Fu Zi (After This Our Exile) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fu Zi (After This Our Exile) Reviews

½ April 6, 2015
Patrick Tam's New Wave revisit. Alrightee in general.
½ February 18, 2015
slow plodding look at a DISFUNCTIONAL family. and as a sidebar who would name their child Boy?/ WTF what happens when they r grown up?
April 19, 2012
Doesn't seem interesting.
December 9, 2011
Heavily tense drama, emotionally ravaging
March 25, 2011
I think all asian men would envy Aaron Kwok after watching this. A very dark movie though. Portrays Malaysia in a rather worn out way.
½ July 1, 2010
It s very challenging in how far it goes to show that a lazy father can sacrifice his son--and a mum simply abandon him-, making it a really depressing movie, but an interesting one because the redemption you would expect never comes. there is no happy ending, and it is admirable, if wrenching, for that reason.
loved the cinematography and the Malaysian background. The furniture in the family house is great, and is already shown with the right lighting, but thought the sex scenes were a bit over the top.
May 24, 2010
This movie makes me feel hopeless. But the story may be close to some parts of the reality in some places.
½ April 17, 2010
I‚??ve never watched anything by Patrick Tam before, so I didn‚??t know what to expect, but if you wanted to see a collection of sad and desperate human beings without the director inserting the obligatory ‚??Look here, sympathise with them!‚?? moments, you get them all here. His hands off approach may be frustrating to some, and because I watched the Director‚??s Cut (clocking in at a somewhat overly long 2 hours and 40 minutes) the meandering plot isn‚??t always transparent or emotionally charged, and in fact seems to go in one interminable circle at times, for you don‚??t see sudden or visible character growth. But it‚??s very much like the director‚??s forward ‚?? if some part of it touches you, it‚??s a success. Charlie Yeung is all right; Ng King To didn‚??t show as much ‚??mindblowing‚?? depth as I expected from him, given his success at the HKFA and Golden Horse Awards, but still a very endearing performance; Aaron Kwok is really good, much better than all the other times he overacts with textbook efficiency, and dare I say, he deserved his Golden Horse.
February 24, 2010
Well...the kid is 'okay' but not exceptional. What's the teaching of this movie anyway? The relationship between 'Father and son' is not well carried. Just tailor-made a role for Aaron and the kid...Á?ļŚ??Ť??Ś??..
November 22, 2009
Aaron Kwok is GOOD in this movie.
½ October 26, 2009
Film gak jelas. Tentang keluarga yang retak, kekerasan rumah tangga oleh sang ayah, ibunya minggat, anaknya diajarin jadi pencuri sama bapaknya.
August 31, 2009
Excellent story, scenes and most of all acting! Such good story and acting to demonstrate what an awful father Aaron was and the love his son has for him! A must watch movie!
½ August 9, 2009
Sad story about 2 adults ruining their son's childhood. It is a good movie, but it won't make you feel good.
July 4, 2009
I think it was a good show actually, I mean, its shoot in Malaysia, which is my country, so I am kind of proud of it, and it takes place in a sleepy town of Perak, somewhere near Ipoh (the building structure is obvious).

You don't get to see Aaron Kwok performing such role in movies (he has boyish looks, so he doesn't really get serious roles), and look at his face! He's got that loser face in the movie, which suits the character well, and that lavish-foul-mouthed-talking is a typical 'bad father' in Malaysia (no offense, but this is true).

Charlie Yeung features a sick-looking-but-caring mother, trying to 'recover' her mistakes by fleeing from misery, hmm....actually I think the show would be better if she's not in the movie, haha! Sorry Charlie, big fan of yours, but not in this show. (I taut of maybe her role should be a flash back, whereby Aaron Kwok sort of recall his 'happy' times with her, maybe she should be a character which passed away not long, and Aaron is living in misery, that sort of stuff, haha!)

The son is the center role, the heart of the show. The word 'Ah Boy' is a typical calling for 'son' in Malaysia. I think the son should get the awards more, haha!

I don't really like the editing, its jumpy, should have polished it better.

Other than that, I think its quite a good show for an independent film.
June 30, 2009
In a whole the story is not touching. Just a pair of selfish parents and a timid child. The performance of all the actors and actress, sorry to put it in that way, terribly unnatural. But not Aaron Kwok. King-to Ng was nothing special, especially when you put Yuya Yariga uinto the comparison. However, I loved the Piano Trio Op.50 from Tchaikovsky too much and the photographies of Malaysia is simply beautiful.
May 27, 2009
Very touching and disturbing. Aaron Kwok is incredible in this diffcult role of a lousy father and the young Boy is very very touching as his neglected son. Somes scenes are really moving and revolting!
May 23, 2009
It's somewhat slow in the first half of the movie but when it gets going it becomes pretty nice and engaging. Father-son relations put a lot of issues worth dramatizing. Great sequences for both the father and the son and, wow, what a beautiful Malaysian small town (which I believe it's set in).
March 22, 2009
It's not convincing at some point of time. Why the son can be so blind to the dad's faults and din go back to his mum when he is forced to steal. Why the mum din even bother to look him up when he's in the boys' home. Why the dad can change in the last minute of the movie when he is one of those people who will never change.

It feels kinda draggy and boring at times, knowing that the story is not going anywhere except to show the extent of how bad the dad can be. And how the son is still sticking to the dad no matter what. Think this movie is over-hyped. To think this has won golden horse award for best actor, best supporting actor and best film.

Set those aside, the resemblence between the grown-up son and aaron kwok is uncanny!
January 28, 2009
excellent performance from Aaron Kwok!
½ January 13, 2009
This overrated flick stars Aaron Kwok as a gamblin' father. Kwok plays a character so despicable that I probably would have cheered at his various misfortunes had I not spent most of the movie bored to tears and flatulence.

The plot crawls along like mucus dripping from sick cow's nose, which might still be more entertaining than wasting 2.5 hours watching Fu Zi. Needless to say, I was extremely disappointed. I can't believe this thing won awards.

One star for the son, for managing to overact and still appear somewhat adoreable, half a star for the unnecessary, gratuitous sex scene for managing to be graphic without showing any tits or ass. Bravo!