39% The Other Woman Apr 25

96% Silicon Valley: Season 1

Funny About Love Reviews

Phil H

May 18, 2011
Very limp and soppy romantic comedy about a couple wanting to have a baby, then breaking up in time after they can't have one then they meet other people and eventually after realising they do love each other they get back together again. I only saw this simply because it was a Wilder film and usually most of his films are good fun but this really is a film for the ladies haha not really funny, alittle slapstick here and there but mainly its a light hearted ladies flick about a young couple and their relationships with each other and others, more of a gentle drama directed by Leonard 'Mr Spock' Nimoy of all people!
jjnxn
jjnxn

April 15, 2010
Christine Lahti is a fine actress to fine to be stuck in junk like this.
December 13, 2013
Films like this are a miracle. How in the world could this movie have been made this way? Didn't people on this film say that the insanely bad script could simply not work? FUNNY ABOUT LOVE, directed by Leonard Nimoy (a very, very innapropriate choice for a movie like this) is one of the most tasteless, awkward, innapropriate, clumsy and idiotic movies I've seen. It is such an excuriating experience, it's like being told the members of your family are all dead, then someone says, "I was just kidding." I don't know what that feels like (Thank God), but I imagine the kind of pain and anger someone would feel if news like that were broke to them is what I felt during this movie.

The dialogue in this movie is so shockingly bad, it's not unintentionally funny- it's just unpleasantly godawful. There are lines like "He hates the coffee!" "No, I hate the coughing! I hate all the coughing!" or "Who is the Bulgarian bear wrestler who made this?" Christine Lahti (very pretty, thin woman with American accent): "I am the Bulgarian bear wrestler." With dialogue this bad, the movie sinks and dies a very quick death, and then is hit yet again and again with the same method of death. It's like being shot once and then dying, and then the psycho killer shoots his victim again, and again, and again. There is one scene in a basketball room with Patrick Ewing that is so tasteless and so innapropriate. While Gene Wilder (the main star of this movie) and Mary Stuart Masterson are together seeing Ewing's team the New York Knicks (it is Wilder's birthday), Ewing tells Wilder that Masterson is pregnant. But that moment is nothing- there is another scene where Wilder is with his father and the woman his father wants to marry, and the conversation drags and then he says, "Gee, for this conversation, we could have put Mom on life support."

This movie annoyed me so much, I actually wanted to scream at and punch holes in the screen. How is it possible to like characters that stupid and that ill-mannered? There is one scene in a doctor's office where Wilder thinks the doctor is feeling him up. He asks what the doctor is doing to him. He says that the feeling is an auditory monitor. Wilder then says, "Oh, I thought maybe you were lonely." He says this while Masterson is standing next to him, and they all laugh. That is not funny. That is painfully awkward. If I were the doctor, I would tell Wilder and Masterson to get out and never return. This movie is so worthless, I don't think I'll keep talking about it. That's all I'm going to say about this movie- because almost every scene in this movie is like that- tasteless, annoying, and innapropriate. This was such a shocking, atrocious experience- one where I was so aggravated, I wanted to throw pies at the screen.
August 19, 2011
I stumbled across this film on cable and was shocked to see Mr. Wilder in a film this flat. The high point of emotional investment for me occurred as I grew increasingly uncomfortable with its clumsy journey between the banal and the blatantly sexist. Bad, but not bad enough to be funny.
Mikey T.
July 14, 2011
This movie was market as a funny movie. It is not a funny movie what so ever. Gene Wilder plays a guy who thinks he is funny and wants to have a baby so bad. Gene Wilder plays a very lonely and sad person, looking for someone to love and we seem on a quest for a child. A few parts should of been cut in the flick but still a watchable picture. If you are a Gene Wilder fan and want to see him play someone who is needy, sad, bad joker and looking for love. Give it a try :)