Futuresport (Future Sport) - Movie Reviews - Rotten Tomatoes

Futuresport (Future Sport) Reviews

½ November 2, 2013
Just when you think a movie can't be worse than rollerball this piece of shit came along. Same feel as rollerball but the game is even less appealing. Dean Cain and Wesley snipes with the worse Jamaican accent ever. Massive pile of garbage this movie sucks mega ass.
½ April 20, 2013
this movie is so bad it's good. seriously. you've got wesley snipes as a jamaican gangster, vanessa williams being...vanessa williams, and dean cain who saves the world from wwIII (or IV or...something) by playing the dumbest-named cross between hockey and rollerball on skateboards known to man. it's pure brilliance.
November 26, 2012
this is a really cheese movie but I still found it to be good.
½ May 7, 2012
so boring and definitely not one for the big screen. it feels as though they were watching rollerball and thought lets make a terrible movie
½ March 5, 2012
A poorly executed Rollerball rip off.
August 5, 2011
Its rollerball with more politics and less suspense. Dean Cain plays a jerk quite well but when he turns all nice half way his character becomes a heck of a lot less interesting. All the other cast act ok aside from wesley snipes who must have been taking the mick! His accent is the worst jamaican accent i have ever heard. Its hilarious to listen to but does the story no favours. And speaking of the story it does not really go anywhere. theres a tedious build up of political unrest which ends with a very unispired game of futureball. The other problem is that future ball the game looks a bit dull to be honest. Like hickey only with higher goals its like watching people on a skate park who are performing no tricks. Theres a generic love angle which is annoying and bogs down the film. The action is slow and uninspired to. Its ok I guess but theres other more deserving films to watch........like rollerball for one!
March 24, 2011
this is a really cheese movie but I still found it to be good.
February 21, 2011
sure it's a bit out there and others have compared it to "rollerball" - which i haven't seen so i can't - but it's still decent sci-fi entertainment. it's also most likely the 1st time i've seen cain since his "superman" days on tv (trying to save the world here too), williams is her usual charming self, and snipes is funny playing the jamaican gangster.
January 16, 2011
In the future (2025 to be precise), a nonsensical mutation of hockey will inexplicably become the most popular thing in the world. So popular, in fact, that it will replace war simply by the sport's champion suggesting it. He didn't even have to meet with any government officials about it. He just challenged the enemy on television. Way to go, Dean Cain.

So, to start, the movie had a pretty far-fetched premise. I'm sure a decent story about replacing war with a game could be told, but this sure isn't it. This really seemed like it was written by high schoolers. There's not much point in getting into the mediocre acting, dull action scenes, or the hoverboards blatantly stolen (but not executed as well) from Back to the Future, Part II.

The big question with this one is: Is it the good-bad type of bad movie? If you're into sports movies, definitely. If not, maybe.
November 4, 2010
Wow....wouldn't it be awesome if all the problems in the world could be solved by a game of sport?
So goes the minuscule idea behind Futuresport and the results are anything but awesome. This dreadfully cheap looking excuse for a movie might have had a fighting chance were it not some kiddie friendly skateboarding game involved but as it is, this is a total waste of time.
Boring doesn't even begin to cover Futuresport. Dean Cain shows just why his post Superman career has been so awful with another bland performance as the ego driven star of the game Futuresport who puts together a rough and tough bunch to take on some Haiwain liberation front. It sounds bollocks, it is bollocks.
Wesley Snipes dons a bad wig and talks in a drawling, thoroughly bored voice as the creator of the game which was meant to solve problems on the streets. He at least knows he's been in better movies.
The sets are computer generated but look like they were done from the same paint box as early 90s kids show Knightmare and the action sequences are non-existent. Rather than actually showing Vanessa Williams rescue scene, it's merely just cut out.
Futuresport is actually painful to sit through. Tired, dull, lifeless and downright crap!
½ November 4, 2010
Even though this film is full of cliches and borrows heavily from earlier and better films like "Rollerball"--the original!--it was surprisingly entertaining. Maybe it was just the Vanessa Williams Factor but I liked it.
½ July 22, 2010
a pretty weak film with a story line that's been done a number of times. the scenes with the actual sport were pretty bad aswell. not one to rush out for,
May 27, 2010
Overall a poorly acted movie, the plot was fairly descent. Wesley Snipes produced another brilliant performance and his prolonged appearence in the movie inhanced the overall quality of acting ten fold.
½ May 27, 2010
Another notch in the belt of Dean Cain's carreer failure. You could feel that the film was hoping to become a cross between Blade Runner, Robocop and some sports-story-feel-good movie, but it ended up being a cross between Robocop 4 and my ass.

The most annoying thing about this movie was pairing up Vanessa Williams and Dean Cain. If ever a couple looked less compatible on screen it was these too. The only thing worse might have been if they cast Donald Sutherland and Teri Hatcher.

I'm so glad I didn't pay to watch this movie.
½ March 18, 2010
It rips off Rollerball. Rollerball was an insanely bad movie. What does that tell you?
½ January 18, 2010
This movie is as cheesy and generic as it gets, but a likable cast and solid story will keep you entertained from beginning to end.
July 17, 2009
Considering it is what it says it is there is little to be disappointed about in futuresport. It delivers the science fiction action and the idea of a new sport call futuresport. The movie has some good moments and Wesley Snipes shows off a couple moves. It is not his movie Dean Cain is the main actor and he does his job well. Valerie Chow is nice too. I felt that the movie is fine escapist fun for sci fi lovers and for me because i love the low budget sci fi genre which usually gets dismissed because people expect every sci fi movie to have big budget special effects. Overall, you know what you get and it entertains well.
June 25, 2009
Wonderful fun film.... Dean Cain and Wesley Snipes, what more could you ask for
½ January 25, 2009
Futuresport is a movie set (suprise) in a future where a sport called, ahem, "Futuresport," is the world's most popular pastime. There's also lots of trouble because of Hawaiin terrorists, and the world has been redivided into continental unions for some reason. It stars Dean Cain as Futuresport's top athelete, Vannessa Williams as a hot reporter and Wesley Snipes as a cool black guy. Vancouver serves once again as futureplace.

It was awful, of course, but that's not what I want to write about.

Here's the thing that bothered me the most; you see, if you're in the future, it is not the future, it is the present. Accordingly, when one invents a game in the future, say a game resembling a cross between handball and basketball, only played on levitating skateboards with an electrified ball, one would not call it "Futuresport" because, again, in the future the future is the present, and they would be no more cognizant of their being in the future from the vantage-point of a person in 2008 then I am cognizant of my futuristic status in comparison to some poor fellow named Kevin Leeson in 1994. I suspect the game's inventor (Wesley Snipes) would call it "lever-ball" or"present-daysport" or something.

Maybe it's a stupid complaint, but I just couldn't get past all these people talking about Futuresport this and Futuresport that and "have you forgotten the true meaning of Futuresport?" And if one can't get past that, one cannot have the necessary level of suspension of disbelief to accept the rest of movie. Oh! And if you're going to get dinged by the ratings board for having nudity in a film, why not go all out, instead of just one brief blurry shot? The film could have held my interest much more effectively if Vanessa Williams had been naked the whole time. She could have been a reporter for, I don't know, "The Future Naked News Broadcasting System."

Speaking of which, I'm hungry. I think I'll have a "Future-sandwich."

Kevin Factor: Since Mr. Leeson was Dean Cain's stunt-double in the skateboarding scenes, he has probably already scene this film.
½ November 30, 2008
Poor man's Rollerball, but still enjoyable, Wesley Snipes is supporting actor in this 90's movie.