Fu Zi (After This Our Exile) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fu Zi (After This Our Exile) Reviews

December 10, 2008
no thanks not my kinda thing
September 12, 2008
On a second viewing, I warmed up a little to the movie that won a slew of Hong Kong Film Awards like Best Director and Best Picture (and probably Biggest Asshole Award and Most Disorienting Sex Scene Award.) I liked it a little better after closure scrutiny on its filmmaking. Really, itā??s not that bad of a movie. The cinematography is excellent, the performances are pretty well all around, and the script is decent. Some scenes really shine from a directorial and editorial standpoint. And I felt a little more sympathy to the dad. I came to notice that even though he is the Biggest Asshole, he realizes this and although he wishes for things to be better, human nature causes him to be bad again. Itā??s really sad to watch, especially when he starts to break down. I really like the ending too, how it replays everything.

However, there are still a few things that hold the movie back from being terrific. The editing, although great in some places, gets unnecessarily jerky at points. Sometimes it feels like the movie needs to breathe. The director also makes odd choices in both editing and in how he presents the scene. Some of it makes sense, some it detracts from the story. Some of the best scenes are the ones that stop and reflect. Also the story drags around the middle and some of the characters couldā??ve used some fleshing out. And although itā??s integral to the story, the father couldā??ve been a little less of a selfish asshole. Really, itā??s almost obnoxious. And I really donā??t like the sentimental musical score.

Not a bad Hong Kong drama, with some great sequences, performances, and cinematography. And itā??s an interesting character study, but it gets bogged down by some odd choices, jerky editing, and, well, an asshole.
September 7, 2008
The acting was overrated. Nevertheless, still a nice little movie that offers moments that should tug at the heartstrings of viewers who have had to deal with difficulties in their relationships with their parents (I guess that would include most, if not all of us).
August 25, 2008
This one never quite gets its stride and there's not much to root for in the selfish protagonist. Plus there's the nagging feeling of being dully manipulated as the child, "Boy," has one abuse after another heaped on him with very little narrative momentum. Add to that some surprisingly dramatic musical cues that don't quite mesh and a quietly masochistic ending...well, not my cup of tea. Cinematography was nice though. Is this what passes for Hong Kong melodrama?
July 28, 2008
Overrated by media, Aaron Kwok is not that well in this movie...
July 22, 2008
very disappointed. I don't think Aaron Kwok worth to hv any awards by dis film. I can say dis is poor acting for both Aaron and Charlie! Poor voice and fake emotion. The rythmn of the story isn't good as well. Low tension. Wt a shame...Even Tam is a good director...I can't agree wiv him
June 25, 2008
062608:
The kid was exceptional.
June 7, 2008
Wish the ending was more satisfying but still held my interest throughout. All and all a good film.
June 5, 2008
Not interested in watching this.
May 1, 2008
Wow, got M'sian stail....Is it Ipoh?
March 10, 2008
This movie is too artistic for me. It has some really crazy part, but it has a touching moment.
½ February 28, 2008
aaron was very good, charlie yeung was good too - she does not do enough movies these days
½ February 17, 2008
(DVD Nov 2007) (DVD Feb 2008)
February 3, 2008
Doesn't seem interesting.
January 29, 2008
Aaron Kwok are doing the same old thing
January 23, 2008
very good. it's suprising that Hong Kong can produce such a good movie!!!, AAron is quite good in this film!!!
½ January 21, 2008
Brutal movie, save for the tacked on ending. Great cinematography and editing. Tam used quick, abrupt, out of sequence shots to film scenes of passion and violence. He also used wide shots of nature that would just linger. It was really quite lovely. The scoring was superfluously melodramatic, but that's endemic to HK cinema, so I can't fault it for that.
January 21, 2008
I would give it a 5 but I watched this just after Lust, Caution and they are on different playing fields.
Nonetheless, this is a fantastic story with wonderful acting all round, even the cameo roles of the Hotel and Coffee Shop uncles.
It is a REAL story, where the ending is not always a happy one. I liked that it ended the way it did because that's how life is. You can reach a realisation and resolve your emotions without confrontation. Parents make bad decisions sometimes but they are not to be begrudged. They just do the best they can with what they know and their limited understanding of what should be done makes them behave a certain way or make certain decisions. When the decisions made are wrong, pain sometimes follows but then, we just move on.
January 21, 2008
The best film of a decade, well ahead of its time and place
January 13, 2008
Maybe one of the best movies I've ever seen! Simply wonderful in all ways. Sensational acting, brilliant script and a scenography that lacks nothing! A mustsee for everybody, not just those who like Tim Burton.