Futurama: Bender's Game - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Futurama: Bender's Game Reviews

½ July 17, 2017
Fantastic animated movie of a great animated tv show by the creator of the Simpson's, Matt Groening. It's sad that Fox cancelled futurama, even though I didn't see it live on tv, I recently binged watched the entire series on Netflix before it goes away in July. I finished the series in 5 days, a week before July, I felt pretty accomplished finishing this great show and now I'm onto watching the movies in between the cancellation of this show. Sorry for that little intro, now onto the actual review, I really liked the animation and felt just like a long episode of the show. The story was good and that's it. I like seeing all my favorite characters in a movie, I doubt that they'll make an actual movie in theaters but this is good enough for now.
March 16, 2016
love it it is an awesome movie and it is based like d&d
½ February 14, 2016
it was ok... my least favorite of the four. more Nibler! and the rest if basically just Lord of the Rings and Star Wars
December 29, 2015
not bad but it can get boring at times
May 10, 2015
A dungeon and dragon homage that didn't really make any sense, possibly the weakest of all the films.
½ April 25, 2015
Definitely a step up from 'The Beast With A Billion Backs'. It's not as great, story-wise, as 'Bender's Big Score' but it's pretty damn funny and that went a long way in keeping my interest. I dug a lot of the jokes, especially the bit with the hammers at the insane asylum for insane robots, and everything just seemed to flow better in terms of the different storylines coming together at the end. I'd definitely watch this a second time before 'The Beast With A Billion Backs' again.
½ March 23, 2015
Even by Futurama standards this is probably the nerdiest thing they have ever done. Geeks should have plenty to obsess over between the LOTR, Star Wars and Dungeons & Dragons references. Hard to complain too much when the climax involves light sabers, dragons and centaurs.
January 22, 2015
Bender's Game is another hilarious Futurama film.
October 27, 2014
Always silly, and the D&D aspect was kinda neat, albeit contrived for the finale. Then again, isn't that the point?
October 19, 2014
This was my favourite of the four Futurama films but that may be because the fantasy and roleplaying references appeal to my personal interests so much.
October 1, 2014
As another entry into the Futurama canon, Futurama: Bender's Game was a definete viewing for me.

I can say with full confidence that Futurama: Bender's Game ties with Bender's Big Score for the title of finest direct-to-DVD films so far. For the fisrt half of the film it is largely a basic film, but it takes a different angle in the second half. It stands out as better because it is a very story-oriented film in the way that it establishes the political context of the universe as facing corporate corruption and rising fuel costs which gives it real-world allegory. Yet that is hardly the most important aspect of the story. Futurama: Bender's Game is great because it branches out into a fantasy concept. Parodying Lord of the Rings, Futurama: Bender's Game sees the heroes on a journey through a mystical land to fight the forces of Mom in witch form while continuously hinting at small elements relating to the popular game Dungeons & Dragons. The jokes in the film are fairly consistently good because they capitalise on the best humourous elements of many of the characters and the futuristic setting of the universe while also making a clever ploy at the mystical universe in the latter half of the film. The humour is great because it has a lot of clever visual ploys as well as edgy script moments, and while many of the jokes seem recycled, the story in the film manages to make up for that because it takes an all new angle for the narrative to focus on for once which comes off succesful. The numerous pop culture references are clever because it makes the story and the humour largely unpredictable, even if there are many moments where it proves to tread old ground. As a whole, it remains a fresh concept which keeps the material entertaining and transcends the quality of the preceding two direct-to-DVD Futurama films due to originality. As the story is all based around a fictional world within the universe of Futurama, it is not exactly that compelling and doesn't do too much for the characters which means that it is largely just an extended episode, but as a cheap and fun step in a different direction for the Futurama characters, it serves as lighthearted fun which is just what I wanted.
The design for medieval fantasy universe is really detailed and seems legitimate which gives the story a good front, as well as the fact that it has the same broad colour pallette and character design that fans of the series have come to expect over the years. The slight alterations for the designs of the characters to play into the medieval setting is convincing as well, so the animation is as good as ever. And the voice cast remain dedicated to the material, breathing a lot of comic energy into their roles which bring their spirits back again for this adventure. And the music is good as usual.

So due to an original plot and a lot of clevery parody elements, Futurama: Bender's Game is an entertaining addition to the Futurama story which leaves me enthusiastic about its future.
½ August 31, 2014
Bender's Game is possibly my favorite of the Futurama movies due to its strong connection to the essence of the original series. It, like the rest of the franchise, heavily relies on gags, a lot of which I think it pulls off because it feels like the original humor found in the show during its FOX days, not to mention its plot connections to Nibbler and his origins that actually make sense. If it had stuck with its dark matter ploy instead of making such a drastic change of setting halfway through, then I think it could've been better, but instead the shift into Bender's highly active imagination completely derails what had been set up, and simply puts the plot on pause instead of offering it anything to work with. Even if it was made with Gary Gygax in mind, there probably could've been better means of execution, but all that aside, there's a solid setup and conclusion, even if the Futurama randomness works better in the world it had already set up for itself instead of a mediocre parody of Middle Earth.
August 2, 2014
Though dozens of references are included, Bender's Game essentially amounts to Futurama's parody of Lord Of The Rings. Though significantly funnier than Beast, the story is stagnant at best. Overall, it's the second best of the Futurama films, all of which are hilarious.
July 14, 2014
Futurama is funny.Bender is funny. This movie is funny. End of story.
½ May 30, 2014
Boring as hell and possibly the worst things to come out of Futurama's name. I dread the final fourth entry, to be honest.
½ April 23, 2014
While it's still not as good as the first one, it's about as good as the last one.
½ January 11, 2014
No other film has made fun of The Lord of the Rings as perfectly as this. It was fun to see Leela as a centaur, too.
January 7, 2014
This is a wonderful show, and movie but you really like after the 5th or 10th episode, of any season. It gets better I hope you understand that this is not the best of the movies so don't let this ruin your Futurama ! These are things that were alright in the movie is really kind of 'bleh', and it also a bit disturbing than the things like not anywhere near as good as 'in the wild green yonder' but it is alright. Enjoy please! ~Thank you c:
December 8, 2013
Not necessarily bad, but the worst of the four films
½ October 19, 2013
The 3rd Futurama movie. Nothing to really complain about - about as good as the other two, I would say