Funeral Home Reviews

• Nov 17, 2015

Decent Canadian slasher horror movie about a funeral home turned into a bed and breakfast. Guests go missing and no one is allowed in the basement. All of this is centered around Heather's missing grandfather. Acting is passable, but not remarkable. Actually you can say that about every aspect of this movie...not remarkable. But not bad either.

• Sep 16, 2015

This one is pretty middle of the road as far as horror goes, but it's got a few fun moments peppered throughout, and the bumbling local yokel deputy is worth a few laughs. Rental, at best.

• Apr 15, 2015

I don't know why this had an anniversary edition made or even why it's considered a horror movie. Yes, it had an old funeral home in it, but so what?

• Nov 02, 2014

• Oct 12, 2014

Funeral Home (aka 2 Cries in the Night) is one of the more boring "slasher" movies from the 80's that I've yet to come across. This is one that I had been looking for to too, mainly because of the poster. I didn't know the plot going in, but it winds up being, more or less, a Psycho clone. A young girl goes to stay with her grandmother in an old funeral home that they are repairing and attempting to turn into a bed-and-breakfast, but things go bad when the guests start getting bumped off one by one. And by "start" I mean that no one bites it until thirty minutes into this 90 minute movie. People like to call this atmospheric and slow-moving, but I just call it slow. There's no atmosphere to this, in my opinion. It's just a series of scenes that lead up to the Psycho-inspired conclusion, which is incredibly predictable right from the start. This movie makes little to no sense most of the time and is just tedious to get through. It's a shame too because the poster for this movie is amazing, but it's just a blatant lie. This is not a good movie, and I can't say I'd recommend it to anyone at all.

• Apr 02, 2014

There isn't enough going on, the characters are bland and the ideas aren't too new. There some nice mood, a little chill, and some decent bits, but otherwise it gets unwatchable and dull.

• Alex r Super Reviewer
    Mar 30, 2014

Made during the height of the Slasher craze, Funeral Home is an obscured gem of the genre, one that is decent, but never remarkable either. The ideas here are quite good, but the problem is, is that the film's script lacks in terms of truly inventive ideas, and it ends up being your standard Slasher film. The film takes its time to build up, and I guess that's a good thing because it does manage to set the stage for what is to come. Genre fans will enjoy this, but those who are seeking a more elaborate Slasher will most likely be disappointed. This is your typical Slasher formula and it should satisfy genre fans or any viewer looking for obscured titles in the genre. The cast aren't memorable and the performances are mediocre at best. However if you can get past that, you might like this. Slasher films aren't known for their performances, the kills are good here and it terms of idea for a Slasher film, I think the fact that they set up the story in a Funeral Home was pretty good, and definitely was an idea that had the potential of being so much more than what turned out to be. Funeral Home is a decent film in the genre that is mostly for true genre enthusiasts. The film has its flaws, but nonetheless it works well enough if enjoy these types of movies. In 1980 there had been countless Slasher films, and this one should be seen, even if it is a low budget, tongue in cheek affair, fans might like this one due to its concept, but it does leave a lot to be desired, and it definitely could have been much better, but nonetheless this is a decent Slasher, and it is better than many films released during this period.

• Nov 03, 2013

Sooner than later, you WILL be meeting the undertaker--A fun updated version of Hitchcock's Psycho!!

• Oct 30, 2012

Mill Creek's 50 Movie Pack: Chilling Classics Reviews FUNERAL HOME [1980]: A mildly decent if not totally forgettable Canadian Made horror film which involves a funeral home. The film sees said home becoming the home of a young woman returning to the small town where her Grandma now runs the former Funeral Home as a Bed & Breakfast. However since it's a "horror" film the Home starts to see the disappearance of the Guests without any explanation. With a climax that feels too much like a blatant rip off of Hitchcock's 1960 masterpiece of suspense, PSYCHO. A generic romantic sub plot does not help the film not coming cross as a bad bit of filmmaking, just a very average horror feature. My rating for this long forgotten film is a solid 50%.

• Aug 16, 2012

merely ok and that is being really kind. Drags a lot, typical cliched early 80s horror.