Fright Night - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fright Night Reviews

September 28, 2016
To childishly believe that your neighbor is actually a baleful fiend with a dark secret is something I figure almost every child experiences in their lifetime, so it's a shame that the brooding muscleman that moves in next door (a terrific Colin Farrell) to teenager Charley Brewster (Anton Yelchin) is not just a baleful fiend but also a lusty, bloodthirsty vampire. It takes only a few days for Charley to come to that conclusion, and it takes only a few days for Charley to decide that somehow defeating the evil he calls neighbor now is a must, not a maybe.
No one, of course, believes him until it's far too late, but in this remake of the 1985 classic of the same name, enough innovation is in place to ensure that what we're seeing is not necessarily a rehash of the '80s "Fright Night" nor vampire movies in general. Always on the cusp of becoming a full-blown horror comedy film, it's a flirtatiously dangerous feature with, yes, a bite.
Its characters remain the same - Charley is still a wide-eyed square in over his head, Amy (Imogen Poots), his gorgeous girl, is still out of league, and Jerry Dandridge is still a vampire to rival Count Dracula - but different this time is the incarnation of Peter Vincent (David Tennant), arguably the greatest personality of the original. Before, he was a flailing TV show host and supposed vampire hunter enlisted by Charley for some much needed assistance. But in the 2011 movie is he portrayed by David Tennant as a Las Vegas magician with a likeness of Criss Angel caliber who just so happens to know a lot about bloodsuckers.
In both "Fright Nights," Peter Vincent is the greatest asset, and the lining up of charm is nothing to circle around. The overall retaining of the 1985's counterpart is an extraordinarily difficult thing to pull off, especially considering the impact it made on the overarching horror comedy subgenre. So good for 2011's "Fright Night" ability to stand on its own and manage to pay respects in the process - it has big shoes to fill.
Written with a finely tuned brand of humor by Marti Noxon and directed by Craig Gillespie with one eye on style and another on a carefully crafted ambience of macabre superiority, "Fright Night" is a spunky chiller to admire. We don't feel like we're watching a remake as much as we feel like we're watching a smartly designed homage. And for what it's worth, there's not a thing wrong with that.
September 7, 2016
There's nothing special about Fright Night.
September 5, 2016
4/5. A fun and surprisingly good remake that keeps enough of the original, but adds enough to make it fresh.
August 25, 2016
Fright Night may not have the most scares ever seen in a horror film, but it features an incredible performance by Colin Farrell, and that's close enough for me. The dude was so intimidating and in your face it was really unforgettable, and he was the highlight of the film. David Tennant, Imogen Poots, and Anton Yelchin also did very good here too, I wish Dave Franco was used more though. Fright Night was intense, and very fun, which is something horror films have strayed away from. It was perfect to fit that in with this remake though, otherwise if it tried to scare the pants off you, it probably would have come off as a cheap rehashing for some money. Watch Fright Night and have fun with it, please.
½ August 24, 2016
Exploitive, vulgar, and trashy, Fright Night is one of the worst movies in 2011. Everything that comes out of it is glossed over with an obnoxious coat of profanity and sexually explicit dialogue that doesn't fit in. I don't disown those kinds of movies when the content is justified (Goodfellas had good reason to have 300 f words), but this movie is abysmal, disgustingly shocking, and grotesque, and is not justified at all. It's barely justified to be on the silver screen in the first place.
August 22, 2016
I looked at my watch a lot = 6/10
August 16, 2016
É a presença marcante do Colin Farrel que realmente impulsiona este remake de "A hora do espanto". Mesmo com poucas qualidades, é tenso o suficiente e resgata características básicas esquecidas pelo efeito negativo dos fraquíssimos filmes da franquia Twilight.
½ August 8, 2016
Fright Night(2011)
Starring:Anton Yelichin,Collin Farrell,Toni Collettie,David Tennant,Imogen Poots,Christopher Mintz Plasse,Dave Franco,Reld Ewing,Will Denton
Directed By:Craig Gillespie
My Review
I saw a good remake this year that was not to long ago also released on DVD. It was called evil dead and I enjoyed it and i usually hate horror remakes. Earlier this month i also saw another 80's horror classic called Fright Night. I thought it was amazing and tons of fun. I wanted to see the remake but was unable to until i found out that it would be shown on SYFY which is were i watched it.
The Film as we should know is about a teenager named Charley(Anton Yelchin)who is one the verge of becoming popular in his school,and is finally dating the hottest girl in school. He is even dissing his old friend Ed who tells Charly his new neighbor is a vampire. After not believing he soon realizes he was right along and does whatever he can to protect his girlfriend and mother and stop the vampire.
I liked this vampire movie it's saying alright were not going to have any of that Twilight gay vampire crap the vampire in our fright night remake means business. The actors are cool young interdependent actors that I have seen before in a few of there movies. But I didn't know who David Tennant ,who played Peter Vicent was. But I like this cast and I tought they all worked really well together. The movie is a much more paced out then the original and has some new interesting stuff happen.Like instead of having the mother already invite the vampire in,in this film the vampire says "Charly has been harassing me,I'm going to call the authorities" but instead he blows up the house and says "Don't need an invitation if there's no house." That was epic.
I'm going to call it a day and say Fright Night get's a 4 1/2 out of 5.
July 24, 2016
A pretty great remake, thanks to the handling of the material and great cast. Gives bite to vampire genre again, which is needed these days. Also enjoy that is not a shot-for-shot remake. The only quarrel I have with the movie is the terrible CGI. Was totally unnecessary.
½ July 21, 2016
An underrated remake that actually surpasses the original. It's a fun time
½ July 21, 2016
The problem with this movie is the setting makes it very difficult to pull off this plot, almost too difficult to the point of cheesy and clichà (C). They should have set it in a Northern U.S., country town where the houses are more spread out. The creepiness of the forest would have played more to the tune of this movie. It's Jennifer's Body all over again. The only redeeming quality I could find to it was McLovin's character and Anton Yelchin's blassà (C) character. I stopped this movie 30 minutes in and that's after I fast forwarded a bit and paused a bunch to do other things.
½ July 17, 2016
Not as good as the original, but still entertaining. It's at times very violent, but then it is a vampire movie, so I guess that should be expected.
½ July 15, 2016
A nice update to the 1986 classic with modern twists that make it as enjoyable as the first movie.
July 13, 2016
Entertaining, funny, campy and creepy at times, this remake gives a better name to vampires in the modern era. However, it's difficult to say how this version will fare over time because of its lackluster special effects as opposed to the original's charming practical effects.
June 30, 2016
I think this film much like The Lost Boys has got the balance between comedy and horror just right.
A lot of vampire films tend to take themselves too seriously. Others just go for really over the top action like Blade and Underworld.
Colin Farrell plays the part of the vampire very well. Especially in the sense that you like him even though he's the villain. Much in the same way I liked Kiefer Sutherland's David in The Lost Boys.
Overall I enjoyed this enough to want to see it on more than one occasion. An achievement not many modern day vampire flicks can (Twilight of course is included in this).

Having seen the original, I like this even more than I did the first time I saw it. The original is nowhere near as good. Also kudos to David Tennants performance.
½ June 26, 2016
Although "Fright Night" is one of the better remake. However, just like the other ones, a unecessary remake.
June 20, 2016
The remake was wonderful. A very good story. Excellent retold vampire story. Loved it. It was especially wonderful in 3-D. It still looks good without the 3-D. It's a awesome vampire movie.
June 19, 2016
Ao contrário do que é habitual com "remakes", o material de origem é usado e actualizado de forma inteligente, tirando partido do talento de Colin Farrell para este tipo de papel. Fright Night mostra que revitalizar uma ideia pode dar um bom filme nas mãos certas.
June 10, 2016
This is a great movie. Its a remake to the 1985 original and while its a bit of an unnecessary remake I welcome its existence upon the few great remakes. The movie has a great tone and feel to it as well as a great setting being set in a small town. A fun movie with funny moments and great vampire horror and suspense was well as great performances by Colin Farrell, David Tennant and Anton Yelchin make this a worth while movie experience. Great movie to watch on halloween.
½ June 3, 2016
Doesn't really add anything to the original, but I've seen far worse horror remakes in my time.