Furnace - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Furnace Reviews

July 15, 2012
rubbish, but in a cool kinda way that makes me want to score it highly......watch it when It's on the telly.
October 8, 2011
Ja Rule...that's all.
September 30, 2011
A pretty interesting story...but the acting was pretty bad. It did have some pretty scary/creepy imagery, though. Up there with "The Jailhouse."
½ September 25, 2011
Danny Trejo, Ja Rule, and the great Michael Pare. The only thing that could make ''Furnace'' one of the worst horror movies ever, would be Jenny Mcshane, whose highest rated film is ''The Watcher'' at a whopping 10% - which is actually overrated. Well, don't fear, because she was signed, sealed and delivered in this one, too.
August 26, 2011
good creepy thriller that wants 2b like the green mile but ends up short
May 20, 2011
Some well-done gore and scary scenes, but mostly bad story logic and a 'twist' that just left me shaking my head. The CGI ghosts looked like cheap knock-offs.
½ March 27, 2011
While the plot is good the film itself doesn't offer much. While the effects are good the film plods along towards a obvious climax. The acting is not half as bad as some of the low budget films I have seen on the Horror channel (where I saw this) but Ja Rule could use some more acting classes.
½ December 11, 2010
"Furnace" doesn't have an original bone in its body. This is formula film from start to finish. Nonetheless, it's done well enough to be entertaining, even if you will likely have the "mystery" figured out 20 minutes into the film.

Since that's the case, I don't mind telling you that this is about a prison haunted by a little girl who was murdered by the warden (her father) by being burned alive in the prison furnace (hence the title -- see? no surprises). The warden also got burned alive and is a ghost. The cops and convicts spend the flick trying to solve a series of mysterious (yeah, right) deaths perpetrated by the ghosts. A couple of these are a bit grisly, but the fear comes from the ghosts in this one, and the SFX make-up people have done a truly outstanding job on this score. The girl-ghost is particularly eerie, with ash gray-black skin and glowing orange eyes, and the warden-ghost is genuinely menacing, too. The ghosts move in the jerky, flickering, now-you-see-it-now-you-don't way popularized by "The Ring," and again, nothing new but done well. Ten year old Victoria Hester does a marvelous turn as the ghost; she's got a great future as a scream queen.

Overall, the acting isn't bad. Aside from Hester, the big standout in this department is Ja Rule with a solid performance as a convict. Danny Trejo is Danny Trejo and Tom Sizemore delivers a decent but stereotypical corrupt prison guard. Michael ParĂ (C) and Jenny McShane have no chemistry and participate in a uniquely unappealing sex scene that ought to have landed on the cutting room floor. That scene and the sloppy ending are the biggest let-downs in this otherwise decent ghost story.

"Furnace" isn't going to get any standing ovations, but if you watch ghost flicks for the ghosts, you'll probably like it. It's a little better than average in that regard, and despite its derivative nature manages to bring on a couple of genuine chills. Worth checking out.
½ October 27, 2010
This was a good movie
October 22, 2010
Furnace is one of those movies that tries really hard at being a psychological thriller, and only comes out looking like a bad indie attempt. Chief among the problems, is a good bit of badly executed special effects, a story with plot holes big enough you could drive a truck through, and a setting that just doesn't quite make sense.

The special effects could have been much better. They go more for the standard "shock" type of scare, where the creature appears before you when you least expect it. This works only a handful of times, but before long it just starts looking like one of the editors let their twelve year old daughter have a go at it. If they had laid off the fire effect (though this does become important later on) and less of the choppy jumping effect for the ghosts, I think I could have looked past the general cheesy feel that they gave off anyway. One ghost, that of a little girl, looked much like just a dirty little girl. Even though the story established that she was essentially ash. The other ghost, that of an older man, was greyed out and looked more like a photo on some bad film than a ghost. Oddly his "ash" effect was better.

The plot left a good bit to be desired, more than once I found myself thinking "really? I mean, are you really expecting me to buy this load of bull?" One of the biggest problems was that of the "Furnace" for which the movie takes its name. It was obvious, even to the most casual observer, that this furnace would never have worked in any way shape or form, and while it looked ominous enough; that didn't quite make up for the fact that it just simply didn't fit in with the set. Perhaps had they tried to make the furnace itself more realistic, and less looking like something cobbled together by a set crew, it would have been better. Furthermore, the movie takes place (mostly) in a prison. However once again there are a number of plot problems, not the least of which being that outside detectives and prison guards are seen carrying firearms around open cells of inmates. Trouble waiting to happen, yet it never actually comes to that.

The movie doesn't really start coming together until the very end, when a long flashback scene explains everything that's been going on; at least in the past. Even then, when some of the earlier instances start making sense, the movie falls flat on its face. What could have been a very good ending fight, just ends up being this one woman screaming at the detective, while he fights with the spirit of the man that had been killing inmates. That's just it. The movie ends there and we never get to find out any epilogue or what really happened afterward.
bbcfloridabound
½ September 20, 2010
.This is one of the better horror flick's of the modern era. Make up is great, right from the start the Gore scenes are spectacular. Great story line. My only disappointment is that it didn't win any awards i.e. Fangoria. .. Should have easily been in the 8 films to die for series. 4 1/2 stars
½ October 26, 2009
Was worth watching once!
½ August 19, 2009
Horrible movie - don't waste your time.
July 21, 2009
Love this one!!! William Butler did a great job producing this movie!!! I'm friends with William Butler on Myspace and we chat a lot. Great guy. I remember when he asked for my help in promoting this movie and I said ok. He sent me the trailer to see and post on my Myspace profile and I was so glad to of helped him. When I finally saw it for sale at Best Buy, I HAD to get it. I watched it all and was very satisfied with this film!! I was so glad to have helped Mr. Butler in promoting this movie!!! Danny Trejo did an excellent job as he played a prisoner in the movie. Ever notice he plays a good bad guy? lol. And the guy who play ed on the movie "Eddie and The Crusers" did a great job as a detective. JaRule was a cool prisoner too!!!Gotta love this movie!!
June 14, 2009
Was a pretty stupid movie, had more actors with names than I thought it deserved. Was a very stupid story line and not very well play through.
½ April 11, 2009
it's about a haunted furnace in a prison, so it seems like it would be a predictable sort of ghost/prison movie. and it is, i guess. it was a mediocre movie, until the end, when it totally fell apart. the old warden was trying to do bad things to this little girl, when she fell and hit her head. thinking that she was dead (why not?) he stuffs her in a laundry sack, puts her in a cart, and wheels it down to the furnace. but he can't pick up a 40 pound girl, so he has the retarded guy chuck her into the furnace. but she's still alive (duh), and she grabs the warden and they manage to set fire to the south wing. the south wing, by the way, appears to just be downstairs, because everyone only ever takes the elevator; no one actually walks to another wing of the prison. all this crap is in a flashback at the end. i'm not really sure who wants revenge for what that made the furnace haunted. but the girl-ghost and the warden-ghost seem to both be burning up people, for whatever reason. they don't target bad guards or bad prisoners. for the ending, the detective and the smoldering warden are having a stand-up grapple fight, even though everyone he touched previously caught on fire, when the girl ghost pops out of the furnace and re-grabs the warden and pulls him back into the furnace. i don't think the writer even tried to think of a good story. i think he must have just yelled, "HAUNTED FURNACE!" a bunch of times, until someone made this movie. also, the acting was bad.
April 5, 2009
just like any other B movie
September 29, 2008
Wasn't good, wasn't bad.
August 16, 2008
a mix of fire and blood makes for one hell of a good movie
½ July 27, 2008
This is a below average movie for this genre of film.