Freebird - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Freebird Reviews

February 23, 2016
Watchable mild amusing film. Not one i'd want to see again
September 29, 2013
Only the British can make a movie about drugs where the cast look as if they have never been off them! English humor and beautiful welsh rolling hills make this film an oddball that will entertain. Folk music and crazy acting heighten your mind to a new plain. Nibbles: Roast beef dinner for this one shared with some of your best mates.
January 7, 2013
Freebird is pretty much a British equivalent of Walt Becker's Wild Hogs plus drugs! As if not only because it is just as bad as what the critics' consensus has already gauged for such an American comedy which came out a year earlier is enough, but worst, here is a film virtually manifested with the gross implications of getting high from its consumption of marijuana overdose. Akin to the trio's portrayal as nothing more than a bunch of dense bikers in this psychedelia, it too apparently even tries so hard by desiring viewers i.e. you to join these characters and demonstrating to you on how, like the name suggests, to be "free as a bird" through smoking and collecting more weed or, in their own slang, "grass", instead of being decently entertaining and authentically funny as it should have been. Not a very great Welsh trip to watch it for me and I loathe drugs!

My simple dynamics of assessment: Three psychotic main characters = three stars gone.

My Rating: 2/5 stars; Grade: C; Gesture: One Thumb Down; Status: Below Average (Rotten); Emoticon: :-/.
March 16, 2010
The brilliant thing about Withnail & I is that it captures that not long left college and life could go either way moment along with all its other finery. There are no ducks flying to Moscow here, but there is a dwarf lurking in a tree. Freebird is something for those who probably never considered higher education and just went straight to work aged 15/16. I know some of the broad sheets stuck the knife into this film when it came out in Cinemas but i saw it at a packed house in Hailsham and everybody seemed to really enjoy it. I grew up in the forest of Dean and this took me straight back to my mushrooming and dope days (had some great mates - hate to think what they're all up to now - probably running the local council). I've watched it a couple of times on DVD and already i see the film as an old mate that will stay forever as part of my collection (how can i like this film and the Dambusters - doesn't seem right somehow) I certainly edge towards the second half of this film and i think the social interacting scenes with the locals are brilliantly done. I like the mix of the three lead characters and there really is some lovely writing in here along with some very quotable lines and dare i say a good smattering of integrity. I have tried to obtain the soundtrack, but it has not been released (shame, as it's a corker). Someone told me it was originally a stage play, not quite sure how that worked but i'm sure it was fun. I liked the little Shakespearian touches/references that seem to crop up throughout the film (also spotted the Dylan Thomas ref as well) and like all little gems, there will always be little things to discover like the final scene giving a nod to Easyrider as they start they're next journey. All in all a genuinely unpretentious piece of film making (love it!)
½ January 3, 2010
Nice little dark comedy
½ November 27, 2009
great feel good film with fantastic soundtrack
October 31, 2009
weed, mushrooms, speed, more weed, bikes, little more weed, some booz and more weed
September 5, 2009
the film is amazinly funny
July 23, 2009
best brit film seen in time,plus all filmed in Hay on wye,great village great pubs,plus cider bar in old ladies home.Used to go there with youth.Well trippy movie..
½ May 2, 2009
beatufully fucking mad, haha .
great movie
February 19, 2009
The best biker film ever!
½ December 1, 2008
Bikes, bikers, weed, mushrooms, amphibious bartenders, the God of Hell Fire!, the Welsh countryside, dry British humour. Damn. Can't ask for much more than that in a bike flick.
½ November 4, 2008
only heard about this movie recently.dunno how i hadn't known of it before.pleasantly surprised.
October 30, 2008
some bikr londoners head to wales to get some local weed, and encounter various bikers, while getting a little high, the british wild hogs, without a embaressing john travolta comedy performance, but also missing a ray liotta bad guy, but the film is well directed, with some nice touches, and nice to see phil daniels doing something
September 20, 2008
Best comedy i've seen in a long...long time! It's a must...whatch it!
½ September 13, 2008
Who knew there were bikers in England? Let alone Welsh speaking bikers. Best scenes capturing the hilarity and abject terror of hallucinogenic drugs since Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.
September 2, 2008
This film had me laughing - not just a biker movie but a real British comedy.

Oh, and the 'Zulu' bit at the end when the Hells Angels are silhouetted on top of the hill. A magic moment.
August 24, 2008
quite funny. all about gettiing high. some good cast.
August 22, 2008
best film ive seen in years
August 11, 2008
This is so so funny, briliant, highly recomend