The Frisco Kid - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

The Frisco Kid Reviews

½ November 17, 2016
A shaggy picaresque, this is the kind of movie I would have watched again and again if I'd caught it on HBO in the 80s.
October 3, 2016
This movie had a lot of potential for humor, but fell short when trying to make serious points. I did enjoy the humorous subtleties that made Wilder great, but this was not easy to appreciate when I kept worrying about their pushing the envelope with the Jewish religion. I did not feel that Ford was good for this role.
October 2, 2016
Uneven but I enjoyed it.
½ September 26, 2016
It feels like Aldrich was undecided on what kind of film this would be. It certainly has the western base, but with all the Judaism themes brought into the film, many righteousness and right-vs-wrong themes were raised. Finally, one of the first bromances between Ford and Wilder confused me entirely. While I truly enjoyed all of these themes, I believe that Aldrich should have focused on either of them more closely and possibly expanded them.
Besides that, Gene Wilder steals the show with his performance.
September 22, 2016
If you're a fan of Gene Wilder or Harrison Ford, you don't want to pass over this film. If you're both, and want to see some lovely rapport between the two, drop everything and watch it.
August 31, 2016
We absolutely love this movie and thank Gene Wilder for his wonderful portrayal ....
August 30, 2016
I really liked this movie. There we a few casting shortcomings, but Gene Wilder, and Harrison Ford were amazing in this movie.
August 22, 2015
A jumbled story, but one that ages well, I think. I only recently encountered the western, and found that, despite some atrocious writing, the characters weave a rather fun and pleasant tale.
½ March 25, 2015
Harrison Ford and Gene Wilder make a terrific dynamic pair
½ September 22, 2014
an average comedy. Gene Wilder is always good but he really needs a good film to get the best out of him and this wasn't it but It's ok.
June 21, 2014
140620: Thought this film was familiar with 4 for Texas. Better though. Enjoyed Wilder, made me laugh. Features a young Harrison Ford. Wilder made the whole film for me.
May 7, 2014
Imagine it, you've got Harrison Ford who's literately fresh off Star Wars and the hottest thing in Hollywood at the time. So what better way to follow on from that with...a Gene Wilder comedy set in the wild west?. This is probably the one type of film that I wouldn't ever expect to see Harrison Ford in.

The plot is very straight forward, a Jewish Rabbi needs to get across the US to San Francisco so he can take up his new position and meet his new wife there. Its a perilous journey and he's gonna need help, luckily along the way he meets up with cowboy and bank robber Ford to guide him. What follows is a classic old fashioned odd couple tale with Ford as the stern dashing risk taking criminal who's good in a fight and fast with his pistol, and dragging his arse behind him is the strictly religious meek kind gentle innocent Rabbi who absolutely refuses to ride his horse on a Saturday.

Its the typical Wilder vehicle really with cheeky clever dialog, visual gags and pratfalls, tonnes of charm and a heart of gold at the centre. You know what to expect along the way, its pretty obvious really, any cliched predictable cowboy setup and scenario you can think of but stick a Rabbi in the thick of it, you know its gonna be amusing. I won't say its the best comedy I've come across or the best Wilder comedy, its certainly cute cheerful and good viewing for all the family. Its not quite as funny as I thought it might be admittedly, watching Wilder prance around in his Jewish tucks trying to cope with the wild west whilst Ford gruffly shouts at him is funny to begin with but does get a tad dull after a time.

The film does lack a bit of bite and could do with some more outright laughs really. Ford's acting is also a bit touch and go at first but he gets into it later on, only problem is he takes things a bit too seriously I think. You do tend to think this will be a farcical spoof type affair much like 'Young Frankenstein', the films poster hints at it and the combination of the ever lovable goofy Wilder alongside the manly Ford does seem to scream it. But this doesn't really materialise, in fact the film does swing more towards a soppy light-hearted drama towards the end which spoils the fun a bit for me.

The best moments are probably when the duo get caught by native Indians, again there are hints of great comedy here but it doesn't quite make it. And Again when the duo end up in a Trappist monastery (vows of silence)...you know where I'm going with this don't you huh. Yep its the classic setup for the kind of silly laughs you half expect to see in a Mel Brooks parody. Only thing is again they don't quite take advantage of the setup with only one funny silly moment.

I do feel there was a really classic comedy here just waiting to burst free but somehow its been smothered, not sure how or why. Maybe Wilder wanted to actually make a more semi serious comedy with some emotion. Its a strange little movie really, some nice bits of humorous dialog from Wilder at times but they get rained upon by Ford's overly assertive character. The films visuals are nice and cozy overall (you can see its an old film that's for sure) and generally everything ticks along harmlessly giving you the odd smile. Not really the manic wacky zany riot of belly laughs you've come to expect from Wilder. Never the less its a solid quirky alternative little western that's still worth a watch even though it does feel like its missing Mel Brooks' input.
½ July 15, 2013
What a strange western.
½ March 30, 2013
It's fun to see Harrison Ford as a cowboy, post 'Star Wars'/ pre 'Indiana Jones', however the script is awful.
March 30, 2013
I don't care what the critics said about this, I think it;s a funny and charming movie. A young Harrison Ford and a young Gene Wilder. Hell, it's about a Rabbi from Poland traveling across the US to the west coast. How can this not be good?
February 6, 2013
Took a while... ages really to get into some good comedy but when there were laughs they were great. Definitely way too long.
December 12, 2012
I wanted to like it so much more. Gene Wilder's performance and the fun premise make it worth watching.
December 7, 2012
Worth finding and watching!
½ August 21, 2012
Rabbi makes eventful trek from Poland to San Francisco. The journey becomes more important than the destination and maintaining convictions through tough situations; some good themes and amusing parts but carried out far too long.
July 17, 2012
Don't really know why I decided to watch it but it wasn't that funny.