Frownland - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Frownland Reviews

January 17, 2009
I want to see this so much.
January 14, 2009
The movie is terribly annoying and boring, but when I think about it now, I like it more and more. It is roughly about a man who is so insecure, miserable and psychotic that he is unable to communicate and annoys everyone around.
More interesting than the actual movie is that this movie is so repelling to the female population, while guys seem to be more tolerant of it. Quite a few people left the theater during the screening, and ALL of them were girls. There might be several reasons for that.
- The movie is completely absolved from emotions. You feel neither sympathy nor disinclination towards the characters, maybe just disgust.
- The main male character is intentionally made unattractive and the most miserable one in the movie.
- The humor is quite bizarre and often brutal, though there is very little violence in the movie.
Just to make it clear, friend and I were also thinking of leaving the theater after 10min, but we stayed until the end, and I am not sorry about that.
½ September 30, 2008
Un bel ovni, plutôt oppressant, voire agaçant par moment : 4 personnes ont quitté la salle en cours de séance. Il faut dire que le personnage principal, timide maladif, est terriblement bien rendu. Ses tics de langages alourdissent un peu plus ses longs monologues empruntés, saccadés, saturés d'excuses, de remerciements et d'analogies obscures. Comment ne pas être aussi agacé alors que ses proches, d'autant que la caméra ne quitte que rarement un cadrage très serré ? L'ambiance navigue souvent entre pesanteur et dérisoire, lourdeur des paroles et banalité creuse des situations. Mais peu à peu, ces partis-pris extrêmes deviennent doucement fascinants, leur cohérence, leur folie larvée discrètement étirée. Surgissent alors quelques moments magnifiques, comme une scène superbe d'examen noyé dans des élucubrations vaguement philosophiques. Ainsi, un véritable morceau d'indépendance cinématographiques, depuis ces tics fauchés jusqu'à sa profonde personnalité.
½ July 11, 2008
Ronnie Bronstein is a genius.
April 21, 2008
Spent a long time on nothing with intermittent moments of something. Had a lot of potential, but would have been better as a shorter film.
April 8, 2008
a mumblecore horror movies without any bodies. strange, scary and an allegory for hipster New York.
½ March 24, 2008
frustrating, uncomfortable, and just plain incredible. The whole bar sequence ending is simply stunning.
March 16, 2008
This is the best movie I've seen in ages. Heartfelt, uncompromising and harrowing. It deserves a theatrical release and I hope Bronstein continues making movies. The scene where the roommate goes to test for the job was hilarious, a perfect NYC scene. Bravo.
March 15, 2008
Strong cumulative effect that makes up for a lot of frustration and meandering. Still, I've never felt so trapped in a diegetic world, and experiencing how trapped the main character is throws one hell of a punch.
March 12, 2008
Blistering schizo masterpiece.
½ March 11, 2008
Often funny but very odd, confusing and frustrating. It's like really really alternative rock, but as an alternative film - it edges close to working and doesn't quite get there.
½ March 9, 2008
Words cannot describe my happiness at knowing a movie like this exists in the world. Two days after seeing it, I'm still fixated on its brilliance. It's only running for one week at the IFC center, so please go support this amazing work!