Future Weather - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Future Weather Reviews

September 3, 2013
An incredible film from start to finish...Worth watching again and again!!!!
August 22, 2013
a well acted movie riddled with heavy morals, serious topics and lots to say.
June 22, 2013
The narrative lacks conviction..Didn't see enough courage from the protagonist.
½ May 9, 2013
Haney-Jardine presents a sensitive portrait of a conflicted teenager who's been forced to become self-sufficient before she's really ready.
May 4, 2013
El Pronóstico del Tiempo
½ May 2, 2013
Future Weather isn't a film I had planned on watching. I didn't know anything about it. But when I saw that it starred Amy Madigan and Lili Taylor I thought I would check it out. The film has gotten high praise from the critics which is rightly given. The film is really well done. The story is about a young girl named Lauduree, who is in a really tough living situation. She has a mother who is young and a bit lost in life. She is flaky and unstable. Lauduree is one of those unfortunate kids who end up raising themselves. When her mother abandons her to follow her dream of being a celebrity make-up artist in California, Lauduree tries to take care of herself without the help from anyone. She gets a job tutoring thinking she can pay all the bills with the money. Soon she realizes that things cost more then she can afford and ends up shop lifting and getting caught. The cops call in her alcoholic grandmother, Greta, who had no idea her daughter has skipped town leaving her granddaughter behind. Greta tells Lauduree that it's best she move in with her. Lauduree refuses the idea not wanting to leave her project (her trees) behind. But she doesn't have much of a choice. I think Lauduree focuses so much on her project and Global Warming because she feels like this is something she can control since her life is so unpredictable. She just wants to make the world a better place and maybe find a place she belongs in the process.
½ April 23, 2013
A filmmaker can strike gold their first time thus is the case for first time director/writer/producer Jenner Deller. It's hard to imagine a women who never attended a day of film school has such a magnificent understandings with visuals complementing the passionate storytelling. If Deller debut Future Weather proves anything is that she has plenty of potential to thrive in the film medium.

Future Weather is a character piece about Lauduree, a young passionate environmentalist, whose single mother runs off to California. Surrounded by people moving in their own directions while trying to cope with the heartbreak of being abandoned by her mother, Lauduree starts to act out, angrily pushing back against those around her. Some might find the whole environmentalist angle a bit annoying since Lauduree does shout out ecological facts out of nowhere. To the film credit it doesn't overplayed that angle of Lauduree where it becomes preachy. If anything the characteristic is a key fundamental in showcasing the evolution of her. It metaphors a deep struggle within Lauduree mind without losing a shed of relatability from the audience. The plot is a relatively simple one to follow being primarily driven by it characters. We get in depth looks not us at our protagonist life, but also those around her. Each major character contribute something important to the protagonist and her progression in the story. Never does one character feel like they go to waste. Heavy on plot around fully fleshed out characters create a strong, simple, and deep dramatic story.

Leading actress Perla Haney-Jardine performance is reminiscent to that of Lawrence in Winter's Bone. Being able to convey the hidden pain of her character. Handling the both the heartbreaking and love scenes with ease. Never coming off as too dramatic in a breakdown or too intelligent when shouting ecological facts. Perla Haney-Jardine has potential that can make her a breakout star. The main cast consist of purely females which is a very nice welcome. Each of the actresses get to the root of the character of their characters. Marie Ireland while not appearing a majority of the screen time comes through convincingly as a well meaning, but incapable mother. Amy Madigan is the opposite portraying a grandparent who while taking care of a child at the sacrifice of her own personal life is more too than what is on the surface. Representing a take that gives an understanding for her strict parenting while never coming off as a verbally abusive caretaker. The visuals while simple say highlight the beauty of nature and emotions of the scene. Using lighting wisely present the mood of a scene or a new permanent change.

Future Weather is a excellent debut film from first time writer/director/producer Jenny Deller showing a clear understanding of the medium and a profound confidence. It has a great script that simple to follow with depth, a cast of actors who all understands their roles, and rightful use of visuals as a tool benefiting its storytelling.
April 23, 2013
People making comments here, find the material of the film redundant. Do they not live in the United States where there is no scrap of material that has not been gnawed to the bone? A coming of age story about a poor precocious girl. Yes, not an uncommon theme, but more common than films about boys which are blandly heralded by the critics? More common than ritual-reality TV and ritual TV talent shows, comedies about men getting drunk? Priveleged girls getting drunk and/or laid? Yet another hero slayer of hundreds? Is Quiten Tarantino really so original? Django was a florid pastel of over-ripe racist cleches and meaningless killing? Yet Tarantino is taken seriously. Here is a story about poor people, the enviroment, weak families and drugs; four things Americans don't want to make decisions about. Its a bit scarier than celebrating the preposterous conceit of a super hero with an inner-life, but hey thats entertainment.
February 5, 2013
In a recent excellent Cinebanter review, the protagonist of this film is described as "depressed about moving in with [her grandmother, after the sudden departure of her mother," and as a bookish adolescent who "turns to science for comfort and becomes borderline paranoid about the state of the ecosystem." While that fine reviewer couldn't recommend the film enough, something about what she said didn't jive with my experience of seeing it at the Hampton International Film Fest, when it was first "unfolding" in the US, an occasion which allowed me to talk to its marvelous director/writer at the conclusion of the show. It was my sense that the film is less about the absolute vulnerability of the dispossessed young than the resilient power & rational flexibility of a consciousness coming of age amid, as James Hansen says, our grandchildren's storms. While there is an emotional (ie., mildly explosive) scene in which the activist-to-be, played expertly by Perla-Haney Jardine, is venting much of the confusion & frustration of a life unsupported, call that moment of high-drama borderline or paranoid almost certainly misses the mark that Miss Deller hoped to leave. My sense of what she was trying to project is that these ARE ecologically profoundly unsupported times & that most of us, "selfishly" walking around in our bubbles---relationships, income, tasks, desires, perhaps most in ascendance---have to be nudged away from our individualist habit(at)s BY some measure of noise & light! Indeed, in the putative scene, the apotheosis of expression that this critic felt exhibited borderline/paranoid behavior actually represents what I would call the budding, intense awareness of a human mouthpiece for a mute problem in a gray period within the history of nature.

Indeed, Miss Deller is a deft and subtle enough writer & film-maker to have been able to weave the socio-economic woes of an adolescent "empirically" grappling with torment into the larger fabric of her cognitive, & finally collegial, culture-passion. It's THIS odyssey, more than out-and-out suffering, that's at the heart of the film: how one starts alone, yet accompanied (eg, the metaphoric maternal classroom), & yet how one thrives by achieving a middle course that's inherently social (if artisanally lonely). The careful observer of the film will note how Lauduree negotiates her many relationships via truth & sincerity, but also how her perspectives on others evolve as she unselfishly realizes the attentive value of specialists, hobbyists, enthusiasts...dare I say, cineastes? That coming-of-age challenge, narratively, was, to my mind, masterfully overcome by an eventual solution to an early riddle the movie poses: to kiss, or to be kissed; or ... well, Whether To Kiss At All! Neither spoiling nor alerting here as to what THAT might mean, but one of the most touching aspects of _Future Weather_ is how mothers almost always find their ways back to their children: however unlikely, however haltingly, however far, futile, or unclasped. And since nurturing is, essentially, what saving the planet or sustaining our life-giving environment is all about, the only thing that remains borderline about this film is the question of whether the mass of humanity will become educated enough---indeed, this is the Light that that disruptive scene takes greatest pains to shed---about the verifiable realities of what's before us. Beyond her own "math/science" background, & what appears to be a generational influence of the technical arts, it's anyone's guess as to where Jenny Deller's windy city vision hails from, or how far it can go in the world. But it doesn't take a rocket scientist (although some, like dear Homer Hickam, blend affectionately with us laity!) to know that absorbing this tale is to become intimate with an experiment in human-science, & that if more impressionable youth attend it, fewer minds entering our workforce or going into public service are likely to remain "hid" among the ignorant, indifferent alcoves of, say, private TV. Indeed, I left more illuminated about the ways of extended family, & more "taught" upon the virtues of Men of Good Advice, than I would had I wasted a sawbuck on _2016: Obama's America_ , another kind of future weather all together! For films that are DESIGNED to brainwash, by turning us so, return us to the unquestioned provinces of all-too-familiar belief.

Now I may be paranoid in thinking that the only real fear we have more than 6 mos. into this "indie" release is that it may not be fully nationally distributed by a studio interested in something more than sex, violence, political intrigue or superheroes. But if there are healthy things to BE paranoid about, then I'm happy to claim such fate as my momentary illness.

January 28, 2013
wanna see it.... niño mamado sister´s lili taylor