Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fur: An Imaginary Portrait of Diane Arbus Reviews

April 9, 2013
As a huge fan of Diane Arbus and Nicole Kidman, I was SUPER disappointed by this movie. While the idea of a fictionalised biography isn't terrible in itself, this movie is essentially just a tragic Hollywood romance with an "eccentric" twist. And I have no idea what that has to do with who Diane Arbus was or what her work was really about (beyond the superficial at least). Arbus is totally reduced to a bland romantic heroine/ dissatisfied housewife and pins down her whole career as "inspired" by a mysterious stranger. I mean without the Arbus attachment this would be a decent movie, Kidman does do a super job (as usual, she is the queen of all things), but with it? It just seems wrong.
½ April 1, 2013
OK. if you are going to make a story of a real person's life, then make it real. Not some imaginary nonsense. This film could have been so much more, it could have actually told something about Diane Arbus, not make one google for the info. Nicole Kidman is good, but nothing really happens in the entire film. There is a lot of promise, but it all falls down to an illicit affair with a hairy man in an attic. Great.
½ February 24, 2013
A really bad movie. Avoid at all costs.
January 24, 2013
An imaginary portrait of Diane Arbus ... A must for fans - you'll love it or hate it - reaction you will have. I loved it! Kidmon gives a stunning performance. Don't be bothered by the critics reviews... They really need a Pk like a friend of mine will say... :)
January 21, 2013
I thought it was a very strange movie but the kind that keeps you somewhat interested. its a movie that not a lot of ppl will enjoy, you just to be into strange movies.
½ January 13, 2013
beautiful photography
½ January 7, 2013
Interesting imaginary bio-pic. Sort of a "coming of artist" story" Robert Downey Jr. is fantastic of course.
½ January 5, 2013
I liked the style and have no problem with the tenuous connection to reality.
December 7, 2012
''Why do you want to take a portrait of someone you've never seen, Diane?''Turning her back on her wealthy, established family, Diane Arbus (Kidman) falls in with Lionel Sweeney (Downey Jr.), an enigmatic mentor who introduces Arbus to the marginalized people who help her become one of the most revered photographers of the twentieth century.Nicole Kidman: Diane ArbusAn imaginative seductive story of a most interesting lady. Although based on the autobiography this movie was a joy to watch.Clever shots, interesting composite of music and a dazzling array of emotion and mystery all mixed up in between the lines.From an artistic point of view this has a full palette of colour and vibrant use of photography.The film is in the same category as the ''freaks'' film based on some of it's subject matter, i found these different characters to be fascinating in their various deformities or abnormalities. Makes me wonder how we as people categorize ourselves as humans.
Nicole Kidman as Diane Arbus is wonderfully curious and genius-laden. Her Counterpart Robert Downey Jr as Lionel Sweeney her love interest and fur effected friend conveys mystery and wonder and charisma in his role.At its heart the whole tale and plot reminds me of Beauty and the Beast and its beautiful and reaches into your imagination. So sad and emotional in parts, it really makes me appreciate my life and all the time i have.
A tale of love cruelly ripped out by the confines of human frailty. That a life of wonder and imagination and following your heart leads to true happiness.As Diane Arbus, Nicole Kidman once again inhabits the role of a very strange personality and does it so well that she manages to take us along the odd journey on which she embarks. Her nice but mundane husband Allan (Ty Burrell) allows her to explore the presence of a new tenant Lionel, encouraging his frustrated wife to take up photography on her own rather than serving as his assistant for the fashion magazine images he grinds out. Lionel is covered with hair (hypertrichosis) and as a sideshow freak has many friends who have deformities. Arbus enters this world, loves the freedom of expression she has longed for, and in time falls in love with Lionel, leaving her family to enter completely the vision she has discovered (this is not a spoiler as the film opens with this information).Yes, Shainberg can be criticized for excess and for pushing the boundaries of credibility, but for this viewer that approach enhances the concept of visualizing the epiphany in an artist's life when the world changes to a form the artist can then capture and share. The sets, photography, and the acting fit the idea - even the far too prolonged love scene/body shaving sequence and aftermath that can only be described as bizarre. The film is obviously a work of love and one that honors the life of Diane Arbus, even though we are not given much true information about the woman. Veteran actors Jane Alexander and Harry Yulin add to the dignity of the project, as does a fascinatingly simple musical score by Carter Burwell.Worth a watch if you like imaginative movies that run through your emotions. Funny and inspiring yet emotional and turbulent.''Why don't you tell a secret?''
October 21, 2012
this is an odd little movie that if you take a moment to step back from the freaks and look at the art of the picture it really is quite beautiful. beyond that i didn't really "buy" the story. granted, it is not a true account of diane arbus' life but rather an imaginary account. i don't buy that she went from being repressed, under the thumb of her parents and the dutiful wife and mother to suddenly, within a couple of months, intrigued by the underbelly of the city all because she saw some guy out the window. i think that her real life story would have been more interesting than watching her imaginary life become a train wreck.
September 29, 2012
amazing performance from nicole kidman. but dont waste your time on this movie :)
½ September 18, 2012
is so nice when a movie impress u (suddenly) in a good way....
I just rented this dvd cause Nicole Kidman was there, and because i was curious about this biography about the photographer Diane Arbus (very famous woman in the middle of last century)...
The director now perfectly how to play with the audience and this character (Diane) is discover in an slow and fascinated way.
I just wanted reserach more about this amazing woman, who was ahead on her times and wanted to be different than the typical housewifes of that boring era
September 10, 2012
What a complete and utter piece of garbage.
September 4, 2012
A modern day 'Beauty and the Beast.' It's odd and quite different. Sucked me in right away.
September 1, 2012
want to see it so badly,i don't know why,it must be about shainberg,and his brilliant work 'secretary'.
Finally i saw it.Same and unique as 'Secretary'.
August 6, 2012
Very watchable, but uninvolving. Feels like someone's daydream fantasy, & the subject of Diane Arbus seems irrelevant.
½ July 30, 2012
"fur: an imaginary portrait of diane arbus" is a bizarre film, and a little creepy at times. nicole kidman's performance is fantastic, as is robert downey jr.'s. i can see why people might not like the film, but for me this is a great character study, which explores many human emotions.
July 16, 2012
I cryed at this film ;(
July 11, 2012
Based on the famous American photography Diane Arbus. Fur is a strange look into the world of people with freakish illnesses, and one person finding there true career and emotional voice. The main freak in this case is a character named Lional, played by the always watchable Robert Downey Junior. The film is carried by the stronger central performances of Nicole Kidman and Junior. Still this is a slowed paced film, and may not be to everyones tastes.
June 9, 2012
Quite interesting biography, not my style!