Fresh Horses - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fresh Horses Reviews

September 9, 2016
I watched this for the dream duo of Molly Ringwald and Andrew McCarthy, but their coupling here quickly falls apart in a work far less engaging and enchanting than Hughes' masterpiece Pretty in Pink. Neither my love for Andrew McCarthy's adorably perturbed face nor my major girl crush on Molly (miscast here) could save this sad, dreary, and sloppy mess of a film.
November 11, 2012
quel désapointement...
April 20, 2012
I saw this picture in the theater when I was in high school with my choir friends. It was a convoluted and dull character study.
½ April 5, 2012
Probably one of the worst movies ever made. I watched it once and that was sufficient. The only thing that could have saved this movie would have been a flying saucer landing in a scene halfway through and kidnapping the entire cast.
½ April 19, 2011
At the time, it might have seemed like a good idea to re-pair Ringwald and McCarthy for another 80's romantic drama. It was not. The film is worsened by David Foster's cheesy score. Molly Hagen does give a nice performance in a small role.
March 12, 2011
Teen stars take on a more serious subject and characters. This movie is good, the actors do a good job, and the movie is interesting. I liked it.
½ December 30, 2010
Simply the worst movie I have ever seen in my life.
August 9, 2010
It's too serious and lacks elegance in its story telling. That said, I really the last half hour (though not the end scene) and not only because Mortensen was already then a great actor. But over all the movie feels heavy, though it has its moments.
½ May 11, 2010
Una especie de secuela a "Pretty In Pink", mucho mas seria que la anterior y que busca explotar la quimica entre Molly Ringwald y Andrew McCarthy. Sin John Cryer, la ecuacion queda incompleta y la cosa no funciona mucho.
May 8, 2010
Interesting enough I actually saw this movie. It served the one purpose of signaling the end of the Brat-Pack's run of 1980s teen-young yuppie movies, though Fresh Horses wasn't directed by John Hughes. Maybe it should have been because this was just an absurd movie. Took itself way too seriously and tried to make the Brat Packers look like they've all grown up and translate well into modern day leading men and ladies. Um, I don't think so. All this movie did was seal the career casket for Ringwald, McCarthy & Co.
½ April 7, 2010
it was sort of wierd and put together oddly...
March 14, 2010
I love Andrew McCarthy and a lot of 80s flicks but this one was just weird...
March 14, 2010
An 80s flick with lots of 80s peeps in it. Nice performance by Molly Ringwald and Andrew McCarthy as the rich boy/poor girl couple, and Ben Stiller as his best friend. What was surprising here was Viggo Mortensen as the very bad guy. There was nothing fresh about the story - it's been told many times, and as 80 films go this would not be at the top 10, but over all a fair little film.
February 23, 2010
yuk....thats all i have to say. They should have never made it but hey it has some amazing actors in it.
November 30, 2009
Everything I have read concerning Fresh Horses has been negative. I can't figure out why. Granted, it doesn't have the staying power or cultural influence that The Breakfast Club has, but I think Fresh Horses is being lined up against some very strong competition.

Now, being born in the late 80's, I have no way of knowing the acclaim or reception that the films from the Brat Pack enjoyed. What I do know is that this movie is better than most of the junk coming out today.

As a college student, I enjoyed the campus setting -- and I believe that most of the characters are well acted. I think Molly Ringwald and Ben Stiller stood out the most. I will acquiesce and admit that Andrew McCarthy was less than stellar, but his acting in no way ruined the movie.

Some of the reviews commented on the length of the movie -- and maybe it is a tad bit too long, but it felt like a sprint to me, considering the last movie I watched was 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Overall, I would give it between a 7 and 8 out of 10. I think a lot of my friends at school will enjoy this lesser-known film from the Brat Pack!
½ July 3, 2009
One of the worst movies ever made. A movie so bad that I broke up with the girl I went with who wanted to see it, she kept sinking lower and lower into her seat as I would look over at her during the movie.

The story is so stupid it defies explaining or trying to figure out how someone could come up with a story board to sell this movie to a studio. I would suspect that whomever fell for it got fired for being clueless.

Ok college kid meets girl, finds out she is underage and lives in a shack in Kentucky and really.....yea that is about it. Kings Island is a meeting place or something and the horses, well, you see them galloping in a field but that is about it.

A movie that makes you feel like you just threw-up in bed after a late nite binge and no amount of showering will make you feel better the next morning.
June 9, 2009
hahah umm. well then. very intersting indeed.
June 7, 2009
viggo mortensen and andrew mccarthy?! amazing.
May 17, 2009
This movie was totally not about horses. I am disappointed. Believe me or not, I only sat through this movie for the uncredited Greg Dulli cameo. The stars of the movie are well known enough. Andrew McCarthy plays the only character he was ever allowed to. The ernest, but conflicted, boy with good intentions. Molly Ringwald shows her limitations as the backwoods half wit manipulator. Not good performances. Neither were the support cast, but it was still fun seeing Ben Stiller and Viggo from 20 years ago. Also of note, the hottest girl in this flick, Molly Hagen, a.k.a. "Sensitivity" from the classic FOX series, "Herman's Head". But even her in a bikini couldn't save the mediocre drama. Why anyone decided that the stage play was deserving of adaptation is beyond me.