Friday the 13th Part 2 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Friday the 13th Part 2 Reviews

September 20, 2016
This was actually a surprise, I expected it to be a lot worse
½ August 26, 2016
3.5/5 - My favourite Friday the 13th film
August 7, 2016
It's practically the exact same movie as the first one (including the obvious fake ending once again). It just feels repetitive after a while and the fact that they felt that doing 10 minutes of flashbacks and recap at the beginning was needed is just sad. It's like they think that they created a masterpiece or something... also, the movie just isn't scary whatsoever. It's not really a drop in quality from the first like Halloween and other franchises since it feels the same, but the quality in the first place wasn't that high to begin with. Talk about faint praise. Hopefully Jason finally gets his mask in the next one...
August 4, 2016
It may not have the nostalgic charm of its predecessor, but FRIDAY THE 13TH: PART 2 is a perfectly fine and acceptable horror flick with fun to spare. The performances are better than the previous movie, and the scares are more efficient. Also, Steve Miner is a tremendous filmmaker with a talent for building tension. I watched this film thirty-five years after its original theatrical release, and even so I was very entertained and even scared at times.
July 30, 2016
Just the same as the first one.
July 24, 2016
A lackluster follow up that is extremely slow paced. We do get to actually see Jason in this film, but he's far from the crazed killer that we know and love today.
July 15, 2016
Another great "Friday The 13th" film. Burlap sack Jason was really chilling.
July 14, 2016
A great first appearance of the famous Camp Crystal Lake killer Jason Voorheese! This film has it's ups, and downs, but still manages to be entertaining. The only problem is it is mostly the same as the original.
July 11, 2016
The film is the same thing the first one was with a different killer. It lacks story and originality and is not nearly as fun and spooky as Friday the 13th
July 11, 2016
A lazy rehash of the first film, Jason is one movie closer to obtaining his iconic mask.
½ July 11, 2016
Hey, Jason is in this one! Listen folks, cult classics like this are always meant to be seen, you really have to enjoy cheesy horror cliches and bad acting to like the first and second Friday the 13th. This is just an overall dud.
July 9, 2016
Compared to the first film, Friday The 13th Part 2 is a very well made film, and a little bit more entertaining than the original. This film was just so well thought of and put together that I do consider it my favorite film out of the entire franchise, and that's saying a lot because their are a few other great Friday The 13th films, I just love how this one turned out. Being very simple and extremely clever in the hope of being a fun film, Friday The 13th completely succeeds at being a fun, campy, and very entertaining horror film.
½ July 9, 2016
Part 2 is basically a repeat of the first film except this time Jason is the killer. The killer in part 2 may be more intimidating, but it doesn't have the same effect as the first one, because there is really no surprise element when we first see who the killer is, Overall Part 2 is an okay sequel and isn't a bad movie.
June 18, 2016
Wasn't an awful movie as far as sequels go, but it did take awhile to get going. Don't expect the super human hockey mask Jason either. Not bad. But I have a feeling that these movies are going to get worse as I move along. ***
June 14, 2016
Anyone who tells you this a good follow up to the original is either lying or has forgotten the film. :)
½ May 13, 2016
Better than the original
May 8, 2016
I'd like to start here by discussing the Jason timeline. Friday the 13th Part 2 suggests that the final scare in the previous film was merely a hallucination, a phantom of Alice's understandably shattered psyche. The story we're now given is that Jason never drowned as a child after all. He somehow survived and retreated into the surrounding woods rather than reveal himself to anyone. There he survived into adulthood and later witnessed the death of his mother, a sight which transformed him into an irredeemable menace.

According to the official cannon Jason was born in 1946, making him eleven at the time of his presumed drowning and around thirty-two when his mother is killed at the end of the first film. When we finally see him in Part 2 he's nearing forty years-old and only now beginning to venture out into populated areas. Are we really to believe that a mongoloid child lived alone in the wilderness for over twenty years? How on earth would he be capable of fashioning tools and hunting when he couldn't even swim?

Having forgiven this logic-free plot turn I can happily report that Friday the 13th Part 2 is one of the best films in the series and improves on the original in almost every meaningful way. This is the point where the mythology of the series truly begins as the legend of Jason is born. The acting performances are significantly improved and director Steve Miner does a much better job of making the camp feel claustrophobic and isolated. In Part 2 we have the benefit of knowing who the killer is early on so there's no time wasted wondering "whodunnit?". This allows us to sit back, laugh at all the rotten dialogue, and enjoy the suspense of each impending kill.

My main criticism is the implausibility of Ginny's child psychology scene near the end. In a way it's necessary to illustrate Jason's perverse reverence for his mother but it's such an awkward and drawn out scene. The final jump scare is a stupid throwback to the original that I could do without as well. Other than those issues Part 2 is a franchise highlight reel and created a solid template that only a few other installments were wise enough to emulate.
½ May 8, 2016
The beginning of Jason's killing spree in part 2 and it's just more of the same but different teens to kill, The movie has allot of plot holes, Like did he really drown in the lake, His age makes no sense too, But I've come to my own understanding that he didn't drown in the lake as no body was recoverd and he lived in the woods for 20+ years that explains how he saw his mum die and his age, And the end of the first film where Jason comes out the lake as a boy was a dream.
April 29, 2016
An improvement on the score, but it's just the same movie as it's predecessor. Any improvement is overshadowed by the extremely long opening recap and dumb characters.
April 25, 2016
One of the better earlier films. Most people don't know, or remember that Jason didn't start with the hockey mask!