Free Samples - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Free Samples Reviews

December 27, 2015
Funny and quirky and rough in spots, just like an indie movie should be.
½ August 5, 2015
After leaving law school, Jillian(Jess Weixler) spends most of her time hanging out with her friends back in her hometown. Waking up one morning after a night of drinking and socializing, she finds an empty cowboy hat in the bed next to her. Making matters even worse is her friend Nancy(Halley Feiffer) drafting her to hand out free samples from her ice cream truck all day.

"Free Samples" does itself no favors by starting with the very disturbing sight of Jesse Eisenberg wearing a cowboy hat. Even if it was not slapdash and episodic, the movie would have had a hard time recovering from that. Plus, the movie is forced in being judgmental in showing what Jillian's life would be like if she does not get her life back together, instead of being relaxed in respecting a character's need for a break. On the plus side, there is a very neat turn from Tippi Hedren but that comes too little, too late.
July 26, 2015
A very dry little film about a young woman who's deeply in need of redemption, and finds it, sort of. It's not a perfect movie by any means, but I laughed quite a lot while watching it, and how anyone can call it "an ugly bit of work" (remind me never to have drinks with this David Ehrlich guy) is beyond me.
½ November 15, 2014
How many times can you say BORING? This is very close to sickening boring.
June 14, 2014
Funny and adorable at the same time.
May 11, 2014
Jillian is a mess of a human being and you just can't look away as she engages with the various kooky people in the community. This was a slow build, but eventually you find yourself wrapped up in this story and when it ends you want more. Great cast, good story, perfect ending.
January 19, 2014
Cute movie. Getting second chances when things don't go the way we have planned.
½ January 17, 2014
A directionless character in a mostly directionless film supported by good actors and some funny lines
January 14, 2014
Rather ho-hum except when Jess Eisenburg is on the screen.
½ January 7, 2014
A film about a day that changed the life of a girl. It held my attention, and I was left wanting to know more about the characters. It was charming.
½ December 31, 2013
lightweight, but charming. I liked it.
½ December 12, 2013
Oddly, I seem to be in line with the critics on this one.
It's the kind of movie that you really have no reason to see, as it will do nothing whatsoever to enhance your life, expand your mind, or even amuse you.
I would honestly only bother if you are down to watching this or staring at a wall.

It may seem a harsh critique but the script just doesn't fly. Jess Weixler, cast in the main role, is so deadpan she is the very embodiment of boredom. I know that just watching her made me yawn on more than one occasion. She is now typecast in my mind as extremely dull, so she will have to do some fairly amazing acting in future to change my opinion.

It's pretty sad when Jesse Eisenberg (whom I just don't find to be heartthrob material, no matter how much people harp on about "the anti hunk"), is the bright spot in a film. That bright spot, however, is more of a dull spark.

Some films are just a waste of time.
November 28, 2013
Oy, another indie dramedy makes its way past my gaze... Thank goodness "Teeth's" Jess Weixler is insanely engaging, because this is yet another indie film that really doesn't have any new insight or anything worthwhile to say. I will never understand for all the work that has to go into making a movie, why such talented people invest it in something so forgettable. I didn't laugh once, pretty sure I never felt anything other than apathy. The script is soulless; the directing competent, but not noteworthy. The only thing about this film is Weixler who has to carry the whole film. Her character... is talked about often enough to beat the audience over the head what a horrible person she is... But, where is it? She's sarcastic and doing a favor that really has no consequences. She's referred to as a borderline alcoholic, but in all her episodes in the truck, never yearns for a drink. Perhaps that's the message that Jillian is not as bad as she thinks she is... That means what to anyone else? The character and script are not there to support the choices Weixler has made about the character she's playing. That's disappointing as all 80 minutes of this film could serve as a nice acting reel for her alone. Sadly, this credit will not serve anyone else the same benefit.
½ November 12, 2013
This is without a doubt one of the worst movies I have ever seen. I stopped after 20 minutes because it just failed to get going on any level. The plot is pretty much non-existent, the jokes are lame, and the main character is unlikable. A little bit more on the scenario: it's a girl filling in for her friend's ice cream stand. That's it. She talks to people and some order ice cream. No narrative whatsoever. It's one of those pseudo-quirky flicks that thinks it's way deeper than it actually is (one of my least favorite kinds of movies). Seriously, this is a train wreck and I hope it does well at the Razzies.
September 16, 2013
Hungover college drop out Jillian (Jess Weixler) is roped into handing out ice cream samples for a day by a friend in need; a day that turns out to be an eventful one as it sees Jillian's sordid relationship with Danny (Keir O'Donnell) ruined, at the same time as a new romance blossoms with intellectual bar pick-up Tex (Jesse Eisenberg, good but typecast). That 99% of the film takes place around an ice cream trucked parked in a parking lot gives this the feel of a theater play, one that relies completely on Weixler's performance. Luckily, she does provide a great performance, managing to be charming even while being rude to oddball customers and a jerk to visiting friends.
September 8, 2013
This is one of those indie type films I'm actually glad I watched. It's very quirky, and had those moments that made you stop and think. When it started, I had my doubts, but Jesse Eisenberg helped pull me into the story. It's also got some 'laugh out Ioud' moments and some 'laugh out loud about a minute later' moments when you actually process the hilarity of some of the dialogue. I love the emergence of Jason Ritter, I think he's more talented than people give him credit for. I enjoyed seeing Jesse Eisenberg in a different type role and seeing Tippi Hedren in it was pretty cool too. Gammill and Beggarly make a good team, not sure if they're working on other stuff together, but there's definitely a market for these types of movies.
½ August 9, 2013
Fun, sparky and bright indie comedy with interesting characters and fun dialogue. A debut feature too, makes it even more impressive. Plus, TippI Hedren for God's sake. :)
½ August 4, 2013
Stumbled on it by accident. Not too shabby, but a bit disjointed, and quite a sudden ending, but reasonable, and it does open your eyes.
½ July 31, 2013
Smart low-budget movie that is part drama and part simmering comedy, the later enacted through a series of quirky or manufactured characters there to annoy the protagonist who's having a bad day anyway.
July 29, 2013
like the wit of the movie. It 's a young transitional woman having a really tough day facing reality, but then how can it turn out bad if Jesse Eisenberg has and interest in her?