Fruitvale Station - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fruitvale Station Reviews

January 31, 2016
Sad and moving without a place for us to go further and a big tragedy wrapped in a little story...tension builds in every scene (no matter how slow) leads us to the end we dread.

As most every scene as a picture frame of what's important
in the day in the life of a guy turning himself around,
less than stellar direction and writing, sometimes pulls tension away from the ever present Titanic-like 'he almost made it'/ultimate demise' scenario.

Witnessing more his destiny rather than his life beginning, beautifully placed flashbacks help balance the WHY he's moving forward in his life
and where he's not yet reached. A tough balance of empathizing with the character, without necessarily liking him, Fruitvale Station ultimately leaves us saying,
'we do care'
January 30, 2016
Wow. Starts slow, but the character development was so powerful.
January 27, 2016
This powerful account of the last 24 hours of Oscar Grant, a black man needlessly gunned down by the police at the titular train station, is an incredible film. Featuring an outstanding performance from Michael B. Jordan; the directorial debut of acclaimed director Ryan Coogler (Creed, Black Panther) is a high achievement.
January 25, 2016
With Michael B. Jordan as the main role, he gives Fruitvale Station the ability to overview one of the most tragic, yet powerful stories ever told.
½ January 24, 2016
Ryan Coogler sheds light on a real life tragic event not commonly known. The precipitous opening title sequence with the eerie fading of the crowd reaction made progression towards the end more gut-wrenching. My only gripe is the finale which contains the all-too-conventional footage of the real life characters. Nonetheless, Fruitvale Station is a hard-hitting, concise, greatly acted "film" that's more than a film, but an emotional experience vivid enough to make viewers feel like they're next to Oscar Grant in his final hours.
January 22, 2016
Efficient, moving, outrage-inducing snapshot of police violence on black youth in America.
January 18, 2016
Before watching this movie, I only knew the basic facts around Oscar Grant's murder at Fruitvale Station in 2009. This movie may not be what you expect (at least it wasn't what I expected.) It's about Oscar's last full day alive: New Year's Eve, 2008.

The movie follows him as he wakes up with his girlfriend, shops for his mother's birthday dinner, and celebrated New Year's before being shot on the train platform of Fruitvale Station.

This is truly a gripping movie filled with excellent acting and is worth an hour and a half of your time.
January 17, 2016
Sad and powerful movie. Ryan Coogler is a great director and Michael B Jordan is amazing #blacklivesmatter
January 16, 2016
Excellent in almost every way. Sad and lacking a traditional narrative though.
January 15, 2016
Fruitvale Station is fantastic debut for both Michael B Jordan and Ryan Coogler who are sure to both become rising stars in the near future.

Rating: 7.9 (B+)
January 14, 2016
I haven't cried like this in a while.
January 8, 2016
I think more than a testament to the well known real life event, this is a testament to how mature and talented Ryan Coogler was even coming out of film school. A lot of people at his level would make style-over-substance flicks emulating a certain director or writer. But I can already tell that he's got his own distinct style. It makes sense that he made Creed just as impeccably as this.
January 3, 2016
Couldn't finish knew what was coming. Otherwise a very well made movie
January 1, 2016
Heart wrenching day in the life off told without any flashy or overly political agenda apart from showing how an ordinary family can be destroyed in one single simple Incedent. Should be seen by more people and got a lot more media coverage for its message. Seems more important in 2015 after the Black Lives Matter campaigns of the last year
½ December 31, 2015
Really good...and this kind of thing is still happening......just like in Chicago.
December 30, 2015
It would be easy to dismiss this film as one-sided in its sympathetic portrayal of flawed-but-genuine nice guy Oscar versus power-drunk uniformed whites but the tragic thing is: it's probably pretty accurate. Powerful and heartbreaking. Highly recommended.
½ December 29, 2015
Sickening. A must see.
December 28, 2015
Great but very sad movie of a 22yr old black young man who lost his life by da hands of a cop who mistook his gun for his teaser... #RipOscar
December 26, 2015
This was amazing and sad and everything in between. Incredibly relevant for today.
December 21, 2015
This kid has got range. The subject matter is enough to make your blood boil.