Fun & Fancy Free - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fun & Fancy Free Reviews

November 9, 2016
"Fun & Fancy Free" is exactly what its title suggests, but its lightheartedness and warmth can only carry its 2 overlong stories so far.
½ August 12, 2016
The Disney animators step up their package film game here and improve slightly on the genre. Narrowing the segment-count down to two short films, Fun and Fancy Free has a lot more substance and worthwhile storytelling to offer and some catchier musical numbers. Even the theme song isn't that bad. Still, it's far from good; the story of Bongo the circus bear has its moments but there's nothing new to audiences about the short film. It is however great seeing Donald, Goofy and Mickey together for the first time in a feature length (sort of) film and Mickey and the Beanstalk is a fun experience. The live action sequences that narrate the second half are definitely unnecessary and puppets must have been much more popular in the past cause in the film they're downright unsettling.
½ July 27, 2016
Fun and Fancy Free is an enjoyable movie. I like the two stories in the movie but I prefer the Mickey and the Beanstalk story more.
½ July 15, 2016
An uplifting and sweet animated package film that combines music and narrative in ways superior to Make Mine Music, Disney's previous effort, and has two very nice stories - too long for shorts and too short for features - that are worth our time.
June 24, 2016
Ah I remembered this underrated gem, good times. Still holds up today
April 30, 2016
I thought this movie was not all that fantastic, in fact some parts I think don't make sense, but with that said the two animated stories I think are not so bad. Nothing very memorable, but It's got some moments.
½ March 5, 2016
Probably the most random of Disney's package films. It's uneven and doesn't really jell together well, but I still enjoyed it. Jiminy Cricket is always a jolly welcome addition to any Disney feature. I also especially like the classic Mickey and the Beanstalk segment. (First viewing - 3/1/2009)
January 17, 2016
Not exactly fun or fancy free, and I didn't like the most of it. It was dumb and weird and directionless. However I really enjoyed Mickey's Jack and the Beanstalk, even though that was pretty odd. Puppets are weird and creepy but Edgar Bergen was pretty good I'll admit.
January 11, 2016
A classic disney animation telling two tales, one of a bear in a travelling circus and the other is mickey and the beanstalk. Set up differently to other disney films, fun and fancy free is a narrative story telling of two separate stories. A great film that shows just how far disney has come.
½ December 26, 2015
"Bears say it with a slap," and Donald Duck at the start of Micky and the Beanstalk are kinda weird. Would have been interesting to see them as full length feature films.
½ December 19, 2015
When considering that it was added merely to tie two altogether different shorts together, it is a bit of an irony that the live action parts are the most amusing in the mostly-animated film. The story of "Bongo" is sweet, but even at its short length it seems to drag just a bit at times, and not necessarily during the 'lazy countryside' bits. "Mickey and the Beanstalk" suffers from a similar problem, though it becomes less noticeable as the slow, familiar narrative is aided by the comical remarks of Edgar Bergen's ventriloquist dummies Charlie and Mortimer. The rest, be it animation, humor, song, etc. all are top-notch, even if the sugary-sweet Luana Patten is as Temple-esque as ever.
December 9, 2015
While presenting two, longer Disney shorts in this particular picture seems to work better than the previous, 'chunkier' WWII-era effort, Make Mine Music, the connective material staring Jiminy Cricket and Edgar Bergen (among others) is still a bit odd. Perhaps this footage is necessary to pad out the length of the presentation, but once again, the appearance of these guest characters is very random and distracting. Obviously, the individual shorts themselves are terrific Disney staples (Mickey and the Beanstalk and Bongo the Bear). The short sequence depicting the growing beanstalk in the Mickey short is particularly enjoyable.
½ June 21, 2015
The film doesn't have enough spark too it.
½ April 4, 2015
The name is Cricket, J. Cricket.

Jiminy Cricket tells two short stories in this film. The first is about a bear that escapes from the circus and wants to try and survive in the wild on his own. As he looks to make a new home, he also meets a girl who could be the love of his life...if it wasn't for her nasty boyfriend. The second story is about a group of poor friends that reside in a shack and have to trade their last cow for food; instead of food, they obtain magic beans. They throw the beans out in an argument and a beanstalk grows leading to a magic kingdom. Will the friend's luck change?

"She knows the giant's weakness."
"She could be my weakness."

Seven magnificent classic Disney directors collaborate to delivers this gem. The storylines in this picture are very well done, thought out, illustrated, and executed. The musical scores are also brilliant and the plots are fun to watch unfold. The voices fit the characters perfectly.

"They're certainly out of the high rent district."

My daughter received this picture as part of a three film Disney classic blu ray collection. This was a very well done animated feature that had my daughter giggling all the way through. She was genuinely excited and loved every minute of this film. This is an underrated gem that is worth having in your collection.

"Bears like to say it with a slap."

Grade: A-
February 17, 2015
This is a confusing and crazy movie. Why is Jiminy Cricket even in this?
February 17, 2015
The two shorts are quite fun but don't have anything in common and do not follow the premise of the film's presentation at all, thus feeling really weird :$
December 19, 2014
Made during a period when the Disney studio was recovering from the losses brought about by the war its two short stories and neither of which match the studios early efforts. That said these two shorts still offer plenty of fun and while it has a dated feel to it I'm sure kids today can still find plenty to enjoy some 70 years after their release
November 18, 2014
Yet another Disney anthology picture of sorts, Fun and Fancy Free combines the tale of Bongo with Mickey and the Beanstalk via a wraparound from Jiminy Cricket.
TV audiences would probably know each tale better separately as they played often enough without the complete cricket wraparound but together this film forms yet another decent group of shorts from an era when Disney was a master of them. Mickey and the Beanstalk especially is quite memorable not only due to the selection of main characters but because of the well known children's tale.
Whether taken in pieces or as a whole, Fun and Fancy Free is an enjoyable animated piece of Disney history.
½ November 2, 2014
- This film, which is actually 2 shorts combined, is the last time Walt Disney voiced Mickey. it started production in 1940 and was released in 1947. The stories are decent, but I didn't think anything special. Still a worthwhile watch for Disney fans though.
½ August 29, 2014
It's not inherently bad, it's just that its appeal has not survived the test of time like other Disney movies.