The Frighteners Reviews

• Jul 01, 2019

the dude who always was going uhh gasping noises cracked me up 😂

the dude who always was going uhh gasping noises cracked me up 😂

• May 31, 2019

An old and silly, Peter Jackson film where Michael J. Fox plays a guy that can communicate with ghosts. He tricks people as he makes the ghosts haunt houses, then he makes them go away after getting fairly payed. Fox is doing a great role here - often he is all alone in the scenes, as the ghosts are put in by effects. It reminds me a bit of "Ghostbusters" but even more "Beetlejuice" - another big film that I never really liked. The film's biggest problem for me is the way it tries to be both serious, scary and funny at the same time. Non of it really works as it's to silly. The story is OK but it fail to engage me. The film is also too long. I fell out of it several times, and never really got into it. The music, the acting and the pretty OK effects saves it a bit, but it's not a good film for me. 4.5 out of 10 garden gnomes.

• Apr 20, 2019

The Frighteners is a lot of horrror with a lot of humor as well. Peter Jackson directed it and it shows as it's silly.

• Mar 18, 2019

This has been a favorite since I first saw it when I was 12. Nearly 22 years later I can still enjoy it as much as I did all those years ago. It scared me back than but it's funny as well.

• Mar 01, 2019

Although the acting, the special effects and the premise is good. The movie have difficulties to tell a worth-watch story

• Jul 19, 2018

It is not a perfect movie, but "The Frighteners" knows how to deliver good special effects and some gags that can make you laugh out loudly a lot of times. Plus, the Peter Jackson's firm is present all the time, even if it's so Young here that gets lost sometimes

• Jan 17, 2018

A very good film but trying to be a bit of everything. When it works it works but there are a lot of uneven plot elements...Its like Jackson tried to cover the whole genre with one movie. This is not a kids or family film...more a comedy/horror. The visual effects are the star of this movie and if it was streamlined it could have been a classic. Just lacking but an entertaining movie that will please horror fans

• Sep 10, 2017

Peter Jackson creates another Horror-Comedy thrill house with "The Frighteners". Michael J. Fox is fantastic, Jeffery Combs' performance is unnervingly unforgettable, and the rest of the cast pulls off their performances without any problems. The special effects have aged a bit but don't distract. The writing is often times witty with very funny dialogue but sometimes the rules of being ghosts isn't always the clearest. If you want to see what Peter Jackson did before he took the world by storm with the "Lord of the Rings" movies, this might be his best offering.

• Feb 28, 2017

This film is very fun and creepy at times, but it has a lot of problems. The effects are god awful, it has a hard time mixing comedy and horror together, and despite being a fun character, a certain character is way overacted. Despite all of that though, it is a fun film and Micheal J.Fox is great. Check this one out when you have a chance.

• Nov 03, 2016

Don't know how I'd not seen this before. Feels like a spiritual successor to Beetlejuice. Holds up well over time.