Funeral Kings - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Funeral Kings Reviews

October 2, 2015
Its a fun movie about some kids who like to get into trouble. Some of it is hilarious.
September 18, 2015
Funeral Kings is a movie that i happened to find on Netflix with nothing else to watch, so i gave it a chance It had like 4.1 stars in Netflix so i figured check it out and to be honest it was pretty good. Funeral Kings is about two 14 year old altar boys who like to steal wine, skip school and smoke cigarettes. They both really just want to hook up with some older girls and get themselves into trouble. they acquire a chest full of goods that they need to get open and when they do they find a gun that they want to play with, but they need to find bullets for the gun which is basically the base of all the problems they run into as well as trying to watch R rated movies. Its a pretty good look at the way today's kids looks to be more adult and like and emulate the things they see on TV at a much younger age then when we were kids especially in smaller towns and cities. I found the acting to be pretty good especially for a cast made up of mostly children, the stand out by far was Alex Maizus as Charlie Waters who just killed it as the kid with the big mouth that every adult knows they hate, hahaha. i also liked Charles Kwame Odei in his smaller role. The directing in the movie was pretty good, the story and writing were also pretty good i loved the slow motion scenes after they did something bad ass. overall i say this movie is worth a watch, especially if you have Netflix and have run out of things to watch.

6/10
June 23, 2015
After all this time, I saw this back in early 2013. This movie is still in my top 10. Great, true to life. You don't want this movie to end. I'm so happy I saw it, I just wish I could've saw it in theaters. I recommend to everyone, this perfect coming of age flick.
½ February 26, 2015
A tried-but-true account of growing up in an overtly religious setting, only one that's a bit more realistically bawdy and smartly shot than others. Would have benefitted from being a bit longer though, as a few of it's sub-plots feel underdeveloped.
February 24, 2015
Funeral Kings isn't great, but it is a solid indie film with a fun throwback vibe. The entire time I was watching this I felt like it could have been from the 80s, right along the lines of Stand By Me and The Goonies. Obviously, this doesn't come close to touching those classics, but I did enjoy it. It's that typical story of a group of kids finding themselves in trouble, but with a more vulgar twist to it. I enjoyed watching these foul-mouthed kids interact, and at times it reminded me of my friends at that age. It feels fairly realistic, but the acting is pretty bad at times. Unfortunately that really hurt the film for me, especially when the story is all about these child actors. The payoff also feels a bit lackluster, especially when compared to those other films I've mentioned. That being said, I did like this movie. It's got some good things going on and I'd definitely revisit it.
August 4, 2014
Nice movie, but I expected better!
½ May 17, 2014
Okay, so where do I begin? Is this film bad? No, it's nicely made. Is this film boring? No, it keeps itself entertaining. Is this film not funny? No, I laughed a lot. So what exactly makes Funeral Kings not so good? It's a pretty realistic portrayal of middle school kids, and I think while that's it's greatest asset, it's also it's downfall. Funeral Kings reminds me a lot of a previous film I watched, Bullhead. Plot points are dropped and it's tonal shifts are somewhat grating. I found it to be a disappointment. Funeral Kings is about the life of 2 middleschoolers, who are also alter boys. Due to this, they can get out of school earlier than everyone else and attend a funeral. Once the funeral is done, they usually skip class. And on one day, a new member joins the group and turns out to be an actor. And that's as much of the plot I can explain cause after that, this film turns randomly to different plot points, one involving a gun they find and a pretty predictable outcome...

It's basically a mix of Superbad and Stand By Me. Hell, the last half is reminiscent of Stand by Me while the first half is Superbad. Therein lies the first problem: It doesn't know whether it wants to be a serious coming-of-age film, or a comedic one. That leads to some jarring tonal shifts. One moment, you are laughing. The next, you feel sad. Now, it handles both moments excellently when looked at as individual scenes, but when combined, it really hurts the film. I'm very confused as to what they were going for. Then, there are the constant plot points being dropped. I get it. It's supposed to be gritty and realistic. No one in their right mind would return to a drug dealer's dungeon, but that's the difference between a movie and real life. Movies are meant to be escapism or help us cope with something personal. I'm not sure about other people's lives, but mines did not include a drug dealing dungeon. I would have loved a little closure on that. Then, there's the fact that the plot points that are given closure, aren't satisfying enough. I mean, we only get one line of dialogue as to what happened to something.

The acting was good and I liked the realistic dialogue but the plot was almost nonexistent. It wasn't much of a comedy but it wasn't much of a drama either. There was no life lessons learnt and when the young boys were presented with a possible life changing situation, nothing really came of it. I just found that by the end, I wondered how this could be a full length movie. A short film maybe, but not a full length film. There was not enough substance for that. It was scattered as many reviewers mentioned but this was not a good thing. I would skip this one. Even more disappointing, I rented it as a new release and got home and found it was on Netflix for free. Only rated 3 stars on there.

Overall, Funeral Kings is an okay film. It's funny, dramatic, and entertaining. But it strives to be a Superbad/Stand By Me combination. There are much better coming-of-ages films, like the two I just mentioned. It's frequent plot points being dropped is kind of a downer, and as a result, it doesn't feel cinematic. I know that's not what it was going for, but it needs to close off some of them. With that being said, there are many good things to note from this film. The main actors are pretty good in their roles, especially Dylan Hartigan, who outshines everyone else. The cinematography is passable, given it's not a big budgeted film. And the dialogue is witty at times, though sometimes they just throw in the word "fuck" for the fuck of it. So, would I recommend it? Eh.... maybe if you have nothing to do. But that's pushing it.
February 21, 2014
Scattered, fairly boring, borderline unlikable, and unsure of itself only knowing that it wants to be somewhere between Superbad and Stand By Me. It's like they tried to make live action South Park and failed to get the humor, tone, or absurdity of it correct. The most interesting part of it all is probably that there are two sisters in the movie named Amanda and Lindsay, which are the names of my sisters. Whoa. So intriguing.
February 16, 2014
You could name this Stand By Me 2 - it is a great story and excellent acting!
½ December 9, 2013
A true coming-of-age story by showing what's really on kids' minds.
December 6, 2013
The acting is actually pretty solid and the filmmakers show some promise, but the movie runs out of things to say in a matter of minutes and the middle-schoolers-cursing gimmick quickly loses its appeal
November 15, 2013
Light-hearted and fun. Worth checking out.
September 2, 2013
Fun and entertaining. The young actors in this film are great and funny!
½ August 31, 2013
The three main teens give phenomenal performances yet maintain realism. It is a shame the plot did not extend to its full potential.
August 30, 2013
An indie coming-of-age movie.
August 17, 2013
With a Tomatometer of 88% I expected better, but there were parts that were especially endearing if you grew up boy in suburbia America.
½ August 16, 2013
The description "it's always a good day for a funeral" is pretty contrived but it's true enough that the boys take advantage of skipping school to pretend to be more worldly than they are. It's a more modern coming of age story but still is the same basic story. Kids act like they are tough and mature but find themselves in over their heads and get a reality check when they get put in their place. I agree with what others said about you seeing interesting plot lines start but never followed through with it, especially with the former alter boy getting in trouble with the drug dealers. So the point of that is we are supposed to guess that is where the boys lives are headed...there was a line in there somewhere about choosing who you want to be in life. The biggest element of suspense was guessing who was going to get shot because you totally see it coming the first time they see the gun in the trunk. I actually hoped it would be one of the main two characters and admitting that oddly enough doesn't make me feel guilty.
½ August 11, 2013
***SPOILER ALERT*** I love coming of age movies and this one involves Catholic altar boys. It reminded me a little of the movie "Stand By Me." I was all ready to give it 3.5 stars until they shot the dog. The ending was terribly unsatisfying.
August 8, 2013
This was supposed to become an American copy of Scandinavian cinema. The story by itself has a good potential but director failed to combine an artistic cinema with his desire of Hollywood B movies.
LWOODS04
August 8, 2013
It's a funny adolescent film. The boys in the movie are really good in this.
The two boys, Charlie and Andy take the job as altar boys at their school so they can get out class with every funeral. Then they skip the rest of the day and get into a lot of trouble. It was a fun film.