Fun With Dick and Jane - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fun With Dick and Jane Reviews

½ October 24, 2016
A guide on how to get through during unemployment.

I thought I have seen almost all the films of Jim Carrey, but then I found that's not true, so I decided to start with this. This is a remake of the 70s film or you could say the second screen adaptation of the novel of the same name. I haven't seen the other version, but I must admit that I enjoyed it thoroughly. This is not the greatest comedy I have ever seen, but still so good with great performances, particularly Jim Carrey's.

A simple storyline, a couple loses their jobs and they find hard to get another. They begin to lose one by one, everything that belongs to them and finally the house is the last thing they want to lose. So they plan to do something very serious thing to tackle their situation and seems its working out so well, but for how long. Then comes their masterplan to the permanent solution and how they accomplish it is what leads to the conclusion.

The film was so fast, feels too short or like a TV episode. That means makes us to feel to have more, but it ends very nice way. The story might feel silly, but the comedies are so good. And if you like Jim Carrey and his trademark jokes, then you would have a great time. Truly, I haven't seen a good comedy from the recent time releases, so I'm happy I saw this, even though it is a decade old. There's no serious negative stuffs in it like drugs, sex or nudity, so I think it is okay for family viewing.

October 17, 2016
Typical fun Jim Carrey movie.
September 14, 2016
Hilarious! Added to my all time favorite movies!
½ July 29, 2016
Good funny crime comedy, Better than the critics are saying, Nothing new but Jims humour keeps it fresh.
April 4, 2016
this movie was not even funny
March 2, 2016
Fun with Dick and Jane? Not really.
February 20, 2016
Seriously don't understand the low rating for this movie ... It's actually quite funny. So much so, I have gone back to watch it a few times!
January 23, 2016
Not seen it yet, but heard it wasn't that incredible.
½ January 3, 2016
Jim Carrey doesn't believe in vaccinations. He and his movies are idiotic
December 26, 2015
Utter perfection and mastery
½ November 22, 2015
Pretty hilarious and emotional at the same time
August 10, 2015
The laughs are scarce and interest wains quickly.
½ July 30, 2015
This film has a strong first act, then loses itself in the second and third.
½ July 26, 2015
Fun with Dick and Jane is a good Jim Carrey movie, but it surprisingly lacks the amount of humor present in other "recent" Jim Carrey movies such as Bruce Almighty and Yes Man. On this second viewing of the film I found myself engaged in the story to the point that I was not necessarily upset that this movie wasn't was funny as I expected.

This movie has an unusually long first act for a comedy. Jim Carrey plays Dick Harper, who works at a company run by Jack McCallister (Alec Baldwin with an atrocious southern accent) and Dick gets promoted right before the company goes bankrupt due to McCallister's embezzlement, which no officials realize even though it is so obvious. The titular couple, Dick and Jane, has to deal with financial hardships since Jane quits her job after Dick's promotion, leaving no breadwinners in the house once the company Dick works for goes bankrupt. It may only take about half an hour, but it seems like a good forty or forty-five minutes for Dick and Jane to get to the point of the movie: the two of them robbing banks.

It is enjoyable to watch the couple go from terrible to expert level at the task of robbing money. The segment that deals with the first night Dick tries to rob people shows how pathetic Dick comes across to start, first stealing only a slurpee, then finding himself in weird situations while robbing other stores which includes helping an elderly woman to walk back to her car, and suddenly the excitement hits when the two of them rob a neon-lit shop once Dick explains they will get evicted the next day if they don't obtain the money.

It is humorous to see the two act like regular people in the process of robbing, one example being when they order specific drinks at a coffee shop while robbing the place.

The second half of the movie seems to go by really quickly, and we find the third act of the film to be more about getting back at McCallister than obtaining a large sum of money, which is a nice turn. When I first saw this film I assumed the couple would just run off with the $400 million McCallister had in his accounts, but Dick and Jane donating the money to the people who worked with Dick seemed a lot more fitting for the light comedy that it was.

Though the film could have used more humor and its tone could have been more consistent, Fun With Dick and Jane is a delight to watch since it is a great underdog story that is very easy to watch.
½ June 26, 2015
I actually really liked this movie despite the reviews from critics. Jim Carrey was great and funny. It also had a really good storyline to it.
June 25, 2015
Remake, don't like Jane (11, 12, 14, June 2015) ABC Family
½ June 22, 2015
Frank Bascom (Richard Jenkins): Do you have any idea what I had to go through to get that form?
Dick Harper (Jim Carrey): No, let me guess, a fifth of SCOTCH?

I normally don't really care for Jim Carrey's style of humor but I have to admit that some of his films are kind funny but only when he manages to the keep the antics down the bare minimum. He has surprisingly good chemistry with on-screen wife, Jane (played by the always gorgeous Téa Leoni). Of course, much of the films appeal is because the likeable couple plays opposite an equally likeable villain like Alec Baldwin. Overall, the film was fun, interesting and came to a pretty satisfying conclusion. So, not a bad way to waste an hour and half of your life.
½ June 13, 2015
Absolutely better than I had expected!! it is rather good!
½ June 8, 2015
Pretty good movie. Wasn't that funny just enjoyed the story. Didn't hurt that Tea Leoni was in it! Big Jim Carrey fan and he didn't letdown here!
May 17, 2015
Not one Jim Carrey's best movies...