From the Hip - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

From the Hip Reviews

½ September 17, 2016
My Dad Hates this movie so Much
August 8, 2015
Far-fetched, but entertaining, even though the end was easy to see coming from a long way off. John Hurt was his usual excellent self. The man can act anything or anyone. He could convince you he's a psychopath or the sweetest guy on earth. He can be anything, and he's always worth watching, no matter what he's in.
April 9, 2015
One of my FAVORITE ???
July 28, 2014
interesting. worth a watch
September 10, 2013
Just watched this movie for the second time in about a week taking a trip down memory lane. I actually liked this movie for the most part. I thought John Hurt's performance as the egotistic English Literature professor on trial for murder was brilliant. Judd Nelson was capable and Elizabeth Perkins sweet as the supportive girlfriend. Some funny supporting performances by Darren McGavin (best known for Christmas Story) and Alan Arbus (best known for being the psychiatrist on M*A*S*H).
½ August 16, 2013
From The Hip falls short of laughs as a result of a weak performance by Judd Nelson
May 31, 2013
Maverick snot nose new lawyer fakes his way to an unbeatable case only to realize that playing by the rules is better than being an assshole and letting a client get away with murder. John hurt is a stand out as a crazed client accused of murder. Lots of good funny bits and courtroom hijinks, but the story gets turned around by the romantic subplot involving Judd and his Fiance, Elizabeth Perkins, who could have been played by any one.
November 27, 2011
Naive, lighthearted, typical 80s comedy. I watched it for Judd Nelson and wasn't disappointed.
½ June 18, 2011
**1/2 (out of four)

Well tuned performances from Judd Nelson and John Hurt is almost enough to recommend this light drama. But the material just isn't up to their enthusiasm.

Nelson plays a lawyer fresh out of law school. He aggressively makes a name for himself with a high profile case. He is then hired by Hurt, a man accused of murder.
½ May 17, 2011
Not a great movie but if you haven't seen it, it is worth your time. Funny and creepy. A little contrived but it is a movie.
½ May 10, 2011
What a stupid so called film.
June 20, 2010
Funny ass movie and smart
April 15, 2010
Has a sharp shift in tone between the first half and the second plus Judd Nelson is not the most charismatic leading man but the story is decent and there are excellent performances by Nancy Marchand, Darren McGavin, Ray Walston, Alan Arkin and particularly John Hurt who steals every scene that he's in.
March 14, 2010
Another film from the great Bob Clark, From the Hip is a sometimes hilarious, sometimes creepy little courtroom film. Anchored by strong work from Judd Nelson (yes, that is correct), Darren McGavin and the deliciously evil John Hurt. There are some incredibly funny exchanges of dialogue between Nelson and rival attorney Richard Zobel as well as some of the best examples of over-the-top courtroom theatrics ever put to film. A good movie with a great ending, From the Hip rises above the standard comedy fare and delivers a solid film.
October 30, 2009
I liked this movie because of its flippancy toward a system that is fairly broken. A fun film.
½ June 30, 2009
A very unique and original comedy/drama ("dramedy"), which was both very funny and at times very serious. Many parts were plain silly, such as the "celebration" (where they dress up) Robin and his other friends had after he had won his first case. Yet it was hilarious. Being one of the funniest movies I've seen in a while, I think of this as one of those misunderstood and unappreciated comedy classics.
April 8, 2009
hmm, comedy? There was one or two funny parts, else this was not funny at all. Lame movie actually. If i didn't love movies i would never had watched the whole movie. Judd Nelson is doing a good act as a lawyer, so i give this movie 2 stars.
January 30, 2009
I remember watching this during the 80s and really liked it, John Hurt was great and it was one of the very few films I saw Judd Nelson in. But still enjoyed it very much. Would love to see this again now, just to see how dated it is, but shame its abit hard to find.
½ December 18, 2008
Bob Clark loves his porky's pranksters and shennanigans. the first 45mins is garbage where Nelson shouts and pouts, but the moment Hurt strolls into the picture he shows what menacing force he is and Clark digs up some fine old skill he showed way back in Black Christmas
November 22, 2008