Friday the 13th Part VII - The New Blood - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Friday the 13th Part VII - The New Blood Reviews

January 17, 2017
Kane Hodder and Lar Park-Lincoln are great and this adds something new and interesting to the story but it's still mostly the same.
½ January 15, 2017
Same Same Same Ratings every time These Movies gotta get better! Or stop being made or a remake I don't know do something to this Horror franchise!!!
½ January 5, 2017
Average score, amateur acting, clichéd story and cheesy kills. Honestly, the entertainment value isn't any better than the original movies. And here I thought that Part VI would be the turning point. I couldn't have been more wrong.
November 2, 2016
I thought the idea of beating Jason via telekinesis was pretty cool and no too over the top. The actors are ok, the kills were a little weaker than usual in my opinion...but overall, I still enjoyed the movie. I rate it 6/10 OR 3/5
October 29, 2016
You would think after six movies worth of murders, the government would just blow up camp crystal lake. I thought this wasn't that bad of a Friday the 13th film but I guess they ran out of ideas. I mean come on, a girl with telekinesis I know a super strength zombie is attacking everyone but still. The deaths were okay and the effect weren't bad. So watch if you please.
½ October 23, 2016
The first bad one. This is a 2 1/2 out of 5 for me. VI was a 3. But, this isn't without a few good ideas. And I like Kane Hodder's physicality a lot. It's just not a good movie though.
October 17, 2016
Jason rises again to stab, slice and sever the partygoing youths of Crystal Lake. This time, he stares down with a fellow supernatural: Tina, a troubled young woman with telekinetic abilities and an equally tragic history with the location. Points for shaking up the formula a tad, but this gimmick is just as ham-fisted and overplayed as everything else the series has tried to freshen itself up. Along with Tina's bad floating-toaster act, we still get the requisite amount of shallow teenage stereotypes - boring characters who don't really deserve their fate but certainly won't be mourned - and magical Jason hide-and-seek performances. Once again crippled by the censors, the kills are all cut short, and without those frequent, bloody, money shots to rely on, there's really no reason to bother tuning in. This entry's final surprise - a callback to the first film that's already been aped once or twice before - is so snort-inducingly bad I can't believe it actually got the green light. Stupid, toothless, time-wasting schlock.
September 28, 2016
One of the better ones in the franchise
August 8, 2016
Has Kane Hodder as Jason, and...not much else. They were going for a Jason v.s Carrie thing here, but it just wasn't that exciting or scary. Not a good movie at all, but that's not really a surprise is it?
August 3, 2016
A fairly average flick. There were some fun and grisly new makeup effects for Jason, but the story fell flat for me.
July 15, 2016
Jason VS Carrie! Love it! Jason also has never looked better, both with and without the hockey mask.
July 15, 2016
Another great Friday the 13th! It may have a weak plot, but Jason in this film is better then ever! With Kane Hodder behind the mask, this action packed Friday the 13th will keep you on the edge of your seat.
July 12, 2016
Carrie meets Voorhees! I really had fun with this film. Sure it was terrible but it was refreshing to see an original idea in such a bland series! It takes a more supernatural turn and sets the idea of Freddy and Jason living in the same universe!
July 11, 2016
Meh. This entry would've been marginally better if the MPAA hadn't *ahem* butchered it the way they did. Check it out on YouTube or your DVD extras. There's gore galore in them thar deleted scenes.
½ July 10, 2016
After the installment that revived the franchise in a good way, we get something that no one really asked for but something that we can't really complain about because it's a rather cool concept, especially for a horror film, and that's Jason Vs. Carrie. In this Friday The 13th film, Jason Voorhees once again vists Camp Crystal Lake to murder and he has to face down a teenager girl with telekinetic powers. We get some pretty good death scenes along with rather interesting sequences between Jason and "Carrie", and a watchable, somewhat enjoyable campy horror film.
July 9, 2016
The New Blood has Jason versus a telepath. Sounds fun right? Well not really because the movie tries to have a serious tone by diving into the telepath's past, unfortunately this is really boring and makes the movie a drag. A prime example of a movie that took itself too seriously.
May 13, 2016
So I'm guessing "The Final Chapter" flew over the studios heads like an Hawk.

A New Blood is set years after Jason being chained to the bottom of Crystal Lake, he is awoken by a girl with telekinetic powers and begins another killing spree.

How did this series get here? I mean, what started as the usual slasher movie with the first movie, then suddenly turns into one of the most ridiculous and silly horror movies I have ever seen. A girl with Telekinesis powers that beats up Jason...WHAT?! And yes, I know it's going for a different approach as this is the seventh movie in the series, but it's only done for the sake of it and it's dreadful.

This is by far the worst entries to the Friday the 13th series. It's boring, the acting is atrocious and so is the writing, but the whole series has been like that.
jamrcla
May 8, 2016
Better than I expected but the films are getting boring and sillier now, Having a girl with telekinesis powers fight Jason is just too far, I must admit it's probably the best acted in the series so far and Kane Hodder is the best suited to play Jason yet too, I was enjoying it as much as I could what with the typical Friday 13th cliche cheap scares they add in every title, until that god awful ending that made no sense and completely made the movie just pure stupid.
May 8, 2016
So here we are, seven parts into the series and how far have we come? The very first film involved a killer stalking and murdering teenaged inhabitants of a summer camp, there was a rainstorm, well-timed power outages, a storyline involving a tragic parental relationship, and an epic conclusion involving a lake. Watching The New Blood I can tell you that we've come a long way since...urm...no wait, all that stuff happens in this one too. Ok I surrender, there's no point in pretending that these films are anything less than endlessly gory variations on a specific formula and aesthetic. If you've stuck with the series this long then you've already realized that but you may also have picked up on something else: somehow these movies got better!

The New Blood is remarkable in how it neutralizes predictability by being awesome. You already know what's going to happen before you press play right? Well, the director made this film with such foresight in mind. The screenplay is built around a new story involving a troubled girl with a violent past at Crystal Lake. This is then merged with the Jason timeline, focusing more on Tina's psychological exploitation than the reemergence of Jason from the lake. Although the usual amount of disbelief must be suspended this merging of narratives works very well. This is probably the only time when the plot for one of these movies isn't either painfully contrived or completely lacking in effort.

Director John Carl Buechler also gives us veteran stuntman Kane Hodder as Jason, easily the most valuable franchise contribution since the introduction of the hockey mask. Hodder is masterful with his movement and able to communicate a great deal without speaking. His huge frame, exaggerated breathing, and vocabulary of turns and head gestures gave Jason a degree of personality and visible fury that had never been seen in these films. In addition to that the Jason makeup is outstanding. After spending years underwater he is decayed and falling apart in the true zombie tradition. There's no doubt that this is the best portrayal of Jason ever seen on film.

The major downside of The New Blood is that it was heavily cut by the MPAA. Buechler set up some devastating death scenes and, since a director's cut was never released, many of these no longer exist anywhere in their full form. It's a shame because, had these scenes been included in their entirety, this might be unequivocally declared the best film in the series. As it stands I think The New Blood is tied with Part 2 for the title of franchise crown jewel. They're very different films but each represents the best aspects of different eras within the series.

There should be no surprise that The New Blood is, not only among the very best of these films, but the last one that can even be considered "not garbage". After many years of watching these films I still can't believe how pitiful it gets after this. Have mercy on me.
½ April 22, 2016
Friday the 13th Part VII just goes through the motions of another Jason Voorhees tale. It does not really bring anything innovative to the series. The kills are not as good as the previous films and the plot is lackluster. It is Jason Voorhees nonetheless and his presence keeps it interesting.