mastermind Marlo Thomas. I dig the theme song by The New Seekers and enjoy the (somewhat cheesily) animated telling of the story of Atalanta. Awkward Jackson lifestyle foreshadowing aside, Michael Jackson's and Roberta Flack's "When I Grow Up" is a charming, catchy tune. It stands today as an ode to taking pride in one's individuality and identity, not bowing to society's expectations about gender and class, tolerating those who are different, and enlightening those who perpetuate bigotry, sexism, and other forms of insularity. I will always hold it in high esteem.
½ August 9, 2012
After seeing the cast I had to give this a chance. It seemed very pc in breaking down racial barriers, promoting women's rights and teaching children that crying is ok. So it goes well with school house rock, but not nearly as memorable.
½ January 12, 2011
Love it. First movie Deron ever laughed at. Great songs!
October 20, 2009
what does mj do in it xx
August 19, 2009
I always was a Michael Jackson psycho!!
April 26, 2009
never heard of it before but MJ is in there so i'm gonna see it
May 28, 2008
This brings back memories.
April 2, 2008
Marlo Thomas is a genius. Mel Brooks voicing a baby, Michael Jackson dreaming about when he grows up and Harry Belefonte as a hot dog vendor. I remember watching this every other day when I was little. I always watched "Sister and Brothers" twice. "Doo doo do-do dooooooo."
December 15, 2007
I have this record. I listened to it all the time as a child.
December 5, 2007
maybe one of the best things ever; i first saw this in preschool. when i met marlo thomas i told her about the first time i saw it; she was impressed with my school for showing it. yeah madison, wi!
½ November 23, 2007
Every child should be raised on these values, and morals. Forget "Dora", and "Franklin". This is GOOD FOOD.

Although watching a young Michael Jackson singing about "not having to change at all" is real funny.
October 31, 2007
Cheesy? Yes. Campy? Yes. But it stands the test of time. This film was wonderful when I was a child and watching it with my little cousins made me appreciate it in a new way all over again.
June 21, 2007
this movie was the basis of my childhood!
June 20, 2007
I remember reading the book on this. However I love this more cause it has some my favorite actors. Like Alan Alda.
June 12, 2007
best movie ever, if you havent seen it your a dufus
June 12, 2007
If anyone's curious to see how Rolf Straubhaar was raised, look no further than this and a few seasons of Sesame Street. My folks are awesome.
June 8, 2007
This movie built a new generation of free thinkers. A little old, but the message is still relevent.
April 30, 2007
Great message-timeless!
April 24, 2007
I never heard of it before till this day actually.
½ January 2, 2007
Socialist singing in the playground, and tales of children getting eaten for cutting in line - who doesn't want to see that?