French Kiss - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

French Kiss Reviews

October 24, 2016
One of the very best rom coms out there, Kevin Kline is superb
½ June 13, 2016
Woman travels to France to reconcile with her boyfriend only to fall head over heels in love with a local jewel thief.
February 24, 2016
One of my favorite romantic comedies. Just fun.
½ September 4, 2015
Love love love this movie...so cute, she wins at the end...he needs her and she needs him, plus all the beauty of Franch alone is worth it. And Kevin Klein's french is very good and the french accents are tre magnifeque(sp)
August 20, 2015
I loved this movie. One of my favorites. Smart, great acting and funny.
July 10, 2015
Sopivaa hömppää sateiselle lomapäivälle... ;) (suom. Ranskalainen suudelma)
May 25, 2015
Oh how I love this film! I've probably watched it 20 times! I can't get it on Amazon digital yet, but when it is available I'll have. It is on most everyone's list of must have mush flicks!
May 17, 2015
Wines in Paris, kisses along the way in the train, some laughs, what else do one's need to lose the reality in - at least - for a while? :)
½ April 24, 2015
There is no real romance nor is there much comedy,so what now?
March 31, 2015
French Kiss is one of the most genuine films I've seen and it really captures what is magical about love. It is more complex than just a simple opposites-attract love story, because there's a lot more going on behind this story. I love how they sell it as if you are watching one love story and eventually you realize that's not true love, we just have to wait for our main character to figure this out as well. Meg Ryan is absolutely perfect in this film, because the story allows her to utilize all her best acting talents. There are few actresses who could pull off the amount of whining and complaining that she does in this film without becoming obnoxious and annoying but Meg Ryan somehow does it. She is beautiful and charming even in her character's weakest moments. On the other side of the love story, I must ask, is Kevin Kline actually French? I just can't believe how perfectly he sells that personality and the language/accent. I'm sure to a native of France he would sound absolutely unconvincing, but to my ear it's perfection. I love the character of Luc, because he is a strange combination of a thief and an idealist. It's like having a scoundrel (like Han Solo) in a romantic comedy. Finally I should mention how perfect Timothy Hutton is as the cad boyfriend who sparks this entire story. He plays clueless and confused without becoming unrealistic, which is actually not that easy.

My favorite part of French Kiss is the well-crafted story. It flows so nicely, and carries the characters very logically from one scene to the next. It doesn't feel as contrived as most rom-coms tend to be. It has some good sharp dialogue, and witty one-liners. I also appreciate that it doesn't necessarily fall into the Hollywood cliches about love, instead it takes a more genuine look at what love is about and how you can spot when it is real. I like that Luc advises Kate not to go chasing after her man like a lost puppy, because he's giving her real-life good advice instead of the nonsense you'll often see in movies. The story builds brilliantly and by the end I am completely sold on the fact that the 2 main characters are totally in love. They even set up a few key plot points that come into play later which are so subtle you'd never realize they were going to be addressed again. I'm not sure why French Kiss wasn't one of the most popular romantic comedies of the 90s, but it is definitely one of my favorites. In fact I think it is one of my favorite films of all time. It's not big and flashy, it didn't win any awards or anything, but it makes me feel good every time I watch and that's not so easy to find in films nowadays.
½ January 20, 2015
Cuando todavìa Meg Ryan nos tenìa encantados, comedia ligera dirigida por el a veces interesante Lawrence Kasdan.
December 21, 2014
I adore this movie so much is an all time favorite i love Meg Ryan shes amazing she looks stunning the story is cool the places they go are breath taking and the chemistry between she and Kevin is so good wish they made another one haha
½ December 15, 2014
rom com...meg ryan my fav.
November 3, 2014
The story of Kate (Meg Ryan) after being jilted by Charlie (Timothy Hutton), trying to get back at him in Cannes (where he's gone with his new girlfriend), with the help of a thief, Luc (Kevin Kline). Charlie dumps Kate long distance, from Paris, she overcomes her fear of flying for the seven hour flight from Toronto to Paris to "win him back," and just happens to sit next to Luc. Kate is used as a mule by Luc to get stolen jewelry and a grapevine clipping past customs, which he wants to sell to start his own winery. Luc teaches Kate how to play it cool to get Charlie back. But, Kate and Luc seem to have an "eye"" for one another. Who wouldn't with Meg Ryan. An interesting hour and fifty minutes as Charlie, Kate, Luc and Juliet (the new girlfriend) try to figure out who wants who. Sustained comedy lacking, and the love story predictable, but OK for viewing.
September 5, 2014
I was hoping for so much more from this movie! Meg Ryan + France are two of my favorite things! But I didn't feel the chemistry between the leads and the whole movie just felt kind of blah. Why Ryan's character would chase after her bland cheating fiance is beyond me.
½ August 25, 2014
Delivering plenty of laughs, Meg Ryan and Kevin Kline create funny chemistry in this 1995 romantic comedy with a pair of solid performances.
August 16, 2014
DIVERTIDA Y ROMANTICA MUY AGRADABLE
½ July 23, 2014
Not well thought of upon it's initial release the film is really kind of sweet and charming. Kline is a hoot and this could very well be the last time Ryan was not insufferable. Add in the beautiful scenery and terrific soundtrack and you could definitely find worse ways to spend a couple of hours.
July 21, 2014
It's nice to see Meg Ryan prior to too much plastic surgery, and Kevin Kline is great in everything he does. But the romantic comedy doesn't really have either, and is just boring. These two have better movies you can watch.
½ May 8, 2014
Pretty good movie. Pretty funny, somewhat sweet, great performances from Kline and Ryan.