Funny Face - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Funny Face Reviews

½ November 20, 2013
It was cute. Audrey Hepburn was adorable and I enjoyed her dancing. Fred Astaire was charming and they had great chemistry together. I know that Audrey was dubbed in "My Fair Lady" but Im not so sure here. Her singing wasn't great. Not terrible, but in reality she shouldnt have been picked for a musical. However, she's a wonderful dancer and the film is worth a watch just for the dance numbers.

The songs were catchy. Though, I didnt care much for the dancing that went with some of them. They felt a bit contrived and too "broadway-esque". It was a bit been there and done that. The solo dance numbers by Audrey and Fred were MUCH better.

Overall, I enjoyed it. But its not my favourite Audrey film.
November 3, 2013
Like watching a fashion magazine bursts to life! This is a classic for fashion aficionados with its gorgeous Givenchy coutures, set pieces, colors, Paris, and Audrey Hepburn being truly out-of-this-world luminous.
October 5, 2013
I love Hepburn and Astaire, but this movie is horrible. She can't sing. There is NO chemistry between the two. Paris looks great, alas this is a badly made movie.
½ September 9, 2013
As a musical, not high on my list of recommended films, but is enjoyable not doubt to see Astaire team up with Hepburn.
The musical score is satisfying, though it doesn't include as many Gershwin favourites as one would hope.
July 29, 2013
For me, the best A. Hepburn I've ever seen. Elegant, funny, smart, emotional, I can see all of the good personalities in her funny face.
July 22, 2013
I can't believe I didn't like this movie, but I think at least 50% of it being terrible is due to the fact that it aged badly.
July 8, 2013
Very sweet and well produced musical about an intellectual girl turning into a model...just the age difference between Hepburn and Astaire was a bit too obvious for my taste, and maybe the storys script was a bit too thin to really overwhelm, but it sure is entertaining and endearing, not to mention a very unsubtle love declaration for Paris. Hepburn is a quite accomplished dancer, and an even better actress. The movie lives through her charm only, and Stanley donesn choreographies. Again, the 50s were a glorious time for movie lovers...
½ July 4, 2013
Definitely not a top tier musical. To start with, it's based on the absurd premise that Audrey Hepburn could be perceived as dowdy. It's pretty by-the-numbers ... no surprises here. It is an attractive film (Richard Avedon was a visual consultant), plus it has beatniks. Beatniks make any film better.
½ June 30, 2013
There is a lot about Stanley Donen's Funny Face that has not aged well. Audrey Hepburn's Jo spouts inane made-up pseudo-intellectual nonsense about "empathicalism" vs. existentialism in a way that is either supposed to ring intelligent to the viewer or is a subtly sexist pat to the head of women's naivete. Then there is the fact that she is dressed down as a bookshop employee in glasses and thereby implied to be ugly -- hence, "your funny face." And finally there is the romance between the Jo and the much older Dick Avery (Fred Astaire), which rings not only false but slightly creepy. But then, we are not in it for any of that. This is a Stanley Donen musical using Gershwin songs, and in that respect, it is marvelous. Gloriously staged dance numbers and beautifully shot musical set pieces with charming performances from Astaire, Hepburn, and Kay Thompson make Funny Face, despite all its flaws, pretty hard to resist.
June 21, 2013
i own it just havent watched it yet
½ June 20, 2013
Audrey Hepburn is Marvelous.
May 29, 2013
Audrey Hepburn!! You have to appreciate old films to not get bored during this, but I love it. The wedding dress Audrey wears at the end is out of my dreams.
½ May 27, 2013
I find Fred Astaire in the dictionary under the definition of charming -right next to Clark Gable- its hard not to love every thing he does .. knowing that this particular movie isn't his top acting / Choreographic peak, but it was still Fun & enjoyable
And then there is Audrey Hepburn who is as cute as ever & they dare say that she's got a funny face .. I have no comment on that .. if Audrey's got a funny face then there are million who'll have to jump off a cliff !!!
May 5, 2013
10. Wait Until Dark

Happy Birthday Audrey Hepburn
-5/4/13
April 14, 2013
it's an audrey film, obviously it deserves all the stars
April 13, 2013
In a world without laws, contracts, or logic comes... "Funny Face." Audrey Hepburn is absolutely delightful, but she's saddled with one of the most ridiculous scripts I've ever come across. Aside from the laughable conceit that Hepburn indeed has the titular 'funny face' (Seriously, everyone keeps singing about how odd she looks), this is just about the most implausible love story imaginable, only moving forward because of the hypocritical words and actions of a super creepy lead male. The only reason we don't notice at first is because the guy is Fred Astaire--one of the most wonderfully talented movie stars of all time-- and he artfully distract us from his eye-rolling sexism through grace and charm.

The message of the film is that celebrity and glamor is superior to intellectualism and independent thought, fashion superior to reading, and that it's a woman's sole purpose to look pretty for her man. I kept waiting for the ironic, satirical twist, but it never comes. "Funny Face" is totally straight-faced when it comes to its misogyny. Coupled with a preposterously contrived scene of attempted rape (yup), and you've got a movie that feels dangerously close to anti-women's rights propaganda. It's a shame, because the film is beautifully photographed and the musical sequences are superb. Save yourself some time and just look up Audrey's enchanting dance in the Paris bar on YouTube.
½ April 10, 2013
Favorite movie of hers by far, I'm starting to think that Breakfast at Tiffany's is overrated. Musical, dancing, books, philosophy, empathy, fashion, and colorful. Perfection in my book...
For some the musical could be overly gay which meant back in the 50s overly happy and carefree. It was nice to see it though in the movie, specially the scene at the bar/club so quirky and random moves. Sure it has that sort of Cinderella story but the self expression and the art is certainly put in the movie quite well.
April 10, 2013
The sweet Hepburn and seasoned Astaire make a perfect duo in this cute musical.
½ April 9, 2013
I am a big fan of Audrey Hepburn...I have most of her movies. I thought this one was very good...I really enjoyed the dancing!
March 24, 2013
Funny, cute and interesting but the musical numbers occasionally drag and I just couldn't quite connect with the central relationship as much as I would have liked. Some truly brilliant moments though! Hepburn is brilliant, especially in the French club.