Fury of the Wolfman - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Fury of the Wolfman Reviews

April 13, 2016
When I think about why I love Italian horror films so much, particularly those from the 60's to 80's, and wonder why the Italians are so good at making them, it dawns on me that it's because they tend to be so passionate and uninhibited in all of their unbridled emotions, and that it's always a very thin, perforated line between love and hate, good and evil, which makes their actions so uncontrollable and their behaviour so decidedly unpredictable. Take it from me and my personal relationship experiences, Italians really know how to express themselves. The sex is always outstanding, but you always have to go through and endure your share of blood, sweat and tears (as The Smithereens once famously sang, 'I get the blues before and after loving you.')

In terms of great horror protagonists, Paul Naschy has always been both the saving grace and missing link, the great Spanish hope. Lord Almighty, he always seemed a direct cross between a 60's Marlon Brando (when he was starting to get disillusioned and pudgy because no one could come up with ideas or roles worthy of his monumental talents) and John Belushi. He always possessed this tortured mythos, channeling the very best of Boris Karloff and Lon Chaney Jr. Yes, he was a monster, but he couldn't help himself, and his nasty habits went against the very fiber of his being. No matter how bad the material (which he usually wrote, under an alias), he was always fervently watchable.

Tangentially, Jean-Luc Godard once said that Roger Vadim was 'with it'. The literal translation: He makes bad films, but he knows what people wants to see. 'The Fury of the Wolfman' is like that. Director Zabalza knows his audience inside and out. EVERY SINGLE female character, without exception, is drop-dead gorgeous, not to mention scantily clad at every possible moment. There are whips, chains, bondage--every type of scenario a full-blooded person, even remotely intrigued in sexuality, would be head-over-heels over. The plot is meaningless and deserves to be. It's never the point. All the filmmakers are looking for is 90 minutes of cinematic fun and excitement that people will want to peruse, and you get that here, and are left completely satisfied. As The Kinks famously said, 'Give the People What They Want!'
April 13, 2016

½ July 6, 2014
After watching the pitiful Operation Terror, I was relieved to find Fury of the Wolfman more up to Naschy standards. My copy is a sludgy transfer, so I can't comment on the "look" of the film.

The plot is familiar, with Naschy as the sympathetic werewolf who can only be killed by the one he loves. The ending is atypical, however, and there's some unusual mad scientist elements.

Too bad the version I saw had so many obvious, jarring edits. I look forward to seeing a better DVD of this some day.
May 20, 2013
It lacks in plot, but at least the wolfman looks decent enough. The characters aren't great, the pacing is slow, and the story is confusing. It does have enough scenes with the Wolfman though, which is reason enough to not give this film a total fail rating compared to other 'Wolfman' films.
July 20, 2012
this is a very good movie poor waldemar hes on his quest to find a cure from his werewolfism,will he find a cure or will he continue to do what he hates most in his life and thats killing people in his path or will he find someone to love,this flick has my five stars!!:)
July 20, 2012
prior to seeing this movie, i had never seen a werewolf leisurely walk around upright...they're usually hunched over and moving fairly quickly. this one was laid back, though...not laid back enough to not murder folks...but still laid back. it's an unintentionally funny flick that some folks will adore while others groan in agony while watching. i happen to think it's alright.
July 20, 2012
what a great movie! has everything you'd ever want to see all in one!!
½ July 20, 2012
this movie is split down the middle for me. on one hand you have the ludicrous story, with standouts like when the scientists think that lightning and electricity will give a dead person life and supernatural powers. another thing that made me laugh was how the guy changed into the wolfman. he seemed to be in a state of ecstasy while changing, with facial expressions reminiscent of a sex scene lol. on the other hand, you have the terrible editing jobs done by the filmmakers, the hard to follow to almost nonexistent plot, and the god awful dubbing that make this movie just unwatchable. only watch if you wanna turn the sound off and make your own comments somewhat like mystery science theater.
July 20, 2012
Ni vet att svenska VTC släppet är det längsta i världen?
bbcfloridabound
July 20, 2012
This One I viewed out of a Mill Creek Movie Pack, 50 Nightmare Worlds. One of many Paul Naschy Werewolf Films. Not sure how much cutting Mill Creek Did but it seem like it cut a lot. About 8 minutes worth throughout the film. But I will add a different version for my Paul Naschy Collection.
July 20, 2012
I need help , serious help - three times I've tried to watch this, and three times I've fallen asleep, why do I keep doing this to myself ? What the hell is this movie about ? Did she just say something about "chematrobes"controling peoples minds ? Why does this woman scientist have a bunch of swinging hipsters in her basement ? Does it really matter ? Will I ever make it thru ?
½ July 20, 2012
Generally terrible, mostly due to a tedious romance sub-plot and horrible editing.
July 20, 2012
Awful, awful, awful. Not to be confused with the infamous video nasty 'The Werewolf and the Yeti'. Same actor, different film. Ninety minutes that were as painful as a root canal.
½ July 20, 2012
Horrid old werewolf flick. I realize this is Naschy and some people love him but it was just so bad. Definitely a film of its times.
I love werewolves...
Horror = Not interested.
October 12, 2010
low budget but full of heart
½ August 19, 2010
a poorly made horror movie
August 10, 2010
Waldemar Daninsky (Paul Naschy) just cant stay dead,here he's ressurected by his Psychiatrist Lover and she subjects him to Min-control Experiments which turn him into a Werewolf,therefore he reeks havoc once more,although its not as good as the previous installments, it certainly is the Black Sheep of the Waldemar Daninsky Series as it dares to be different,no Full Moons needed for the Lycanthrope change which i'm sure a few Horror fans will be annoyed with,but its all down to hypnosis,i liked this film,deffinetly not one of Naschy's best,but its good for trying something new.
July 15, 2010
Being on a bit of a bad movie fix lately, I've been picking up a couple cheapie titles here and there on DVD. One such title I picked up is Jose Maria Zabalza's bizarre little 1972 Spanish horror flick The Fury of the Wolfman, also known as The Wolfman Never Sleeps. Right behind zombies and vampires, werewolves are my third favorite movie monster of all time. Aside from a handful of titles like 1941's The Wolf Man, Silver Bullet and Dog Soldiers there are very few werewolf movies that I honestly enjoy immensely. The Fury of the Wolfman isn't joining the ranks of the ones I love.

To kick things off to how weird of a film this one is, the main character Waldemar Daninsky (Paul Naschy) becomes plagued by the werewolf curse after being attacked and bitten by a Yeti in Tibet. I wasn't aware that an attack by a Yeti, which I believe is more along the lines of being an ape-like creature, could cause someone to turn into a werewolf. Maybe it's part of some sort of monster exchange program, where monsters try out other monster's tactics to see if they can learn anything from the experience.

From there the film really began to lose me. The Fury of the Wolfman is far too crammed with needless stuff that drags the film down. It spends far too much time with folklore and scientific mumbo-jumbo, and very little time with actual werewolf carnage. Then Waldemar becomes a sort of experiment/slave with a female scientist, who uses mind control to get him to do her violent bidding. I would have been fine with that, if the film didn't open itself up to so many questions about her. Like what the hell was the deal with all of those chained up people in this woman's basement?

The movie could have offered better wolfman action than it supplies. I'll be forgiving with the fact that the werewolf make-up looks terrible, but I won't with the fact that nothing he does is that great. Werewolves are suppose to be violent, merciless creatures. Not this slow, staggering monster who lazily manages to kill his victims. The damn movie is called The FURY of the Wolfman... well, where the hell is the damn FURY?!?!

The Fury of the Wolfman does work to an extent, but only as an "it's so bad it's fun" kind of movie. Nothing that happens in this movie will stick with you in a positive way after you've finished watching it. But I'm sure that with the numerous unintentionally funny moments provided by this film, you won't forget the experience anytime soon. I guess I'll have to look elsewhere for a good werewolf movie.