Fresh - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fresh Reviews

October 29, 2016
WOW! This film sucker-punched me. Very intelligent with some depth and a great ending wraps it all up really well. The teenage protagonist here does not survive the harsh inner city, but "conquers" it by being incredibly strategic and employing lessons that his distant father teaches him in chess. Probably not very realistic, but instead it adds a kind of mythic quality to the story. The young hero here goes through his journey and rights a number of wrongs getting some important lessons along the way.

Even personally brought back some memories as I grew up in the area and recognized places from the 90s.
October 16, 2016
Bad main description of the movie to begin with. This movie brings the reality of living in the projects to our homes. Although fiction it characterizes the issues that occur when living in the projects. What stood out to me is how due to fresh being 12 he was very intellectual and he understood what was expected of a twelve year old and how he could use the stereotype of 12 year olds being simple and only worrying about girls and candy. I liked how fresh didn't shed a tear when the girl died or his best friend instead using that pain as a fire to ignite his plan to get him and his sister out being patient even when seeing his sister being provided drugs and used by men, and only allowing himself to be 12 after his plan has unfolded. I also find it interesting how a large amount of the reviewers use film terminology excessively knowing that the majority of readers are not formally educated in film, but if it sounds smart we don't dare disagree for we want to be attached to link of what we perceive as intelligence but in reality is simply a facade to someone with a need to be perceived as intelligent by people they will never meet. Knowing that someone will be impressed gives them a reassurance that all that time in film classes didn't go to waste
June 10, 2016
Fresh is a phenomenal film, but a few flaws in the story make it a bit hard to follow. It does a great job at describing the great many problems surrounding urban life for some, but went too far in one point when it didn't have to. The acting was done well and the writing was very believable. The movie does well on establishing characters, but takes its time to establish any main conflict until near the middle of the film. It just seemed to work to hard to make a point at certain points in the movie when the ending could really show that for them. The ending was was the best part of the film and did well to hit home the message of the film that may have been overdone earlier in the movie.
½ December 20, 2015
This movie..... No words I found it on Netflix by mistake. Watch it now!
April 19, 2015
This is a very pleasant surprise.The story just sucks you in and you don't want to be let go.
½ March 31, 2015
This has been one my Netflix account since I got "it"!
½ December 20, 2014
As a whole, I really liked this film. It is directed very well by Boaz Yakin and at multiple different times, it really leaves you awe struck, in large part due to how intense and raw this film can be. Truly powerful, this one is also blessed with great performances from Shawn Nelson and Giancarlo Esposito, as well as a strong performance in a small role from Samuel L. Jackson. This is one of those type of films that really sucks you into its world and you really feel like you are there with the characters. I also really liked how this one jumped between drama and thriller at times and it did so very effectively. Overall, a strong film, Fresh is certainly not a great film, but it is impossible to say it is not a good one.
½ December 17, 2014
A plot that'll have you twisting and turning in your seat with anticipation and shock. a brilliant ending to such a wild ride through the projects is sure to leave you wanting more. just amazing.
August 7, 2014
Good 90'z movie espically if u from the drug n hustle life
July 23, 2014
It's a little bit silly and unrealistic but it's good fun
April 2, 2014
This movie is great because of the lack of rap music! Instead we have a score from a former member of The Police in Stewart Copeland. Basically, it is set up like Akira Kurosawa's "Yojimbo," or Sergio Leone's "A Fistful of Dollars," wherein, our hero, Fresh (Sean Nelson) is a full time drug dealer as well as a full time student. The only time he sees his father is (Samuel L. Jackson) in the park, where his chess lessons double as a metaphor for life. Fresh basically uses his father's advice so he can get his family back together again. Walter Hill's "Last Man Sanding" basically did the same thing with guns in lieu of swords. Ricky Miller 2-14-14
½ February 24, 2014
This is a film with a powerful performances from Sean Nelson as a teenager caught in the middle of some very horrific events that causes him to divise a complicated plan to get him and his sister out of their situations.
December 24, 2013
intelligent, gritty, violent and heartbreaking filed with great performances from samuel l jackson, giancarlo esposito, n bushe wright and newcomer sean nelson.
November 29, 2013
1972's The Godfather Is My Fourth Favorite Film.
October 7, 2013
A bright young African-American boy attempts to survive life in the city by acting as an errand boy for a drug dealer in this thoughtful, sharply plotted drama. Fresh, the young man must use his delivery jobs to support himself and his heroin addict sister, receiving nothing from his distant, alcoholic father but the occasional chess games at the park. His intelligence and quiet determination serve him well, as he wins the trust of his employer and settles into an unpleasant but survivable routine. Even this small comfort disappears, however, when Fresh accidentally witnesses the killing of a classmate and becomes a potential target himself. Forced into an impossible situation, he puts his experience and strategic ability to good use, developing a tricky plan to protect his own life and defeat the killers. First-time director Boaz Yakin emphasizes restraint and realism, presenting potentially sensationalistic material with a minimum of violence and flash. Instead, attention is placed on the strong, layered performances, particularly Sean Nelson as Fresh and Samuel L. Jackson as his embittered father
blkbomb
September 21, 2013
Corky: Only reason you ain't the man is you still too goddamn little, but, when you get bigger, you gonna be the man.

"Risking it all, he invents new rules... to beat the odds in a deadly game of survival."

Fresh is a solid, ghetto drama about a young 12 year old boy who runs drugs to support himself, but loses out on any sort of a real childhood in the process. The movie isn't perfect, with moments of shaky writing and shakier acting by some, but for the most part it's well acted and well written. It's nothing necessarily new, with a ghetto crime backdrop, but the character of Fresh is a fresh and well rounded enough character to make us feel like we're watching this type of movie for the first time.

Fresh has a lot of problems, especially considering he is only eight years old. His mothers gone and we can only assume dead. His father is an alcoholic, who he only sees in the park to play chess. His sister has left his aunts house and is a dope fiend who shacks up with whatever dealer she can. He runs drugs for local dealers to make money so that one day he can escape the ghetto, but the question is will he be able to escape the violence of the job he does in time?

Sean Nelson really is brilliant as Fresh. He exudes a maturity and adulthood presence into a character that is years beyond his age. The rest of the cast is nothing too special, but they aren't too bad, for the most part, either. Samuel L. Jackson is easily the biggest name in this and he has a small, but nonetheless important role as Fresh's absent and alcoholic father.

Fresh could just be considered another urban drama about the life of the street, but it does manage to be better than that. It's a movie that's well worth a look and may possibly be one of the better movies of this type out there. If you're a fan of the genre, it's definitely a can't miss film.
August 18, 2013
gotta change that soundtrack
½ August 8, 2013
A very Powerful movie. Fresh, play by Sean Nelson really carry the Movie. Gritty drama follows young boy exposed to violence, drugs and was able to set the Drug Deals up against each Other, a Powerful.A Great movie.
April 7, 2013
Amazing, griping film. Powerfull acting by young Sean Nelson, a very true but yet sad story about a young boy trying to get himself together & out of hard times with atleast 100 or somthing dollars hidden in a old beat-up can @ a train track. Young "Fresh" who got the nickname being young + slick got the name, lives in a foster care while his sister is a drugy stripper, and he hangs out playing chess with his dad (Samuel). What a great cast with great acting that moves u while ur watching or jus finishd it.
March 23, 2013
old movie but it was pretty good, little boy is a smart kid