Funny Face - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Funny Face Reviews

½ December 11, 2014
Review In A Nutshell:

Stanley Donen has already gracefully won my heart with his brilliant collaborator Gene Kelly in Singin' in the Rain. I wanted to give Funny Face a watch because I am interested in exploring this director's works especially ones that are connected to musicals or have dance numbers as he always seems to win me over in that department.

Funny Face indeed is charming and entertaining in the musical department, but as a whole film with a story and a set of characters, it fails to excite me. The film revolves around a tale of discovery and the battle between glamor and intelligence. I probably would have forgo the film's lack of sophistication, if it delivers unique characters and relationships that are interesting to follow; everything in this film, aside from its dazzling visuals and musical cues, are all too familiar and executes them in such a way that only serves to elevate the musical performances.

Audrey Hepburn is as dazzlingly charming and beautiful as always, but this is far from her most complicated role. The actress seems to be breezing through the film, putting effort only to the choreographic sequences; which on its own is amazing. Fred Astaire is very popular actor and performer, and sadly this would mark as the only film I have yet seen from him. I had a pleasurable feeling of watching sing and dance but as an actor, I wasn't convinced; I think I need to see more of his work to appreciate his talent as an actor.

Funny Face is flawed, but only to a certain point, and many of the film's positive qualities remain memorable and charming. Donen clearly has a knack for these types of films; it is just too bad that the material given to him lacked ambition and complexity.
½ November 28, 2014
Fred Astaire and Audrey Hepburn don't have a lot of romantic chemistry, but Kay Thompson gives a delicious performance, and you can't really ask for more than those great song and dance sequences give us. It's no "The Bandwagon" but it still hits the spot.
November 5, 2014
I liked everything about this movie except the chemistry between Audrey and Fred. It seemed too forced.
½ October 5, 2014
What a gem! And I love that it takes place in Paris.
September 9, 2014
Too much singing & dancing. Fred seems too old for the part.
½ September 4, 2014
AUDREY DOES NOT HAVE A FUNNY FACE. The dance interludes were fantastic, but what do you expect with Fred Astaire? The music wasn't particularly catchy, but this only pisses me off more than Audrey was dubbed in MY FAIR LADY when she can clearly sing. See also Sabrina, Breakfast... As usual, I found Audrey prettier when she worked in the book store than when they "modeled" her up. Why is society so opposed to bookish beauty?
August 21, 2014
One of the few Audrey movies I donā??t like. She is way too young for her love interest. It is actually embarrassing
½ July 22, 2014
Fun and cute, but REALLY did not age well.
July 12, 2014
I really don't linke musicals... watched this because of Audrey.
There's not enough connection with Fred Astaire to say it's a love movie. In addition, there was a blooper at the beginning of the film, where Audrey is at the library and looking at the mirror you can see a man upstairs (filming camera men). They didn't watch the angles for correct shooting.
July 9, 2014
Cheesy movie with great dancing and some fabulous fashion. In my opinion, not one of Audrey's best. I just kept thinking that it could have been better.
½ July 2, 2014
I'm sorry but I didn't like it... The musical numbers weren't great all... I don't blame Fred Astaire cause I know he was an amazing dancer, is just that the music, choreography and direction wasn't that great... Plus he looked like he could be Audrey Hepburn's dad... I mean he was 30 years older than her... No chemistry whatsoever...
½ June 14, 2014
Audrey,para mi,q no se de cinema,es una tayota en musicales y en esta hay mucha musica.soo...es como perdi da de tiempo en la peli. Igual,son ellos :) not amazing.
June 6, 2014
Just because you have to of the greatest actors of your time, it doesn't mean you can forget all about a plot. It had nice colors..
½ June 4, 2014
Cute and entertaining, not too surprising from the likes of Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire.
April 20, 2014
I am no musical lover. Not to say there are not some spectacular musicals, a.k.a. Singin' in the Rain, Sound of Music just to name a few. For me at least, this is one of them. Audrey Hepburn is one of the most talented and beautiful actresses Hollywood has ever seen. So for me she carried the movie. At the very least I dare anyone to watch this movie and not enjoy it, I would guess it is impossible.
½ April 15, 2014
Audrey Hepburn and Fred Astaire -- really hard to go wrong with that combination!
April 2, 2014
Not the best musical I've ever seen, but also not the worst.
½ March 1, 2014
The wondrous charm of Hepburn and the dazzling, amiable presence of Astaire make this old fashioned romance musical entertaining enough.
½ January 3, 2014
There wasn't much plot until the last 30 minutes or so, but it was still pretty entertaining throughout.
½ December 21, 2013
Pretty solid. I actually liked Audrey Hepburn in a role for once. And her singing voice was perfectly fine in this (a little sultry as well), I'm surprised they decided to redub her singing in My Fair Lady, guess they thought that movie required more singing range. Not much dancing from Astaire, though.