Frida - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frida Reviews

September 15, 2015
Julie Taymor's best film.

Vibrant colors, brilliant visuals, and astounding performances from Hayek, Molina, and everyone on screen.
½ August 1, 2015
When it comes to artists, most countries have a couple of them that managed to earn a place in the history of art. Spain has Salvador Dali and Picasso, Italy has most of the Renaissance artists, Netherland has Vincent Van Gogh, Norway has Edvard Munch and Mexico has Diego Rivera and Frida Kahlo.
We follow the life of a prettier version of Frida Kahlo, from her teen years to her final days.
As a Mexican I have to admit that while I don't generally like Kahlo´s work as the majority of it is monotonous self-portraits (but when she goes for surrealism she shines gorgeously), but I have always find her story fascinating and sad, so there was plenty of source material for a drama and this biopic takes advantage of most of her tragic life. "Frida" is well made biopic that offers some interesting visuals, most of the acting is extremely solid with the best being Salma Hayek in her best performance to date (although it isn't that impressive either) and always fun to watch Alfred Molina, it uses the Mexican environment wisely, Molina and Hayek had pretty good chemistry, the corridos of the soundtrack are actually quite enjoyable to my surprise, the screenplay is straightforward and narrates numerous moments of this tragic life (I am extremely glad that they didn't leave out her political agenda), and it has some actually funny segments. With all the good of the film being said, let's address the issues of this biopic. Julie Taymor´s direction is extremely unbalanced, at times it is generic and manages to subtlety mimic Kahlo´s paintings in certain shots but then it becomes pretentious and extremely heavy handed; it follows most of the "Mexican clichés" (which I already mention in my review of "The Book of Life"), the pacing is inconsistent as it starts with this rushed vibe but by the second half it slow things out, some important moments of Frida´s life are briefly explored while others are stretched needlessly, Hayek doesn't exactly looks like Kahlo (I get that they are trying to make her prettier-just because she has one eyebrow that doesn't make her as ugly- but that contradicts the whole message of the film), and I hate the fact that Spanish is the native language of most of the cast and the film is about a Mexican artist set in Mexico, so why they speak that dreadful "Spanglish"?
"Frida" is an uneven biopic that has its moments but also has its flaws. I appreciate the fact they told a lot of Kahlo´s story thus making it an educational experience, but it doesn't has a lot to offer.
June 15, 2015
Hayek's best performance with the equally steady Molina in the good bio-pick.
June 3, 2015
Frida is a beautifully entertaining ode to the beloved artist. The colors are magnificent and Salma Hayek and Alfred Molina are spectacular as the bickering but loving Frida Kahlo and Diego Rivera.
March 12, 2015
A unique look into a true story with naked Selma hyaek
February 22, 2015
Colorful and raw movie like the frida's art.
February 14, 2015
Salma Hayek is so bold and awesome!
½ February 9, 2015
It took me 14 years to watch this movie mainly because I am not a big fan of SH. Nonetheless, I have to agree this is a great production, with a great cast and wonderful music. I wonder how much more awesome it would have been in Spanish... it was hard for me as a native Spanish speaker to relate to the story in their fake thick accents speaking English... overall it think it was a good ride into the world of Mexican culture to the masses.
February 6, 2015
Can't say I enjoyed watching, but Taymor knows how to create visual art and bring out great performances. I appreciate the color palates for each atmosphere: different countries, homes, families.
½ February 6, 2015
This movie is well done. It is a bit melodramatic but it happens.
February 2, 2015
Fascinating look at the life and work of Frida Kahlo, with wonderful performances by a great cast.
½ February 2, 2015
Frida is a really great movie that really made me learn about Frida Kahlo a lot. The movie is long, but it's enough to talk about her life. The visuals are really cool to look at, and Salma Hayek is really great which I'm glad that she got nominated for an Academy Award. The characters are memorable, especially Frida, and it's really surprising that Frida is ok with her husband's affairs, and it just seem like something that some guys would want to think of their wives. It stands out from other biopic painter movies, and it's very interesting to watch. The only problem I had is that they didn't seem to know what to do to put in Frida's sexuality and when it does, it just seem to come out of nowhere and is just more of an afterthought. Overall, Frida is quite an enjoyable treat to watch for fans of Frida Kahlo.
January 7, 2015
Que película tan dramática. Nunca me a gustado ni Frida ni Diego, pero la película no está tan mala.
December 12, 2014
Often, the exploitation of the sexual themes in this film opaque the artistic and insightful composition of the rest of the movie. Even so, it is refreshing to watch a film that sports a voracious desire to shine.
October 21, 2014
its def for the art fan
August 29, 2014
Insightful take on melancholic life of Frida Kahlo. Perfectly captured the zeitgeist of Mexico as well.
August 14, 2014
Intresseväckande, välspelad historialektion. Troligen Salma Hayeks bästa rollprestation nĺgonsin.
½ August 11, 2014
mexicans playing mexicans living in mexico but speaking english?
July 6, 2014
Na den narozenin Fridy Kahlo (6.6. 1907) jsem se mrknul na tento film. Musím ?íct, e m? její ivotní p?íb?h celkem dostal. Z obraz? Fridy jsem m?l dojem, e to byla n?jaká puritánská jeptika; ono asi ne. :-) Dob?e zahráno, skv?lé masky, skv?lá hudba.