Friday the 13th Part 3 - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Friday the 13th Part 3 Reviews

July 27, 2016
A slight improvement to the second film, but it still feels like we're watching the same movie over and over again. At least Jason dons his famous hockey mask in this installment.
July 14, 2016
A fantastic film in the Friday the 13th series! With the infamous first appearance of the Hockey mask. This movie has great 3D shots, and great suspense!
July 13, 2016
My favorite installment from my favorite franchise!
July 11, 2016
Jason! The third film of the series is more creative then the other films and even manages to set an interesting story but it's still the Slash and Sex formula. The film still was pretty fun and spooky in a cheesy way!
½ July 11, 2016
The one thing setting this apart from your normal Friday the 13th sequel is the fact that Jason (played by the late Richard Brooker) is terrifyingly good.
½ July 9, 2016
I honestly consider Friday The 13th Part 3 one of the very last "great" films in the series, before the franchise went completely downhill with new actors, new directors, and movie studios that didn't manage the film all that great. This film tried to be slightly different with the adding of 3D which was something really unneeded and something that sidetracked the film off from surpassing the previous film. And that's another thing that really killed the series, how every installment after one specific one tried to be really different, but it just ended off hurting the film and being really stupid. But other than the small 3D problem, this film was really fun to watch and was extremely remembering all the way through.
July 9, 2016
Part 3 is the first movie in the series that has no mystery or suspense, because the viewer knows who the killer is the entire movie. At least we get to see the iconic hockey mask Jason for the first time. Overall a gory movie with very little creativity.that at times has pretty poor film quality. Still an entertaining horror flick.
½ June 24, 2016
I guess it was an important movie in the series, as Jason finally gets his mask. But the story wasn't very good, and it was boring in parts. Not really sure if watching it in 3D would have made the movie much better. Avoid if you can.
June 1, 2016
Friday the 13th Part 3 (1982) C-96m. ?? D: Steve Miner. Dana Kimmell. Paul Kratka Tracie Savage, Jeffrey Rogers, Catherine Parks. Far less graphic than the first two installments, is still just a slasher film, though less gruesome than most. Campers arrive on Crystal Lake where they meet that nice guy Jason. Wooden script, bad acting, helped by widescreen photography and 3-D effects. [R]
½ May 8, 2016
Before I dig into Part 3 I'd like to get a few things out of the way. Firstly, yes, most of these sequels begin with a lengthy recap of the previous film. Keep that fast forward button oiled up friends because you're going to need it. You may also be wondering how Jason survived his deep machete wound from Part 2. Well, he's real strong I guess. Perhaps a two-decade diet of squirrel turds and birch bark is the elixir Ponce DeLeon was looking for. Either way, these early films would like us to believe that Jason is merely a freakishly resilient human being whose inner rage makes him tough to kill. It's better if we accept that and move on.

The first thing to know about Friday the 13th Part 3 is that it was originally released in 3-D which explains the many instances of items flying towards the camera. The producers thought it was a good idea to revive that 1950s horror gimmick and, as far as ticket sales were concerned, it worked. I'm sure the film was fun to see in theaters but all those 3-D shots come off as sad and contrived for modern viewers limiting themselves to two dimensions. This film also takes place the day after Part 2, technically making it a Saturday the 14th movie. Sort of loses its punch right?

Watching this film is always a mixed experience for me. In a way I can't help but revere Part 3 because it provided Jason with his hockey mask. That one distinct ingredient gave this series a long life and I'm beholden to it for that reason. I suppose that makes me an apologist for this film because, mask aside, it's pretty rotten. The main offenders are the acting and dialogue which are both unforgivably bad. At no point do these characters resemble actual people, they fail to evolve beyond laughable caricatures. It's as if members of an alien race wrote this screenplay after observing human beings for all of fifteen minutes. What were they thinking?

Some distasteful elements creep into the Jason cannon here including his on-screen murder of a pregnant woman and the assertion that he may have raped one of the main characters. What the hell? This violates my acceptance of these films as fun, hyperbolic murder-by-numbers games. I want an Agatha Christie setup and cheeky, over-the-top violence, not sex crimes and other such unsavory behavior. Bad form.

There's also the issue of the black motorcycle gang member. He's attacked by Jason in the barn in the middle of the film and the camera angle clearly shows his head being hacked with the blade of a machete multiple times. Somehow he survives this and jumps out to defend the last girl later in the movie. How does that work exactly? Are my eyes not working properly?

Part 3 is the first installment in the series that doesn't really give a shit about the audience or the other films. There's no attempt to deepen the Jason story or build on the legacy of Camp Crystal Lake. It's an important building block in the series but not one that deserves repeat viewings.
May 8, 2016
Part 3 Or better known as the one Jason finds his trademark hockey mask, The film itself is just the same, Only shot in 3D which I wasn't born when it came into cinema in 3D so I can't comment on that, The pace is much better than the second and the kills are pretty good but what's with all the crazy dreams at the end of these films? They don't help wrapping your head around what's real and what isn't, But anyway if you liked the first two then Part 3 will please fans.
½ May 3, 2016
Even the most likable character is unlikable, and the 3D gimmick is absolutely stupid.
April 25, 2016
Debut of the hockey mask! Great film! Enjoyed the new scenery at Higgins farm. Nice change of pace.
April 14, 2016
I honestly loved this movie. This movie was basiclly the birth of the hockey mask to horror and that's basically why i love it so much. people hate on it so much because they didn't get to see it in its prime in good 3D. overall a fun and amazing movie with great kills
March 15, 2016
The best of the original 4. This one I really enjoyed. Good kills and liked the characters a bit more and the setting and bullies.
March 5, 2016
Better then the 2nd movie but the 3D is ok but a ok cast some good core
February 6, 2016
This movie is so fucking goofy I think it's a comedy more than anything.XD,,,,,¢,,,,,,¦,,,,¢,,,,,¦,,,¢,,,,¦,,¢,,,¦hh
½ January 8, 2016
This 3rd installment in the series was the worst so far. Once again, it involved a group of teens in the woods that were out to party and have a good time. The lines were cheesy, the acting was horrible and every scene was predictable. They tried to mix it up with a large cast of characters who covered everything from lovable loser to the cocky jock. This was however the first time where Jason was actually a fairly unstoppable monster and it made some scenes fun when he just annihilated people. There was no character development at all it was strictly a slash fest until everyone was dead. Part 3 is a landmark only because it is where Jason finally gets his iconic hockey mask. This is the most lackluster effort so far in the series and should only be watched if you are watching them all in order, like me.
December 31, 2015
Jason good his mask finally doesn't add much to the sires but Jason is awesome
½ December 16, 2015
Every bit as bad as Part 2. The only thing of any relevance to anyone might be the killer's acquisition of the "iconic" hockey mask. Soulless and uninteresting.