From Up On Poppy Hill - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

From Up On Poppy Hill Reviews

½ September 12, 2017
Stands out as a Ghibli movie that really closes out strong. It is one of the few that doesn't feel terribly rushed at the ending, and is satisfying with it's certainty of what is to come with the characters and their situation. Lacks all magical whimsy, instead opts for real life whimsy that Ghibli employs in their films like Whisper of the Heart and Only Yesterday. Whole film is in a word "Lovely".
May 23, 2017
What a sweet anime, set in 1960's Japan.
May 21, 2017
Another great film from the legendary Studio Ghibli!
½ April 28, 2017
Far from the best Studio Ghibli has to offer, but it's always nice to see the studio deviate from the whimsy and fantastical side of Hayao Miyazaki's films in favor of a quieter character drama like From Up on Poppy Hill. Goro Miyazaki makes up for the critically maligned Tales from EarthSea here; perhaps it's the involvement of his father as screenwriter that gave him a bit of a boost, but even then, as the director, he keeps things simple and streamlined, and pleasant overall. The story itself isn't anything particularly innovative, although the midpoint twist does make for an interesting dynamic for the rest of the movie. It's not the most stimulating Ghibli movie, but it's certainly one of the most accessible. A solid feel-good experience.
April 18, 2017
Loved this movie, especially the music.
½ February 17, 2017
So tedious I almost walked out, except I was at home.
½ November 30, 2016
A sweet and harmless animation that is surprisingly grounded in reality without the fantasy seen in the works of Hayao Miyazaki (who wrote the story), and it benefits from a lighthearted humor and tender nostalgia, even with a rather silly conflict that ends in a not-very-inspired way.
½ September 30, 2016
Definitely a nice old story like we would like to have lived. Plenty of nice characters. A natural connection. The whole is quite sensible and on an hopeful note. Talking note, the music is plain great and the great japanese song of the time that was so popular the world over (in many languages) comes up. No super powers!
½ September 30, 2016
½ August 10, 2016
Definitely NOT a movie for young children.
I got "my neighbour Totoro for my then 5 years old and we all loved it. We got then this dvd for our , now 6 years old, daughter because it was rated "G" and "U", but only through the movie we realised that the theme was outrageous for a young child. Took us a long time to explain to our daughter why she could no longer watch that dvd. Studio Gibli should be more careful with their comments/info on the dvd cover. Warning should be clearly given to parents when such big themes are discussed or implied in the movie. How do you explain "incest" to a child? Of course it didn't happen in the movie, as the story changed by the end, but the dark theme was there for most of the movie. I don't know what Japanese people think about the theme, but as a British family we are very angry with the producers and marketing team of Gibli.
½ August 5, 2016
This film looks great and has an excellent soundtrack. Unfortunately, the pacing is snail pace slow, and the story is completely devoid of anything that might even be slightly interesting. Horrendously bad film.
½ July 31, 2016
Ghibli either puts out truly fantastic movies (mostly from Miyazaki) or "meh" movies...From Up On Poppy Hill is (sadly) mostly the latter. Mildly funny, mildly moving, mildly engaging...just a mild experience all around.
½ May 2, 2016
As usual the animation is amazing, however it is not as magical a storyline as many of the studio ghibli films. The story line takes an older child film, and a more historic focus. As an adult I enjoyed it but my 6 year old, who normally loves these was slightly bored sadly!
April 27, 2016
I quite enjoyed this,. You can see Hayao Miyazaki's touch, even if this wasn't all him, it's worth the watch.
December 27, 2015
Packed with fun personality & deep soul (though it doesn't always achieve the animation highs of most Studio Ghibli films), Goro Miyazaki adapts his father's filmmaking skills with a likeable flair of his own.
½ December 24, 2015
A sweet little tale about not having to settle for incest. Ghibli as ever provides edible animation.
November 4, 2015
great farewell film for Mr. miyazaki
½ November 2, 2015
Lovely characters, adorable romance, and killer soundtrack
October 20, 2015
Despite the distracting incestuous story line that gets resolved by the end this is a very beautiful story.
½ October 7, 2015
Stung by the critical drubbing of his directorial debut TALES FROM EARTHSEA, Goro Miyazaki sought his father, the legendary Hayao Miyazaki's assistance for his second film. The end result, FROM UP ON POPPY HILL, isn't quite the classic that many of Studio Ghibli's peers are, but at the very least it's a less confusing and pleasant enough diversion. As always, the animation is beautifully rendered and rich with colors and detail, and the toe-tapping musical score is a plus. And the dubbing is, as per the tradition of a Ghibli movie, extremely well done, with solid performances by everyone involved. It even translates the vocal songs. The storyline, however, may turn off viewers expecting another lively fantasy or something fast-paced. FROM UP ON POPPY HILL skews more toward the contemporary, slow-paced "slice of life" kind of style from WHISPER OF THE HEART. This tale about high school kids who try to save their clubhouse from demolition by politicians mixed with a love story between a shy girl and one of the clubhouse members who may or may not be related to her is not particularly heavy on action and can often move slowly. Despite this, however, the characters are much easier to relate to than the cold, remote counterparts of EARTHSEA, and as mentioned, the film is less convoluted to follow, which is a plus. Time will tell if Goro will eventually find his voice and crawl out of the shadow of his more famous father, but POPPY HILL nonetheless is charming in its own understated way.