From Justin To Kelly - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

From Justin To Kelly Reviews

½ September 16, 2016
From Justin to Kelly(2003)
Starring: Justin Guarini, Kelly Clarkson, Brandon Henschel, Greg Siff, Brian Dietzen, Jason Yribar, Justin Gorence, Christopher Bryan, Yamil Piedra, Katherine Bailess, and Anika Noni Rose
Directed By: Robert Iscove
Review
THE TALE OF TWO AMERICAN IDOLS.
Hello Kiddies your pal the Cupid Critic with two old famous teenage american idols who look like MTV rejects. Justin Guarini and Kelly Clarkson are in a romantic musical jut by the idea of that it sounds like a terrible film.
A lonely, sexually repressed man. A depressed woman. A summer camp. On this fateful night, they will meet... and their hearts will become one.
The films goal was probably to make some money and make their careers hot on the press, maybe at the time it may have succeeded but this is one lame romantic musical, with the music looking like a music video instead of a heartfelt hollywood production. The acting is downright awful and I had to check periodically to find out if I had gone death just by listening to their dialogue. The story is no interesting its the same things you see in any teen romance but with unlikeable characters and your not rooting for the two main leads to be together.
The direction is horrendous this time around from Robert Iscove who directed She's All That which I have plans on seeing in this time of love as we're closing in on Valentines Day.
None of the elements of a good film are present during this picture it has horrible script with horrendous acting and just a really boring premise and love story. I'm giving From Justin To Kelly a half out of five.
½ June 5, 2016
if I could do 0 I would
April 9, 2016
I've seen worse! it's a musical!!!
October 29, 2015
No stars. Kelly Clarkson had no acting ambitions and only made this movie because it was in the record contract she won on "American Idol." Isn't that a tragedy? To be FORCED to star in a movie? I'm not being facetious here, I just can't imagine what kind of twisted, ruthless system would put somebody in that position. And Kelly ably protests her forced participation in this by acting, quite literally, like she couldn't care less about her character, her co-stars, or anything else that's going on in this movie. And I do not blame her one bit. This movie sucks on every level. The songs suck, the acting sucks (even from a then unknown Anika Noni Rose. Guess she didn't want to do this either) and everything else is too pedestrian to comment on. "American Idol's" gone now, but it's first and only foray into the world of film will be remembered as one of the most appalling crimes ever committed to movie musicals.
September 21, 2015
Oh God why. This is one of the worst attempts to cash in on popular icons (at the time). Plot was non-existent, same goes with the acting.
July 19, 2015
If there is a movie that I made through without changing the channel, From Justin to Kelly is that movie.

When Kelly (Clarkson) and Justin (Guarini) embark on a vacation in search of some fun in the sun with their respective groups of friends, the two meet and fall for each other at first sight. Unfortunately, a series of comedic mishaps and hijinks gets in the way of them getting together. Several song-and-dance numbers ensue.

From Justin to Kelly is one big commercial for Kelly Clarkson (who is the winner of season one of American Idol) and Justin Guarini (who is the runner-up of season one of American Idol). Sometimes that is not a terrible thing but in case of this film, it is. For them to be singers to be in a movie like this together as a whole, they must have chemistry. In the case of From Justin to Kelly,saying Clarkson and Guarini's is nonexistent is an insult to any two leads with missing chemistry with each other.

The story is really idiotic and paint-by-numbers. I have seen this done before. Our characters (and I use that word loosely) get together then they break up for some reason and then they get back together (blah blah blah). We get it! Try something new, please. Oh, I forgot! The producer and writer of Spice World directed this film. Let that sink in for a second!

The two things that should have been good is the songs and choreography. And boy, they are a letdown. The songs in From Justin to Kelly are some of the most banal songs in recent memory. They are not enjoyable to listen to. The songs are dull and unlistenable. And the choreography is the worst I have ever seen. It is so bad that the film won the Governor's Award at the Razzies.

There is one thing good about From Justin to Kelly. That is the voice of Anika Noni Rose (who later did Dreamgirls and The Princess and the Frog). And that is it. Unfortunately, her beautiful voice along with Clarkson is just wasted in a film like this.

As a notorious stinker, from the flat acting, the conventional plot, the boring songs, and you name it, From Justin to Kelly is a complete failure. It is a movie so bad that Clarkson felt contractually obligated to do the movie. After watching it, I totally believe her. It is a good thing that she went and did better things with her career. I questioned myself like" Is there any point to the film besides making for Clarkson and Guarini?" The answer to that is a no. This was an excuse for them to have their own movie after their season of American Idol was over. Don't get me wrong! There is nothing wrong that. However, if you get the writer and producer of Spice World, it can go the left really quick. And too bad it didn't work out for Clarkson and Guarini. Unless you are a teen, watch some Kelly Clarkson music videos instead or just listen to her music (which are way better). You are better off doing that.
½ June 11, 2015
One of the worst. I can't even...... Just why?
May 13, 2015
I love this movie. I watch it when I'm sick at home. The music is fun and it is a great feel good movie. It isn't meant to be high art.
Most of these critics need to get over themselves.
March 25, 2015
From Justin To Kelly seriously sucks. I mean, sucks. Simon, Spice Girls was stupid too, but it was at least badly entertaining. Whereas, this just fails and reeks of garbage. I love Kelly Clarkson, but she sucks here. From Justin To Kelly is nothing more than a stupid and dull cheap cash-in on American Idol.
January 15, 2015
Not funny, not catchy, unfocused and terribly shallow.
January 3, 2015
Better than snowpiercer
½ November 1, 2014
The music is intolerable, the plot is stupid, and the chemistry between its contractually-obliged stars is zero.
October 13, 2014
"From Justin to Kelly" is the worst kind of bad movie; the kind that's so uninspired and dull you can't even make fun of it. It's spring break in Florida. Kelly Taylor (Kelly Clarkson) needs a break from her waiting and entertaining job and although she's not super anxious to go, she's convinced by her friends Alexa (Katherine Bailess) and Kaya (Anika Noni Rose) that a little vacation is just what she needs. In Fort Lauderdale, Justin Bell (Justin Guarini) and his friend Carlos (Jason Yribar) are reaping the benefits of the crowds of teenagers by setting up competitions and parties while their friend Eddie (Brian Dietzen) is trying to meet up with his internet crush. When they all meet up on the beach, Justin is very interested in Kelly, but she suspects he's too party-crazy and wouldn't be interested in a real relationship. Alexa however, thinks he's just the kind of guy she wants and she won't let him get away. She repeatedly jumps between them with text messages and leads Justin to believe that Kelly is not interested despite the fact that the more time they spend together, the more the two leads start to fall for each other. During these misunderstandings, Kaya is starting a relationship with a sexy busboy named Carlos and although he hasn't had any luck with the ladies, Brandon keeps bumping into a sexy beach patrol woman and he's convinced it's only a matter of time before she falls for him. If you're expecting a whole lot of singing, spontaneously choreographed dance numbers and predictable love plots, then you've come to the right place.
It's just a by-the-books beach romance story that's been padded out to 1hr 21 minutes by throwing in a bunch of songs, one dimensional characters and light-as-air romance plots. It's clear that Kelly Clarkson and Justin Guarini have talent, but the songs they're given aren't memorable and weren't made for them so it just feels like a waste of time. The acting is spotty at best, you can tell by the fact that both Kelly Clarkson and Justin Guarini's characters' first names are the same as theirs. In the actors' defense though, it's blatantly obvious that this film was made due to contractual obligation. Why else would you have the winner and runner-up of a competition act together in a romantic movie when neither of them have any acting experience, and limited professional singing experience too? I suspect the whole thing was dug up from a dusty box of "quick, cheap teenage plots", rewritten a little bit and then shipped out to a crew that wasn't passionate at all about the project to capitalize on the immediate popularity of the stars. Even aside from the technical standpoint of the writing, the movie isn't put together very competently. It's poorly edited and looks more like a music video than a movie when there's singing and dancing and poorly acted when there isn't. If you're a fan of either Kelly Clarkson or Justin Guarini, or even of "American Idol", skip "From Justin to Kelly" and just listen to one of their albums instead. (VHS, August 24, 2012)
September 11, 2014
I shall call it 'Shitty Grease'. This movie has some of the most awkward looking musical numbers I've seen. It looks like they mixed a lame highschool pep rally with rejected footage from 'Girls Gone Wild'. Still, the film is to harmless to hate
September 4, 2014
Possibly the worst movie ever, which I found oddly endearing. There's just nothing good about it. Which is why I bought the DVD and laugh my way through it every few years.
August 11, 2014
If anyone reads this, they'll crucify me for saying this. But I'd see. I *heart* Kelly Clarkson.
June 21, 2014
Poor poor Kelly. I love Kelly Clarkson I think she is the best singer in the bis. But this movie is so so bad. Neither star can act (Kelly admits that she can't in any interview on this movie). Cring worthy besides the fact that Kelly sounds amazing as always
May 10, 2014
From Justin to Kelly, an overwhelmingly awful piece of filmmaking even American Idol winner Kelly Clarkson herself said she didn't want to do if she weren't contractually obliged. And does anyone even remember what's-his-face anymore?