Freestyle - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Freestyle Reviews

½ January 15, 2012
I LOVE this movie! The essence of hip-hop. It made ME want to freestyle each time I watched it. The historic overview provides a great intro to hip hop culture for neophytes AND those more familiar. Some of these relatively unknown underground freestylers are definitely dope! They speak off the top of the dome yet are worth hearing again!
½ March 16, 2011
This documentary is good but it doesn't have enough rappers in it as well as info about it. It's good for what it is besides this, definetly worth checking out. 9/10
January 21, 2010
One of the best HipHop documentaries I've seen.
May 30, 2009
man, i l o v e m n m he is so insparational to me,...2 years ago my dad and mom split up..and two of my cousin's died...he looked like he was in shit.. and he got out some how.sounds like it is worth alot today.. the hard stuff he went through too. you can tell in his music..
½ February 18, 2009
loved it! essential learning materials in hip hop 101
December 8, 2008
Excellent documentary. Very successfully gets across the art and spirituality at the heart of improvised hip-hop. Also provides great context, with comments from proto-rappers the Last Poets and brief footage of hip-hop pioneer Kool Herc, ‚??freestying‚?? African-American preachers, and free-jazz legend John Coltrane. This doc not only seamlessly traces the stronger roots of hip-hop, but it offers some good battle footage, too. Highly recommended to fans -- but particularly to those two or three people out there who still refuse to see rapping and DJing as art forms.
½ November 9, 2008
Really well done documentary with sick footage. Extremely compelling and impressive.
½ October 31, 2008
You should call this "Wildstyle" of freestyle!
August 14, 2008
This is so amazing. One of the best documentaries in history, let alone hip-hop. This doc just proves how shitty current rappers are. The rhymes on this DVD are razor sharp. This is a must see for any person who claims to love hip-hop.
July 28, 2008
dang it lokks like anything to do wit rappin emeinem n it
July 11, 2008
A must for any true hip hop head
June 7, 2008
This looks DOPE! Im going to add it to my queue right now.
June 1, 2008
supernatural. is. the. phenom.
May 25, 2008
As musical documentaries go, this was a really good march down the path of rap lyricists and their evolution. Renewed respect for Mos Def!!
May 7, 2008
It was ok, but it would of been nothing without Tupac and Eminem!!!
April 20, 2008
looks realy good 2pac eminem muhammed ali hell no this movie looks bad as hell
April 8, 2008
Some pretty awesome freestyles in there. Mos Def has a great one. Recommended.
April 2, 2008
Resurrects the true spirit of hiphop.
½ March 27, 2008
Music documentaries tend to be rather stale, but I thought this one managed to keep its focus on the art rather than the business and individual people. Well worth the watch. Especially the outdoor/street footage. I at least have started to listen to and appreciate hip hop rhymes in a new way after watching this documentary.