Frontrunners - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frontrunners Reviews

December 29, 2013
Entertaining and insightful.
½ October 27, 2010
A documentary following a high school's student council election shouldn't be this compelling. But interesting contenders and a great narration make this film both compelling and entertaining.
August 25, 2010
A very watchable and engaging look at the high school voting system at one of the world's most prestigious high schools, Stuyvesant. The filmmakers were smart to let the students have the spotlight and not intervene or interview them within the film. The movie was easy to relate to without reminding me of all the things in high school that irritated me.
½ May 31, 2010
Cute idea, but of course the filmmakers were limited in what they could make of it by what the kids actually did. Forgettable, but diverting.
April 20, 2010
FRONTRUNNERS is a smart and funny political documentary that follows the student council presidential campaign at one of the country's most prestigious public high schools: Stuyvesant High School in New York City.

An entertaining and symbolic campaign film, put forth in classic verité style, we follow four charming and idiosyncratic candidates as they navigate an electoral process that is said to be one of the most competitive at the high school level. These teenaged candidates face the same issues as candidates of any age, such as picking the 'right' running mate, shaking as many hands as possible, preparing for televised debates, impressing the pundits and journalistic community, addressing sensitive race-related issues, and mobilizing an apathetic voter base.

A microcosm of the U.S. Presidential elections, Caroline Suh's film shows politicking and pluralities through the lens of the adolescent experience.
April 17, 2010
This is a fun documentary. john Hughes meets C Span maybe? Overachieving kids running for high school president. The strongest part of the film is George, this fabulously geeky kid with big ideas and lots of energy running. The film doesn't really do anything other than entertain, but its fun. Maybe Wes Anderson should direct a film based on this one, something akin to Rushmore?
February 3, 2010

January 2, 2010
I liked this doc a lot even though the kids take themselves way too seriously. Even though some of the kids get annoying I found myself drawn in.
October 25, 2009
This is a decent doc. Although I couldn?t get over how annoying these kids were (they are definitely not the kids I wanted to hang out with in school, and I don?t mean just the candidates, the whole school), there is definitely an interesting story behind them. And the process of becoming president is fairly entertaining. I can honestly say I don?t know who the school president was at my graduating high school. I was only really friends with 1 person in student council. It just wasn?t my thing and at the time I thought I would be made fun of for having those friends. However, I think this would have been the same story for this school any year, so it doesn?t have that lucky timing charm.

But it is well made. The filmmakers may find a better subject, and I would definitely watch it, or if it was a subject I was interested in, get excited about it. And the saving grace of the movie is the telling of the history of the school. Interesting stuff.
½ October 19, 2009
not the most profound or original documentary about high school teens. the film really shines with its cast of characters whose idiosyncracies really draw you in - in particular george. all in all, a solid documentary.
October 16, 2009
Great documentary.Shows that elections are just a popularity contest.Wish I had a lounge like that 1 kid when I was in HS
October 3, 2009
Not bad. It wasn't what I expected.
½ August 25, 2009
Endearing, well-produced narrative about the vagaries of high-school politics. SPOILER: The guy who actually ends up winning the Student Union presidency, George Zisiadis, is a vacuous blowhard. It's hard to like him, but the film (and the DVD extras) make it easy to laugh at his inane observations.
½ August 7, 2009
Interesting documentary in which you realize that, no matter what scale the election has, the process is pretty much the same, the platforms are very much alike and a small portion of the electors actually care about what's going on.
July 6, 2009
I saw a trailer for this online a long time ago and was immediately interested to see it. It appeared to have some interesting parallels to real life election psychology and the various phenomena that surrounds democracy. The Frontrunners does not disappoint in that regard. One can see tremendous similarities between this small high-school presidential campaign and a two-year national campaign (extravaganza). I must say, after the first few minutes, I immediately knew which of the four candidates would win the election because I have seen it happen in real elections again and again. So yeah, worth seeing, and pretty well made for what it is.
½ June 7, 2009
A simple look into a student body election at a competitive high school. There's not much tension, drama or weirdness here. The high school is supposed to be full of extraordinary students, but this student election is just as banal as any other.
April 5, 2009
This is not a particularly groundbreaking story, and the ending is pretty predictable, but I just like documentaries about high school. George is just unique enough to be interesting, and just cliche enough to be believable. I kind of had a crush on Michael, and I think Hannah's "Choose the Chicks" thing was adorable. Basically, I just kind of really want to go to Stuyvesant. And Columbia. Unfortunately, I can do neither. Wow I'm depressed.
½ March 31, 2009
A cute entertaining slight doc that has funny little parallels to the McCain/Obama election.
March 8, 2009
great documentary - in the the spirit of Word Wars (see that one too!).