Friday the 13th Part 3 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Friday the 13th Part 3 Reviews

May 28, 2017
This films starts off with the climax of the second film, where Jason Voorhees apparently didn't die, but lives again to kill more campers at Camp Crystal Lake. This entry seems to be more competently made than prior entries, but overall the film is still pretty uninteresting and nothing but an excuse for Jason to kill a bunch of co-eds, this time in 3-D, so there are lots of straight-at-the-camera stabbings, impaling, popcorn popping, and balls being juggled that all looks pretty stupid when you watch it in 2-D. There are some attempts at suspense and scares that work better than the prior two films, but that's a pretty low bar. However, I did enjoy the fair amount of 80s nostalgia in the film, from vans with luxurious interior carpets, to velcro wallets, to the fashions and hairdos. This film also seemed to be when the series started proper, with this film being the first one where Jason wears the hockey mask (Jason wasn't the killer of the first film and he wore a gunny sack in the second film). Still, if you want 80s slasher films, even though this series solidified the formula, there were quite a few knockoffs that did it much better, like "Halloween," "Torso," or even something like "Sleepaway Camp."
April 24, 2017
By far the best thing about this movie is the very cool opening soundtrack. Everything else plays second fiddle. The 3D is almost as gratuitously used as the violence but in fairness the movie never pretends or aims to be anything more than the slasher horror flick that it is. If you like this kind of thing then you'll at least have fun while watching, just don't expect to remember it for long.
½ April 6, 2017
Friday the 13th Part 3 is little more than an excuse to use some then-new 3D effects. That being said, there's no denying how gory and scary some of those effects are, especially with Jason Voorhees delivering the kills and Steve Miner in the director's chair.
March 27, 2017
You just gotta laugh.
½ March 5, 2017
It's a carbon copy of the previous two installments with even less suspense and worse acting, but it's schlocky slice-and-dice entertainment through and through. Plus, it marks the first time Jason dons his signature hockey mask.
February 24, 2017
Guilty pleasure slasher fun
½ February 5, 2017
smh the only good thing about this flim was the legendary hockey mask
½ January 24, 2017
Why is this one not more appreciated? Creepy good style, self-aware of its camp factor but manages to play it for scare more than for laugh. Also the script is a big improvement from part 2, with an A story and a B plot that complements each other.
January 15, 2017
Nah Part 2 Was Better But I Liked this movie it's because Jason Got His AWESOME Hockey Mask for the first Time! which I liked about the movie Good Job Jason! HAVE A COOKIE!
January 15, 2017
Jason gets his iconic mask!
November 1, 2016
This is the same exact thing as the other movies, there's nothing new or special about it.
November 1, 2016
It's pretty cool to see how Jason gets a hold of the iconic hockey mask we know him for. The movie itself it good enough for horror fans (myself included) but Parts 1 and 2 are better in my opinion. The characters were ok...they definitely didn't stand out like in the previous two films. And yes, some of the kills were still pretty good. Overall, I rate it a 6/10 OR 3/5
½ October 31, 2016
Higher production values, better acting and Jason's iconic look. The best of the original three films.
October 30, 2016
I can't tell you why but I enjoy this movie so much. Now I've always been a fan of the F13th series and this is the best one in my opinion.
½ October 12, 2016
Weakest of the four I've seen so far, but not bad.
½ October 7, 2016
Continued Crystal Lake bloodletting, now with 100% more hockey mask. Characterization has improved from the pitiful showing in Part 2, but that's close to the textbook definition of a backhanded compliment. We still endure some painfully awkward social interactions and idiotic decisions from the cast, and linger too long in their dry, boring daylight scenes. The series has moved past the camp counselor-as-victim model, though it doesn't seem to make much of a difference: these generic teenagers don't behave much differently. Jason continues to be omnipresent, basically signifying a transition point between every scene. Time to move our perspective into the bedroom? Well, let's just cram a shadowy figure or heavy work boot into the end of the preceding shot. Don't forget the trademarked stalking/heavy breathing melody. His problems with closing the deal also persist: the guy is downright psychic for the first dozen kills, but when the number of survivors drops to one or two, all of a sudden he can't get out of his own way. Sloppy and poorly made, like many of the era's horror movies, but also oddly charming for many of the same reasons.
August 8, 2016
There is no doubt that the Friday the 13th films are awful, but Part 3 is the series best installment because it is the only one to make some effort at developing its characters. Not all the characters are developed. There are at least two characters who are somewhat interesting; the film's survivor named Chris (or Chrissy) who manages to escape from Jason by sticking an axe in his head, and Shelley who is nerdy, insecure, overweight, a practical joker, and very horny. Part 3 is extremely silly at times, and the deaths are over the top, ridiculous, and cartoony. It is a stupid film, but kind of funny and entertaining.
August 7, 2016
I liked it about the same as the first and a little more than the second. I was getting sick of the first person viewpoint of the killers and it was nice to actually see what Jason was doing for once. He FINALLY gets his mask in this one too (that's when the perspective changes). This was probably the most entertaining one so far, but the formula is getting old. There was no difference in story or setting yet and it's just getting boring. Still get the fake ending (and it's STILL the same thing, I don't understand why they keep doing it other than to joke with the audience) and the stupid 10 minute recap/flashback at the beginning of the movie so that we know the story continues...even though there is a PART III IN THE TITLE.
½ August 4, 2016
I have plenty of defenses for the first two films, but I have difficulty with this one. However, if you're looking for a fun, goofy movie to talk at with your buddies than look no further.
July 27, 2016
A slight improvement to the second film, but it still feels like we're watching the same movie over and over again. At least Jason dons his famous hockey mask in this installment.